Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Webbo

Leicester 1- Everton 2 post match thread.

I think we can try and find any excuse possible, but in short it wasn’t good enough, and has usually been the case against teams you’d consider more on our level. It’s frustrating because we all know we’re better than what we produce sometimes, and I think it is largely down to Puel. He is far too stubborn, he keeps persisting with the wrong players in the wrong positions. It commonly never worked, so why will it now? The sooner he understands this, the sooner we might improve, however I can’t see it happening.... he will eventually fall on his sword.

• Like 1

Frustrating one that for me. Didn’t have any complaints at the time with the sending off and watching MOTD, I still don’t. Having said that, I firmly believe that with 11 on the pitch, we’d have won that game.

We dominated most of the game and limited Everton to a few chances and they settled it with what could potentially be the best goal we see at the KP this season.

A few players had off days but I saw enough to encourage me. We will play worse than that and win at some point in the season. Onwards and upwards.

6 hours ago, Beechey said:

Erm, we missed a clear 1 on 1 and missed an unchallenged header from like 4 yards out.

Were  you at the match Vardey missed 2 sitters and Maddison one and Chiiiwell could have scored thats  4 how  many  doyou want for somebody to say we never looked  like scoring is ridiculous

• Like 1

1 hour ago, OhYesNdidi said:

Unfortunately it’s the people who think we should finish 7th or 6th are usually the ones who want the manager sacked every time we lose a game. We have an average age of about 23 with decent young talents. We have some good players & not so good players. I am pretty sure we made a profit this transfer window in terms of spending and have just lost our best player in the summer. 

We will finish between 9th-12th which is probably where we should be looking at our team. We aren’t going to win every week ffs. 

I agree with this, can we stop showing a bit of ambition and be happy with mid table every year please because it’s getting boring.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Foxaholic ME said:

Were  you at the match Vardey missed 2 sitters and Maddison one and Chiiiwell could have scored thats  4 how  many  doyou want for somebody to say we never looked  like scoring is ridiculous

Yeah I don't know how people can say we didn't look like scoring. Wes going off changed everything in this game.

28 minutes ago, Costock_Fox said:

I agree with this, can we stop showing a bit of ambition and be happy with mid table every year please because it’s getting boring.

Ambition doesn't have to mean expecting instant gratification of unrealistic expectations. We all want to see the club improve but lasting change takes time, you can't let one magical season make you forget that success doesn't usually happen overnight...

The bottom line is, under Puel, we will likely never be more than a mid table team. The inconsistency is really quite shocking. We look dangerous for maybe 15 minutes a game and if we don't score in that period, generally we lose.

I really struggle to see the direction we are headed with him. The occasional win simply acts as a smokescreen to the fact they the majority of our current football is some of the most boring, backwards nonsense we've seen in a long time. Tactically, Puel is out of his depth.

Edited by Larry_LCFC

I don't post often but just have to say, with the upmost respect, it really does look like Wes can't keep up at this level  anymore. 3 seasons ago Richalison would never of gotten round him for the first yellow. The second was just silly, closer to the half way line than the box, why even risk that foul I just don't know. It was clear the game took a turn after that red, we were taking control of the game up until then.

Hate to say it as I've always liked big Wes and he has been an iconic captain for us, but perhaps its time for him to take a step back from starting. He will always be a club legend, but the club is moving forward and I don't think he can keep up.

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, Larry_LCFC said:

The bottom line is, under Puel, we will likely never be more than a mid table team. The inconsistency is really quite shocking. We look dangerous for maybe 15 minutes a game and if we don't score in that period, generally we lose.

I really struggle to see the direction we are headed with him. The occasional win simply acts as a smokescreen to the fact they the majority of our current football is some of the most boring, backwards nonsense we've seen in a long time. Tactically, Puel is out of his depth.

The owners are trying to build a sustainable Premier League club that can progress and develop over the next 20 years. They said recently that they would evaluate the clubs performance, in context of the season in general, at the end of each season. Puel is introducing the blueprint and background for what the owners see as a sustainable approach to a Premier League club that empathizes youth and player development. This should pay dividends in the future.

As long as we don't start skirting near relegation, the owners will not pull the trigger regardless of one or two bad results, they will judge performance and the prospects of the squad at the end of the season.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Beechey said:

Other than the obvious ones, Vardy was really bad. Needs to get involved in play more - and uou simply cannot miss clear 1 on 1's like that.

I don't think 4-2-3-1 suits Vardy's game. He gets frustrated. When we play to his strengths we look so much better.

9 hours ago, Nod.E said:

First time I'm questioning Puel after that.

Kenny was having a shocker for them. Why not exploit an obvious weakness?

Why not exploit an obvious weakness? The manager has one way of playing. He's consistent if nothing else.

9 hours ago, lcfceaves said:

I'd really love someone to explain to me what they think Puel's game plan is... I am assuming it must be:

- Start slowly, pass sideways extremely slowly and try and bore everyone to death.

- Start 2 defensive centre mids, neither of which are comfortable on the ball, so Maguire has little choice when Kasper kicks it to him...

- Score on the counter attack, but for god sake don't do it again... go back to playing the ball sideways

- Start Wes Morgan and hope he doesn't f*** up again, even though he invariably does (one good game against Joselu though must mean is the best in the world)

Yep, agree with all of that.

9 hours ago, Webbo said:

I've never ever been anti Wes but you could see that red card a mile off. Maybe Evans would have struggled the same but at least we'd have had 11 men.

I think we all saw it a mile off. Morgan is one of Puel's blind spots. We saw that last season (cc Dragovic)

9 hours ago, Shane said:

The tempo of our game is all wrong. In the last minute all our players were pressing and sprinting at whichever Everton player was on the ball. Why can’t we do that from the beginning of the match.

On the ball we are far too slow and there is a lack of movement so the player on the ball is forced to go backwards.

The tempo does annoy me far too often.

9 hours ago, Langston said:

Iheanacho simply doesn't fit with Vardy and was a waste of a shirt today bar a couple (?) of moments of decent link up play. Non-existent touch and simply not a clever enough footballer to be a number ten. We don't create enough chances in the six yard box for him to poach, which is what he is. Move him on.

It's definitely no all the manager's fault but I can't help but feel someone else could really get something out of this group of players.

Iheanacho is so bloody frustrating. The odd flash of brilliance and too much laziness and lack of awareness.

9 hours ago, SecretPro said:

Our movement is so poor the majority of the time. Nothing creative and an abundance of Henderson style passing 

Puel wants us to be a possession based team. But you need the players for that.

9 hours ago, Tom12345 said:

I am with those who think Iborra should play instead of Ndidi. But there is no chance for Puel. It is clear Ndidi is always one of the first names he put down on the teamsheet. Ndidi has never even been subbed out by Puel.

I get that Puel has a vision but with that comes a stubborness.

8 hours ago, Larry_LCFC said:

Puel's post match nterviews are the most uninspiring load of dull bullshit. Same nonsense spouted week in week out. If this is how he motivates the team, it says an awful lot.

His demeanour with the players, so I'm told, is similar to that with the press. We don't want a rent-a-quote clown but we do want someone who the players will run through brick walls for.

8 hours ago, Col city fan said:

I’ve said before that right hand side of the defence will cost us points. And it has again today. 

The manager has made up his mind that Danny Simpson doesn't suit his style.

8 hours ago, Bert said:

it’s time for N’didi to have a stint on the bench. He can’t play football. His passing is awful. Most of the time he wins the ball back he’s given it away himself.

He's one of the manager's favourites though.

8 hours ago, ttfn said:

Also can we just take a moment to appreciate that goal by Sigurdsson.

A lot of doom and gloom in here but in the end we were only beaten by an incredible goal from a top class player.

A Cruyff turn and a worldie finish. Maddison will be great - I hope he watched their no10 and picked up some tips.

2 hours ago, dormelcfc said:

We will play worse than that and win at some point in the season. 

Wolves? Southampton?

Less than half as many shots as Everton, and only two on target (to their eight) at home. Again. But at least we won the all-important possession stats...

Eight PL red cards in Puel's first year in charge suggests there is a discipline issue. Maybe some of it is down to frustration.

You can see players getting frustrated because they're trying to play "the Puel way" and it sits uncomfortably with some of them. As @Lanston said above "It's definitely not all the manager's fault but I can't help but feel someone else could really get something out of this group of players."

Obviously I get stick here and Twitter for "negativity" but I call it how I see it. Puel can be successful with us if he's prepared to be more flexible with his beliefs. I want him to succeed because then it means my club succeeds. 

But we must be honest about the areas he needs to improve.

• Like 4

It's very hard to call it a 4-2-3-1. Maddison wasn't really playing on the left, Chilwell was very advanced, Pereira dropped back to help Amartey out on the right, Amartey often tucked in to help the CBs. It was a peculiar, lopsided formation and it wouldn't hurt to go for something a little more organised and balanced next time out. It feels like we're trying to make a 4-2-3-1 / 4-4-1-1 system work with players that don't quite fit those shapes. If our key attacking arc is Vardy-Maddison-Iheanacho, as MOTD suggested recently, then we'll have to look at alternative formations. I'm fed up of hearing about 3-5-2, but we may need to look at it, or perhaps even a few unexpected, or even unpopular, changes in personnel.

I'd go easy on Puel, though. Too many players simply didn't perform to their best. That's to be expected from time to time with Maguire, Ndidi, Maddison who are all developing, but he's got to feel let down by his veterans too, in Morgan and Vardy. If they'd performed today, we'd have had at least a point.

That said, it's noticeable that the over-elaborate football delivers very little for us (our goals are still set pieces and counters) but offers chances on a plate for opposition sides. I see no problem with us managing the ball more in games, but if you're playing against a side which is pressing high then it's unwise to be pissing about with the ball and repeatedly giving it away in your own half. When we played it out from the back and went down the right flank, we played the same balls between Amartey, Pereira and Mendy every time, and they came away with it every time. How hard is it to adapt within games, as well as between them?

Maguire was truly shocking. He repeatedly put us on the back foot, and slowed things down. If he's going to remain undroppable then we're going to have to see more consistency from him.

Over the season we've lacked physicality, height. A lot of players look sluggish early in games (or, in today's case, throughout the game - Ndidi, in addition to his dodgy distribution, seemed a yard off the pace, ditto Maddison). So we're being punished by poor individual performances which are hard for Puel to control, but there are plenty of things he can address too.

• Like 1

It's such a shame that Wes got sent off when he did because I thought up until that point in the second half our second goal was a matter of time. We were finding huge spaces between their midfield and defence and all it would take was one well-timed run from Vardy and we'd be in front.

Unfortunately it was blindingly obvious that Richarlison had the better of Wes and given we could still make all three subs I was baffled that Puel didn't bring on Evans. Wes is a big boy, he can accept being subbed on a bad day, captain or not, and unfortunately Puel's bad in-game management cost us. Granted the second yellow was soft but I don't think Wes could have had too many complaints if he'd been sent off after the foul on the touchline, so a red card on his next foul was almost inevitable. 

Back to the drawing board. I don't think our current set up is too bad if we want to squeeze Maddison, Iheanacho and Vardy into a team but it gives us a very lopsided look. Like everyone else I don't see why we don't try 352, but Puel has his style.  

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Ric Flair said:

Kind of, but we still don’t have the best players playing in it. Maddison time and time again today got the ball on the left too deep, he needs to be finding space further forward and stretching the opposition. If we are to play 3 at the back then Soyuncu is going to be integral as he’s the only CB with an iota of pace, unless after 4 seasons we’re finally going to try Amartey there.

Even when he's playing in the center of 2 winger he still spend most of his time at half space. There's almost no difference here. 

And we didn't even try amartey. He already our right sided cb for past 2 match

I wonder why people keep asking about the paper like they just read news and never watch the match. 

7 hours ago, NaijaFox said:

May well be, but subs are supposed to be situational. And frankly the situation, where Richarlison had been running a yellow-carded Wes ragged while flopping at every challenge, called for a sub. 

Happens week in, week out. Every game across the country is likely to have one of those battles. You’d expect the manager to trust a defender with the yellow card.