Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Finley Parsons

Helicopter crash

This alert was issued by Leonardo Helicopter Division. It's probably safe to assume the 'in service event' is the Leicester chopper

Following an in service event, this Service Bulletin requires an urgent check of the
proper installation and functionality of the Tail Rotor servo-actuator feedback lever
installation and interface on the back end of the component.
Incorrect installation may lead to loss of Tail Rotor control which, depending on the
flight condition, could lead to loss of control of the aircraft.
Feedback on the compliance to this Service Bulletin is required

• Thanks 4

Just now, OzFox said:

Yeah I was thinking the same ;)

Seems to be a lot of disagreement about the puff of smoke and the takeoff 

I think that's just "normal" engine start up? You should see my Land Rover when I start it in the morning - makes the street look like 1950's London Pea Souper for a few minutes!

• Haha 2

1 minute ago, stripeyfox said:

I think that's just "normal" engine start up? You should see my Land Rover when I start it in the morning - makes the street look like 1950's London Pea Souper for a few minutes!

Yeah that's what most of them were saying....unburnt fuel etc.

Others thought it implied something more serious like an oil leak. 

On 05/11/2018 at 19:32, Wymeswold fox said:

Decided to read the first few pages of this thread as didn't at the time of the posts and it still feels horrifying and surreal now..

I just did the same and cannot believe that despite the tragedy, people still had the desire to argue on the very first few pages of the devastating thread. Football fans eh. 

• Thanks 1

51 minutes ago, Vardinio'sCat said:

That alert is desperately sad. A single nut with a split pin and locking wire potentially failing, how can that happen? Sounds like someone f**d up. :( Thanks to whoever found that forum, I'd rather know why, even if it won't bring them back.

The disastrous consequences of a single faulty piece of metal. Atleast it appears it was not human error, that would be even worse.

31 minutes ago, Larry_LCFC said:

The disastrous consequences of a single faulty piece of metal. Atleast it appears it was not human error, that would be even worse.

The wording of that alert which specifies "incorrect installation" seems to suggest it was human error... I do hope I'm wrong :(

Edited by brucey

8 minutes ago, brucey said:

The wording of that alert which specifies "incorrect installation" seems to suggest it was human error... I do hope I'm wrong :(

Having watched far too many episodes of Air Crash Investigation or whatever it was on Discovery in days gone by, human error seems to be by far the most common factor in air disasters. It's nearly always down to somebody misreading an instrument, using the wrong tool, fitting slightly the wrong part, mishearing an instruction, exceeding some control tolerance, etc etc

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

32 minutes ago, brucey said:

I mean pilot error. There was nothing anybody could have done on the night to change the outcome.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, brucey said:

If this proves to be the cause, there is no way it could have left the factory like that! The nut may have been removed in a maintenance procedure carried out since manufacture. 

There are even suggestions on the pprune forum that it could have been a deliberate act of sabotage. Though that must be highly unlikely. 

27 minutes ago, Farrington fox said:

If this proves to be the cause, there is no way it could have left the factory like that! The nut may have been removed in a maintenance procedure carried out since manufacture. 

There are even suggestions on the pprune forum that it could have been a deliberate act of sabotage. Though that must be highly unlikely. 

if that was the case though it seems fine beforehand from where it has come, landed fine etc so any act of sabotage surely would have had to happen prior to it taking back off which is very unlikely like you say.