Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
fuchsntf

Kasper Schmeichel...

I'm really not a fan of Kasper Schmeichel. 

I get he can be a great shot stopper for the most part but his positioning is questionable for a number of goals throughout the years. 

Another frustration is his inability to actually kick a ball and keep it within the field of play. 

I've also heard, from a fairly reliable source who works for the club, that Kasper is the instigator of the 'click' that saw managers sacked through player power. Having seen his attitude and arrogance over and over, this becomes more believable. 

• Like 1

I don't mean this as ammo for replacing Kasper, I'm not exactly sure where I stand on the topic - but that data, whilst sure, being valid, implies Roberto for West Ham for example was a decent keeper who performed above average in his xSave Percentage, which might be true, but he was an absolute garbage fire for them. We all know Kasper excels at shot stopping, but it's the other areas of his game that he could stand to improve on.

Edited by The_Rorab
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, The_Rorab said:

I don't mean this as ammo for replacing Kasper, I'm not exactly sure where I stand on the topic - but that data, whilst sure, being valid, implies Roberto for West Ham for example was a decent keeper who performed above average in his xSave Percentage, which might be true, but he was an absolute garbage fire for them. We all know Kasper excels at shot stopping, but it's the other areas of his game that he could stand to improve on.

agreed

shot stopping percentage range from the best 1 Henderson 74%  to 19 pickford 62.5%

there isn't much in it with top flight keepers.

What does become noticeable, is if you check the other assets of a keepers game

high claims

image.png.9170fb36298100d82f16c08af9535a4e.png

punches

image.png.8976add94bfb3721230c441e246b0380.png 

1 hour ago, HankMarvin said:

agreed

shot stopping percentage range from the best 1 Henderson 74%  to 19 pickford 62.5%

there isn't much in it with top flight keepers.

What does become noticeable, is if you check the other assets of a keepers game

high claims

image.png.9170fb36298100d82f16c08af9535a4e.png

punches

image.png.8976add94bfb3721230c441e246b0380.png 

But that’s also misrepresentative as there’s way more than 20 goalkeepers who have played in the prem

2 minutes ago, StanSP said:

Kasper also has 8 clean sheets this season.

Only Alisson, Pope and Henderson above him in that regard so far.

Strange how we alot clean sheets to goalkeepers and not the defence or other players in front of them. If the opposition don't have any shots on target for example, how can that be credited to the goalkeeper? Or, arguably you could have a goalkeeper like Fabianski who despite a  poor defence in front of him regularly protects his team. Therefore it is a misleading statistic unless broken down further. I don't know what it would look like in Schmeichel's case but outside of Liverpool up until Christmas, I would suggest that he had one of the strongest back fours in the Premiership in front of him. 

1 minute ago, volpeazzurro said:

Strange how we alot clean sheets to goalkeepers and not the defence or other players in front of them. If the opposition don't have any shots on target for example, how can that be credited to the goalkeeper? Or, arguably you could have a goalkeeper like Fabianski who despite a  poor defence in front of him regularly protects his team. Therefore it is a misleading statistic unless broken down further. I don't know what it would look like in Schmeichel's case but outside of Liverpool up until Christmas, I would suggest that he had one of the strongest back fours in the Premiership in front of him. 

Same goes for saves then, as well.

Kasper is relatively middle ground (11th) but does he make less saves because the defence in front of him stops the amount of shots that get through?

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, HankMarvin said:

feel free to contact the premier league to ask them why there is only 20 on the page

Not saying that or that it was intentional but 12 and 16/20 looks way worse than 12 and 16 out of 29 (I think).

also absolute numbers tell us very little anyway 

Edited by bmt

5 minutes ago, HankMarvin said:

what relevance would it be for the keepers that have played a couple of games

29 keepers haven't played 25 games or even 10 

To be honest i hadn’t seen it was absolute numbers until after I responded. But using absolute numbers isn’t that fair either, note Alisson isn’t on the lists because nobody ever manages to get a cross in against them and Adrian has played half the games. You wouldn’t argue they’re bad keepers because of it.

Edited by bmt

10 minutes ago, volpeazzurro said:

Clean sheets can only be credited to goalkeepers on the number of saves they've had to make. I agree if you have a solid defence and the opposition doesn't actually get a shot on target the clean sheet cannot be credited to the goalkeeper.

8 minutes ago, StanSP said:

Same goes for saves then, as well.

Kasper is relatively middle ground (11th) but does he make less saves because the defence in front of him stops the amount of shots that get through?

I think they are both indeterminate hence statistics can be flawed depending upon how you measure them. However, if the opposition don't have a shot, both of us, if employed between the sticks could attain the same stats.

7 minutes ago, bmt said:

To be honest i hadn’t seen it was absolute numbers until after I responded. But using absolute numbers isn’t that fair either, note Alisson isn’t on the lists because nobody ever manages to get a cross in against them and Adrian has played half the games. You wouldn’t argue they’re bad keepers because of it.

Leno
ARSGKP
Ryan
BHAGKP
Pope
BURGKP
Pickford
EVEGKP
Schmeichel
LEIGKP
de Gea
MUNGKP
Dubravka
NEWGKP
Foster
WATGKP
Patrício
WOLGKP
Ramsdale
BOUGKP
Kepa
CHEGKP
Henderson
SHUGKP
Guaita
CRYGKP
Krul
NORGKP
Ederson
MCIGKP
Heaton
AVLGKP
Gazzaniga
TOTGKP
Alisson
LIVGKP
McCarthy
SOUGKP
Fabianski
WHUGKP
Gunn
SOUGKP

only 21 keepers have played over 10 games 900 minutes, the rest are irrelevant when considering the punch and high clams stats

Edited by HankMarvin

2 hours ago, Toddybad said:

This season so far. Goalkeeping performance based on expected save percentage (a gk version of xG)

ENp0_FaWwAIwALc.jpeg

Pope was top and Kasper was near-bottom a couple seasons ago, now they've switched places. Debatable how accurate this metric is. 

• Like 2