Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
fuchsntf

Kasper Schmeichel...

I think I may have ignited this with my “next position to upgrade” comments.

For me, he’s a great shot stopper, who has glaring weaknesses, that we’re all aware of. 

When you have a really commanding centre back, ala Huth in front of you, he’ll negate some of those, as he takes control. As good as Evans / Soyuncu are, they aren’t that type of defender. 

We’ve changed styles and like Manchester City before us with Joe Hart, I’m of the opinion that we need a keeper that fits our more progressive style.

I wouldn’t get rid of Kasper, I’d bring a different style of keeper in to challenge him though.  

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Sly said:

For me, he’s a great shot stopper, who has glaring weaknesses, that we’re all aware of. 

When you have a really commanding centre back, ala Huth in front of you, he’ll negate some of those, as he takes control. As good as Evans / Soyuncu are, they aren’t that type of defender. 

We’ve changed styles and like Manchester City before us with Joe Hart, I’m of the opinion that we need a keeper that fits our more progressive style.

I wouldn’t get rid of Kasper, I’d bring a different style of keeper in to challenge him though.  

I think those are fair and valid observations.

• Like 3

23 hours ago, Sly said:

interestingly enough

The season we won the league 

He was in the top 5 with 49 high claims

image.png.c98158c3ae1f357ebd834882b406af5f.png

2015/16

5th 49 high claims

206/17

6th- 39 high claims

2017/18

9th - 28 high claims

2018/19

17th - 12 high claims

So for what ever reason, that part of he game has dropped off massively.

Edited by HankMarvin
  • Like 1

Just now, yorkie1999 said:

Yes, but he wasn't expected to save those goals.

xG is debatable.

Give a 1-1 chance against Kasper to:

Cristiano Ronaldo,

Lionel Messi,

Sergio Aguerro

Harvey Barnes, 

Wes Morgan

Harry Maguire

Sadio Mane

N’Golo Kante

Wesley

How many would you expect Kasper to save? xG would have you believe all of them would score, which in reality, wouldn’t be the case. 

• Like 3

15 minutes ago, brucey said:

Pope was top and Kasper was near-bottom a couple seasons ago, now they've switched places. Debatable how accurate this metric is. 

Like any comparison based on xG, the longer the period looked at, the more value it has.  This example covering just half a season, has limited value IMO.

The average keeper will give up 1.0 goals per xG (and the average finisher will score 1.0 goals per xG) over the long run.  Simply because that's how the metric is designed!  Players who significantly outperform XG over the long run, are not common.

For example, Vardy and Kane are among the elite few who've done that for their careers.  But you could easily find half-seasons where they underperformed xG.  Sometimes you just don't get the bounces.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, squarez said:

Because for as many wastes of space as there are within the entire Manchester United heirarchy David De Gea is not one of them.

De Gea is already out of favor with the higher-ups. Plenty of talk about swapping him out for Henderson next season.

Kasper has been fantastic for the club. Corners are his weakness and always have been. His shot stopping is great and been and may still is one of our best players.

For those mentioning replace Kasper. I would like us to go for Pope at Burnley. I think he has all attributes to be a superb gk for many years for us. Admittedly will cost around 35-40m. 

I don’t see Nick Pope as an upgrade on KS in the short term. Again, he’s got his weaknesses, distribution being one of them. 

I can’t think of anyone that jumps out that I’d take and would immediately replace KS.

You’ve got to factor in the language barrier as well. 

• Haha 1

9 minutes ago, Sly said:

I don’t see Nick Pope as an upgrade on KS in the short term. Again, he’s got his weaknesses, distribution being one of them. 

I can’t think of anyone that jumps out that I’d take and would immediately replace KS.

You’ve got to factor in the language barrier as well. 

Wouldn't take long to learn 'mine' and 'yours' even for a Professional footballer!..(excluding Dimarai Gray of course).

11 hours ago, Sly said:

Well said and spot on ..  we all love Kasper but but time moves on and he needs competition...   not only for us as a club but for Kasper himself.  There is no reason why he cannot strive to improve or adjust his game.

22 hours ago, Sly said:

xG is debatable.

Give a 1-1 chance against Kasper to:

Cristiano Ronaldo,

Lionel Messi,

Sergio Aguerro

Harvey Barnes, 

Wes Morgan

Harry Maguire

Sadio Mane

N’Golo Kante

Wesley

How many would you expect Kasper to save? xG would have you believe all of them would score, which in reality, wouldn’t be the case. 

Not that I'm defending the metric but this isn't how xG works.  Defensive positioning is one of the things taken into account by their algorithms, about the only thing that it would class as a 100% chance to score is if the ball is already on the goal line and there are no players around the attacker.  If Kasper is on his line then the xG people will never claim it's a 1:1 chance so your hypothetical scenario can't exist.

23 hours ago, coolhandfox said:

One thing's for sure in my eyes Ward isn't a long term successor! 

His been here a while and hasn't really put KS under and pressure for his spot.

Iversen is regular goalkeeper at Rotherham (who are top of div 1) and (I understand) is doing reasonably well - although his distribution may not be better than Kasper's. It will be interesting to see if he is back up keeper next season; I can't see an immediate replacement being bought as Kasper had been doing well until Christmas or thereabouts. He is not only player to have a dip in form.