Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
fuchsntf

Kasper Schmeichel...

If we were to replace him it would have to be with someone better which of course would be the problem.

His shot stopping is top notch, his distribution very doubtful at times, but it is his command of his area and dealing with crosses that has been appalling since he got here. His total lack of improvement in this area is a mystery, doesn't he try? Is it because he's never had any competition he's not felt the need to try? Do we not have a decent goalkeeping coach or is Caspar of such a personality that he doesn't feel he needs to listen? Who knows. 

Personally,  I don't feel that Ward is capable of being a kick in the arse for him. I note that Dean Henderson is only on loan to Sheffield United and, should he become available perhaps they would be favourites to sign him if he's happy there but I think he'd be worth investing a lot of money in. To me he's already ahead of Casper at only a young age and would pick him ahead of him. Caspar would be forced to make more effort to improve or move on. If he was that loyal to us, he'd have made more effort to have improved upon those poor traits within his game that have been his Achilles heal as far back as his Man City days which is why he always played second fiddle to Joe Hart.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 02/02/2020 at 11:28, Kopfkino said:

How refreshing to see both Roy Hodgson and Thomas Frank say good things about their goalkeepers after making howlers yesterday compared to the reaction of our fans to Schmeichel (tbh fans whinge about loyalty but are normally more disloyal than anyone in football). Absolutely for the first goal yesterday he should be on his six yard line getting glove to ball and the second he is responsible for organising his defence. 

Just yesterday in the PL, Guaita carries the ball into his own, Fabianski makes a mess of things and punches the ball onto his own player for a goal, Ryan was in no man's land for Diop's goal, Ramsdale was nowhere for both Villa's goal and the one where he punched Engels, Caballero made a bit of a hash of things in the lead up to Chilwell's goal. 

These are well known weaknesses of Kasper that will continue to cost us if teams keep targeting them.

Manager's should back their keepers if they make an uncharacteristic mistake, it's a mistake. All our fans have been aware of Kasper's shortcomings from a long time and he's not really shown any improvement in controlling his area.

I think it's more than acceptable to want to look for a more rounded keeper at this stage. We're trying to strengthen in all other areas.

i would take the villa keeper after his 2 showings against us.

or at least someone who can push Kasper for the top spot as he seems un droppable, competition for places can only be healthy and it seems Ward offers none.

Edited by Cujek

He's one of those characters that I honestly don't know how we begin to replace him, he might be having a fairly ordinary/crap spell but he had up to Christmas been exceptional for us this season. His weight loss was being talked about by fans and the media as a noticeable difference to his improvement in his stats.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Les-TA-Jon said:

Kaspar has weaknesses, that have been well known and pretty much ever present since we signed him: weak at crosses and corners, and occasional poor distribution. None of this is new or particularly rearing its head in this moment. 

For some reason FT has been dominated by scape-goatism this season, and it seems it's his turn, since Barnes and Chilwell have a few weeks off since they scored? 

What is the argument here? Kaspar has some weaknesses, so get rid? That applies to virtually all of our players. 

You move Schmeichel on and then what? You're looking at £20-40m at a replacement who isn't guaranteed to be equitable, let alone an strict upgrade. And even if we do that, what advantage does it give us in real terms? Especially when we have much bigger priorities in the transfer market this summer, namely 1) wingers! 2) more forwards 3) an experienced midfielder etc etc. 

I totally agree.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Cujek said:

i would take the villa keeper after his 2 showings against us.

or at least someone who can push Kasper for the top spot as he seems un droppable, competition for places can only be healthy and it seems Ward offers none.

I agree he must be absolutely p.........d   off to be dropped and saw Rysdale perform at Bournemouth

21 minutes ago, Les-TA-Jon said:

Kaspar has weaknesses, that have been well known and pretty much ever present since we signed him: weak at crosses and corners, and occasional poor distribution. None of this is new or particularly rearing its head in this moment. 

For some reason FT has been dominated by scape-goatism this season, and it seems it's his turn, since Barnes and Chilwell have a few weeks off since they scored? 

What is the argument here? Kaspar has some weaknesses, so get rid? That applies to virtually all of our players. 

You move Schmeichel on and then what? You're looking at £20-40m at a replacement who isn't guaranteed to be equitable, let alone an strict upgrade. And even if we do that, what advantage does it give us in real terms? Especially when we have much bigger priorities in the transfer market this summer, namely 1) wingers! 2) more forwards 3) an experienced midfielder etc etc. 

Absolutely agree with this. Kasper does have some weaknesses, of course, but he's at his best when the defensive unit in front of him are at their best.

This season he's let in 26 in the league - the THIRD best record after Sheffield United (23) and Liverpool (15).

1325841527_Screenshot2020-02-03at15_49_40.thumb.png.e4819c0e66cd6ffdd70876ce342fa4bc.png

7 of those came against Man City and Liverpool over Christmas, when it can be argued that they had a dodgy penalty each - but that's a pointless discussion really as we all know we were very, very far from our best.

Anyone want to know how many goals he'd let in after 25 league games the season we won the league?

Which was joint 5th best:

799196409_Screenshot2020-02-03at15_45_26.thumb.png.cf13e834e6f4886473c92c3edba3057d.png

Is there room for improvement?

Perhaps.

Some better competition might help, but the market in its current state it would be very, very hard to get value for money.

I've been pleased with Ward's cup appearances personally, but £12m is a hell of a lot for a reserve keeper.

Kasper's 33 now and I think he has at least 2 or 3 good seasons left in him - in which time we should be constantly doing our utmost to upgrade and improve the defensive unit.

A couple of seasons at our new training ground, and in the Champions League, would see us in a much better place to be able to attract and afford a world class keeper.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Deeg67 said:

I don't see any reason Manchester United doesn't recall Henderson and make him their #1 keeper.  He's not being sold permanently to us or anyone else.

Because for as many wastes of space as there are within the entire Manchester United heirarchy David De Gea is not one of them.

10 minutes ago, Les-TA-Jon said:

If possible and affordable, you should always strive to upgrade all of your squad in order to progress,  surely that's football isn't it? That maxim is even more pertinent to us should we get into the Champions League and attempt to finish in the top 4 of the Premiership again.

However, it is of course sensible to address the weakest elements of your squad first but also with a keen eye on value in the market and possibly even sell on value as appears to be our current transfer strategy. 

I think most supporters currently tend to think that a top quality winger is of prime importance but like any other position, it depends who's available, at what price and whether that player would even want to come to Leicester. After that, there's talk of another CB for back up purposes and even a forward for the future as Vardy is not getting any younger and it's debatable whether Iheanacho is going to become a 20 goal a season player. After that, personally, I see Schmeichel as one of our weaker links that if a genuine upgrade became available, we'd be foolish not to consider it for the betterment of the club. Should for example Henderson or Pope be available at a reasonable price, I don't think the club should hesitate as both are arguably already better, have room for improvement and obvious sell on value. Schmeichel is of a certain age and given his weaknesses and seemingly his inability or unwillingness to improve these things for a number of years now, to not consider a potential upgrade would be foolhardy. I certainly feel that for next season, should Morgan leave as is expected, then Evans or someone other than Caspar be made captain. I personally don't as a rule feel that a goalkeeper in general positionally makes an ideal captain, but there's more to the job than just having a big mouth. Schmeichel can often be seen berating one of his players for a mistake that has come to fruition due to one of his own mistakes or inadequacies. Evans for example would be a senior figure with a calmer head who has achieved and experienced far more in the game than Caspar ever will.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, filbertway said:

These are well known weaknesses of Kasper that will continue to cost us if teams keep targeting them.

Manager's should back their keepers if they make an uncharacteristic mistake, it's a mistake. All our fans have been aware of Kasper's shortcomings from a long time and he's not really shown any improvement in controlling his area.

I think it's more than acceptable to want to look for a more rounded keeper at this stage. We're trying to strengthen in all other areas.

Perspectives...Not All our fans..!!!     

Some see a View point that runs with theirs,then Pick up on it und Let it run....

Banks,Shilton,Wallington also had their degressers & demeaners  ,and loved nothing more, than to pick on errors,mistakes and so called shortcomings.

Kasper Schmeichel,or at the Moment our No1 GK,he is there on merit...he his still a large part of our successful defence,who has(had) hit some Shakey form.

Unlike some,I wont break any crockery over Form dips,or perceived weaknesses ,opinionated & expressed from others..!!!

I also am Not so daft,to push my own  thoughts, to a seemingly obvious point that it just also be the Thoughts of the majority or even "ALL"

Especially in football.....

I dislike the negative pecking,that goes down & through to the core,of individuals,it puts the character of our Team as an whole in question,which seems a bit

obstroculous as we are Now in a Position to Finish in one of our  best

"positions for the now & importantly the future"  that we have ever been in, both on & off the field....

I will Jump in the trench  & fight for even those that have only negative opinions, but for me,

there are times to encourage & support,and Hang back  to Show prudence  than always pushing those vains or create veins of negativity...

This Forum unfortunately carries an heavy baggage & History ......

But hey-ho. Happy-clappers & misgogs,are doomed for eternity,to Share their paths through life...:kissing:....:chant:

3 hours ago, Rigga said:

Young English.. £25-£30m ?

Have loved Kasper during his time here..I just see bits in his game that doesn’t make him top class and he won’t be getting better over the next couple of years.

No chance they are selling him for that price, I'd be surprise if they wanted less then 40m  

Its time for us to hire a keeper who can aspire to get picked ahead of kasper.   We know kaspers strengths and his weaknesses.  He is adequate but not top six... just as liverpool had to rethink the goalie situation....so must we.

The worst that can happen is we stick with kasper ... but if someone can offer more then happy days

• Like 1

6 hours ago, volpeazzurro said:

If we were to replace him it would have to be with someone better which of course would be the problem.

His shot stopping is top notch, his distribution very doubtful at times, but it is his command of his area and dealing with crosses that has been appalling since he got here. His total lack of improvement in this area is a mystery, doesn't he try? Is it because he's never had any competition he's not felt the need to try? Do we not have a decent goalkeeping coach or is Caspar of such a personality that he doesn't feel he needs to listen? Who knows. 

Personally,  I don't feel that Ward is capable of being a kick in the arse for him. I note that Dean Henderson is only on loan to Sheffield United and, should he become available perhaps they would be favourites to sign him if he's happy there but I think he'd be worth investing a lot of money in. To me he's already ahead of Casper at only a young age and would pick him ahead of him. Caspar would be forced to make more effort to improve or move on. If he was that loyal to us, he'd have made more effort to have improved upon those poor traits within his game that have been his Achilles heal as far back as his Man City days which is why he always played second fiddle to Joe Hart.

The real mystery to me is why after all this time, people still don't know his name... :D

No issue with him continue in goal, just wish he’d simplify his distribution at times as when overcomicates it it goes wrong! 

Yes i I got the crosses argument but the players no themselves he isn’t going to come for them so should protect him at all cost! The first goal Saturday was to easy for Rudiger to get a header in! 

Final point hes going to need replacing at some point, if we see Danny ward as long term replacement he needs a run of games in the prem whilst kasper is here as if he’s not up to it kasper is back in and we look for new number one! This could be 2/3 years down the line too

On 02/02/2020 at 16:42, coolhandfox said:

His just describing the game, he doesn't mention anything about poor judgement 

What that got to do with the two goals...........

So unless its a bullet header, every goalkeeper is out of position then?

Don't attempt to misquote or misrepresent. But a sense of position does help