Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
broughtonblue

Unbelievable

I don't get how anyone could think it's a good idea. Gotta be massively off your head to even consider it, let alone go ahead and actually do it.

It's so cold and disrespectful to do it.

Really hope those making and taking part in the video are caught and punished accordingly. 

It seems pretty sick, from what I've seen. Unless it's a clever satire on society's flippancy towards the concerns of people like the Grenfell victims, Brass Eye style, I'm not sure you can get away with that. And I'm not sure it was that well thought through.

On the other hand, Peter Sellers once said some things in life are so terrible the only meaningful response is to make fun of them - I suppose they could argue that. The problem for me wasn't that they were making fun of what happened, it's that they don't seem to be sympathetic to the victims in doing so.

But maybe I'm wrong. Maybe they had mates who died there and this is how they choose to deal with it, who knows. I didn't get that feeling though.

7 hours ago, Tuna said:

They'll have plenty of time to reflect on how silly they are when they are doing their community service orders.

It's clearly horrible and they are mentally unstable to laugh at something like that, but how have they broken the law?

1 hour ago, MattP said:

It's clearly horrible and they are mentally unstable to laugh at something like that, but how have they broken the law?

7 minutes ago, Facecloth said:

My thoughts exactly. They're *****, but what law has been broken. People are allowed to be *****. You can joke about anything. You can joke about 9/11, rape, murder, paedophilia, Madeline McCann, or Grenfell Tower. You can even joke about Vichai's helicopter crash. People don't have to like it and can make that clear to you, but I'm not sure you'll have broken a law.

They have been arrested under section 4a of the Public Order Act 1986, which covers intentional "harassment, alarm or distress" caused via the use of "threatening, abusive or insulting" words or signs.

• Like 2

Sickening as it is, I too don't see it as a crime. In fact, more broadly, I think we see some matters being called a crime and involving the police when really, in my opinion, they oughtn't be.

People are cruel, they can be dickheads. I think the answer is in the direction @stripeyfox indicates above and not via legal redress. Let the police deal with 'real' crooks! 

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, Bellend Sebastian said:

If their names become public then the grief they'll get will probably be worse for them than any punishment the courts will dish out, but at the same time I'd give people community service for not covering their mouth when coughing on a bus

or eating crisps on trains.

1 minute ago, lifted*fox said:

correct me if I'm wrong, which I may well be - but there still haven't been any arrests in connection with the fire itself; in terms of those responsible for the cost/corner-cutting that lead to the purposeful installation of insulation that isn't up to fire safety standards?

a little bit ironic that we're arresting people for what is a bit of a sick joke but we don't seem to be interested in arresting those responsible for the deaths of many people in the fire.

I don't think arresting people that sign things off at kennsington and chelsea  council is allowed.

41 minutes ago, lifted*fox said:

correct me if I'm wrong, which I may well be - but there still haven't been any arrests in connection with the fire itself; in terms of those responsible for the cost/corner-cutting that lead to the purposeful installation of insulation that isn't up to fire safety standards?

a little bit ironic that we're arresting people for what is a bit of a sick joke but we don't seem to be interested in arresting those responsible for the deaths of many people in the fire.

Society is very selective about what it gets upset about, I agree.

I think folk gravitate to stuff like this - small scale twattery where the wrongness is obvious - just because it's easy.

With an issue like Grenfell there are enough parts to it, many in isolation that would make your blood boil (well mine, anyway) that it takes more time and effort to digest than people are prepared to give

Bad taste certainly, but to be honest I often hear just as bad in normal everyday conversations. As to being a crime, I guess it's a bit like the woman in her seventies who honked her horn at a slow motorist (who took offence and happened to be black) and ended up getting arrested and cautioned for a 'hate crime'.

So nobody arrested for the fire itself and five people arrested for joking about it?

Am I in some parallel universe??

Edit - just realised lifted fox made a similar point. Also, joke is still sick and not condoning it.

Edited by Nalis