Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Ecdysiast

Claudio to Fulham

1 hour ago, leicesterlad1989 said:

Don't quite know how I feel about this. A bit like when you break up with an ex - you know things weren't ever going to work out and you know you will both move on but it's not always easy when flaunted in your face. That's how I feel about Claudio managing *Ranieri.

*Fulham

This!... :(

Claudio Ranieri's Fulham are 5,000/1 to win the Premier League - where have we heard that one before?

According to Oddschecker, 86 per cent of all bets this morning on the Premier League winner have been placed on the Cottagers after Ranieri's arrival at Craven Cottage this morning.

The Italian returns to English football for the first time since his departure from Leicester City last year - and three years on from when City's memorable title-winning campaign was just clicking into gear.

• Haha 3

I really hope he does well but I am really not sure. I originally thought when he left us he would never be able to manage in the Premier league again. he needs to get off to a good start or the problems will just keep building for him! I hope he manages to do well and keep them up

1 hour ago, MC Prussian said:

Not a lot of other options around, not too many "big" clubs are struggling at the moment, be it in the Premier League or in Europe in general (apart from Monaco or Schalke/Leverkusen maybe), so mid- to lower-table PL is the best he can hope for, besides potentially moving to the CSL.

Umm, Real Madrid just employed an inexperienced manager after a historically poor start. Bayern stuttered heavily, Monaco, as you say, have been terrible and he had a very successful spell there too. Instead they go for the sexy name rather than experience. You could even say Udinese and Genoa in Italy look like candidates.

32 minutes ago, ScouseFox said:

maybe most sensible clubs look at the year after we won the league as well and see how bad we were and think yeah we ain’t gonna win the league if we employ him. 

dont think he will even come close to keeping them up if the last 9 months as our manager are anything to go by. he had a good go at taking our title winning squad down, let alone a team that are already rock bottom a third of the way into the season. 

It's interesting that those 9 months would be blamed on him and not the post-miracle hangover. He did still manage a very impressive European campaign.
I too would be wary of hiring Claudio, but the way clubs hire willy-nilly and take huge risks, it's odd that he gets overlooked despite his solid achievements.

Edited by shen

5 minutes ago, shen said:

Umm, Real Madrid just employed an inexperienced manager after a historically poor start. Bayern stuttered heavily, Monaco, as you say, have been terrible and he had a very successful spell there too. Instead they go for the sexy name rather than experience. You could even say Udinese and Genoa in Italy look like candidates.

It's interesting that those 9 months would be blamed on him and not the post-miracle hangover. He did still manage a very impressive European campaign.
I too would be wary of hiring Claudio, but the way clubs hire willy-nilly and take huge risks, it's odd that he gets overlooked despite his solid achievements.

Bar Sevilla home and Brugge away we were turgid in the champions league anyway & the fact we couldn’t pass the ball was down to Claudio not a post league win hangover 

• Like 1

Good luck to him, one of the best managers we ever had. Up there with O'Neil in terms of charisma too, and of course what an absolute gentleman he was too.

It was the right decision to get rid of him, but it always made me sad. The title win took everything out of us and covorting around the world with our title was terrible prepreration. The Kante loss was too much and Mendy got injured straight away. Mendy might not be in Kante's league but he's turned out pretty decent after all. We literally followed up our title win by playing Andy King and Daniel Amartey in central midfield just a few months later... that was never going to end well.

Will be interesting to see how he does at Fulham, but Ranieri can sort out a defence, as he proved during his time here. If he fixes that, Fulham actually have enough decent forward players to stay up IMO. And the change is early enough to give him time to do it.

Good luck to him, but not against us!

• Like 2

Dislike all London clubs. The media have a love in with London clubs and their bias towards them is almost embarrassing. Love to see Wet Spam, Palace and Fulham go down (would REALLY love Spuds down).

Ranieri has a much tougher job there than here. Here he took over mainly a squad who had been together as a team for several years. There he is taking over a put together squad who are not yet a team. Keeping them up would be an achievement. 

Don't wish any ill on Claudio, but I really couldn't care less about Fulham, and really hope we thump them when we play them.

The amount of times he's had an immediate impact at a club is ridiculous, there's every chance he'll get Fulham up the table. Short term they'll be in very good shape, they have some good players but they need his gentle tweaking of things. Whether he'll follow his trait of being way less effective next season or beyond is a contentious debate but that really won't concern Fulham. 

There's every chance they'll stay up this season. 

46 minutes ago, ScouseFox said:

maybe most sensible clubs look at the year after we won the league as well and see how bad we were and think yeah we ain’t gonna win the league if we employ him. 

dont think he will even come close to keeping them up if the last 9 months as our manager are anything to go by. he had a good go at taking our title winning squad down, let alone a team that are already rock bottom a third of the way into the season. 

disagree - his career shows hes consistently good at coming in and quickly turning things around at a club, especially ones that arent getting the basics right  - see roma, parma, juve, monaco

its 2nd and 3rd seasons which tend to be quite erratic