Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Bedford Fox

Brendan Rodgers..yay or nay?

Brendan Rodgers  

734 members have voted

1. 1. Would you be happy if Rodgers took charge?

• Yes
    • No way

1 hour ago, Leicester_Loyal said:

Yep.

But without him for 9 games I think they did alright without him, but obviously might have done better with him.

I'm not saying Rodgers is a great manager, he was awul at Reading, but he did wonders at Swansea, almost won the EPL with Liverpool and has won everything possible at Celtic. You don't go 63 games unbeaten if your manager doesn't have a clue what he's doing.

Spot on

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Celtic_daft1888 said:

I don’t want him to leave but I think it’s going to hapoen. Board doesn’t seem to be backing him with the players he wants and the whole McGinn deal caused a lot of  unrest between him and the board in the summer. Even the deals we have done so far in this window, mostly 6 month loan deals which doesn’t really bode well for us, unfortunately. 

Also, just to confirm. Rangers were in the league when Rodgers came. People just need to go and do a bit of research before they spout nonsense. 

What's your opinion on him compared to say O'Neill or other extremely successful managers?

45 minutes ago, Celtic_daft1888 said:

It’s really difficult to compare because we have  2 completely different eras in reality. Football, across the whole of Europe was more competitive with the smaller leagues than it is now. We could sign premiership players and pay big wages and transfer fees. That’s totally different now. If you’re asking me would I have Rodgers era or O’Neils era, I’d pick Rodgers. He’s a much better man manager. 

Rodgers doesn’t have a great eye for signings. He doesn’t look at himself that way. He always has a senior figure above him to identify talent. So in terms of recruitment, it’s definitely not been the best. However, the way he can change players games, make them so much better. Looking at the players he has completely changed. Tierney, McGregor, Armstrong before he went to Southampton, Dembele, Edouard, Sinclair came up and started like a house on fire, Forrest. Even brown. Brown on the way out now I think but getting the player of the year last season after people said he was finished before Rodgers took over. 

Leicester have an abundance of young talent coming through and some seriously excellent youth signings. He will work wonders with them youngsters. 

I hope he doesn’t leave but I think someone like Leicester would appeal to him. 

This is why he would be the ideal manager we would go for if we are to bin Puel. He's a man manager and excels with young players, I think he'd do well here.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Would have Rodgers in a heartbeat, what he achieved at Swansea and Liverpool was great - don't understand why Klopp gets a constant rim-job off the media despite not having won anything yet with all the resources, when Rodgers had Liverpool a whisker away from winning the Premier League in a pretty short space of time.

Seems to have a real knack for getting the best out of his players which is exactly what we need. We all know the squad we have is generally capable of more than they are providing, hence the wins against Chelsea, Man City and Everton over Christmas. Would also imagine getting him in would give assurance to any players who may be currently wanting to leave

• Like 2

9 hours ago, foxinsocks said:

Its all relative. In fairness he can only win the games Celtic have.  However it has not been a very competative league has it.

I am sorry to have dampened the enthusiasm for rogers. ... but there's always a range of opinions... 

Fair point. Attractive job but a poisened chalice.

Lose - fans are on your back

Win - You manage a pub team

One feather in Rodgers cap may be his ability to get players up for those 'nothing games' considering he has to do this most weeks at Celtic

He'd be a Prem winning manager if not for Stevie G's Bambi on ice impression

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Anglodanglo said:

Fair point. Attractive job but a poisened chalice.

Lose - fans are on your back

Win - You manage a pub team

One feather in Rodgers cap may be his ability to get players up for those 'nothing games' considering he has to do this most weeks at Celtic

He'd be a Prem winning manager if not for Stevie G's Bambi on ice impression

Tbf, the premier league is full of dross anyway. A half decent side should be winning most of their games :ph34r:

9 minutes ago, The People's Hero said:

I've seen enough from Puel and I'm not enjoying it and I'm not sure anyone else is. There is a widely believed misconception on here which is that to build a team and embark on a long term project, you have to accept dire, gutless performances; that is to say you have to accept they are just part of it. I don't believe that is true.

Yes we are on a long term project and in transition. We are paying out for training ground build and for potential ground redevelopment soon. We need to reshape the squad and marquee signings and big money moves are likely to be few and far between. We have some good young players and they must be nurtured and continue to play a major part.

If necessary, we can have someone like Puel behind the scenes to guide overall budgeting/strategy/player recruitment profile (ie, cheap, young and hungry), but this all MUST be in place with our current structure. I see no reason why our long term aspirations are not compatible with some endeavour, some flair and some attacking football. Some excitement. Football is a spectator sport and the club is for the fans. What is the point when its complete dirge. I don't care if we finish 7th or 8th. I strongly suspect we will finiish a fair bit lower under Puel, but I do care about the product which is served up. Even the Sven years were good fun and there was some scintillating football, we never quite got there (and I wouldn't swap for mid table Championship now) but the point remains that I think we all looked forward to the games then. If none of us are enjoying the football and there is no prospect of it improving, then what's the point.

Puel's lack of ambition and chastising of the fans for showing some has also ticked me off.

I like his overall intentions including nurturing of young players - but the system and football does not need to be so dull (and obviously recently ineffective).

Bin / Move Upstairs.

Speak for yourself.  I'm enjoying whats happening plenty.  Not all the time, but generally pleased

Flair football requires flair players.  Mahrez had flair.  No Mahrez = less flair.

I dont think there is any evidence for saying he lacks ambition.  Even in the cup games, look at how much he celebrated Albrighton's goal against Man City.  He will not have wanted to lose those games. 

And as for ticking off the fans, I thought maybe he was initially too but on a second reading of that article it seems he was talking about journalists and media.  In his latest interview he has stated the opposite to amend this misconception

Recently ineffective?  You mean against Cardiff?  Wasnt ineffective against what, 3 of the last 6 games, something like that?

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, The People's Hero said:

I've seen enough from Puel and I'm not enjoying it and I'm not sure anyone else is. There is a widely believed misconception on here which is that to build a team and embark on a long term project, you have to accept dire, gutless performances; that is to say you have to accept they are just part of it. I don't believe that is true.

Yes we are on a long term project and in transition. We are paying out for training ground build and for potential ground redevelopment soon. We need to reshape the squad and marquee signings and big money moves are likely to be few and far between. We have some good young players and they must be nurtured and continue to play a major part.

If necessary, we can have someone like Puel behind the scenes to guide overall budgeting/strategy/player recruitment profile (ie, cheap, young and hungry), but this all MUST be in place with our current structure. I see no reason why our long term aspirations are not compatible with some endeavour, some flair and some attacking football. Some excitement. Football is a spectator sport and the club is for the fans. What is the point when its complete dirge. I don't care if we finish 7th or 8th. I strongly suspect we will finiish a fair bit lower under Puel, but I do care about the product which is served up. Even the Sven years were good fun and there was some scintillating football, we never quite got there (and I wouldn't swap for mid table Championship now) but the point remains that I think we all looked forward to the games then. If none of us are enjoying the football and there is no prospect of it improving, then what's the point.

Puel's lack of ambition and chastising of the fans for showing some has also ticked me off.

I like his overall intentions including nurturing of young players - but the system and football does not need to be so dull (and obviously recently ineffective).

Bin / Move Upstairs.

Spot on mate

The stubbornness of the man is galling. He is trying to play possession football with a group of players that aren't suited to it, in fact he had better equipped players to do that when he first got here and he's systematically frozen out Iborra and Silva. Ndidi is one of the worst passers I've seen grace our shirt and Mendy is merely a water carrier. It is no surprise we cannot unlock tight defences, we are absolutely clueless and laborious. Our attacking players have ability but they often receive the ball when the opposition have managed to get their lines of defence fixed and then it's just painful to watch. It's like groundhog day. He can chunter on all he likes about how difficult it is to get players in January but he's at severe risk of being binned now. A box to box midfielder who would get the ball up pitch quickly could make a significant difference and give him a shot at staying here long term. There's still many more improvements required such as an upgrade at right wing and another forward but right now even with our best XI out there we are the pits at breaking teams down and he's got no excuses. He has caused this.

• Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, AlloverthefloorYesNdidi said:

I dont think there is any evidence for saying he lacks ambition.  

Apart from his recent statement which chastised the fans for lofty ambitions, a bit like NP's 'delusions of grandeur' prior to his own capitulation.

Obviously the above is obvious to those of us able to read between the lines and find a very very thinly veiled message.

You crack on though! All is rosy! 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, The People's Hero said:

Apart from his recent statement which chastised the fans for lofty ambitions, a bit like NP's 'delusions of grandeur' prior to his own capitulation.

Obviously the above is obvious to those of us able to read between the lines and find a very very thinly veiled message.

You crack on though! All is rosy! 

Define lack of ambition for LCFC as evinced by Puel supposedly

And please show me evidence for this? 

Is 'reading between the lines' code for talking speculative bollocks?

Edited by AlloverthefloorYesNdidi
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, Ric Flair said:

Spot on mate

The stubbornness of the man is galling. He is trying to play possession football with a group of players that aren't suited to it, in fact he had better equipped players to do that when he first got here and he's systematically frozen out Iborra and Silva. Ndidi is one of the worst passers I've seen grace our shirt and Mendy is merely a water carrier. It is no surprise we cannot unlock tight defences, we are absolutely clueless and laborious. Our attacking players have ability but they often receive the ball when the opposition have managed to get their lines of defence fixed and then it's just painful to watch. It's like groundhog day. He can chunter on all he likes about how difficult it is to get players in January but he's at severe risk of being binned now. A box to box midfielder who would get the ball up pitch quickly could make a significant difference and give him a shot at staying here long term. There's still many more improvements required such as an upgrade at right wing and another forward but right now even with our best XI out there we are the pits at breaking teams down and he's got no excuses. He has caused this.

A new striker and winger won't even solve it, since we take 30 passes to get a poor ball to them with usually 2 banks of 4 (or whatever formation) in front of them. 

Mendy and Ndidi have their uses; and to be honest, playing those two and Hamza against Man City and Chelsea was a masterstroke. Trying to repeat the exact same trick against teams who sit back against us and therefore relying on those three to break teams down, is nonsensical. As you say, our players more comfortable carrying the ball or picking a pass (Silva and Iborra) have been binned off. Our options players have even been binned off (Slimani). It just makes us so predictable. If Maddison plays, when he ever DOES get the ball early enough, teams just chop him down. Its ridiculously predictable.

Anyone who doesn't see it really isn't worth talking to.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, AlloverthefloorYesNdidi said:

Define lack of ambition for LCFC as evinced by Puel supposedly

And please show me evidence for this? 

Is 'reading between the lines' code for talking speculative bollocks?

I'm not going to spoon feed you. 

If you want the source, go and look for it.

None so blind and those who don't want to see.

Exhibit A for my previous post.

28 minutes ago, AlloverthefloorYesNdidi said:

Speak for yourself.  I'm enjoying whats happening plenty.  Not all the time, but generally pleased

Flair football requires flair players.  Mahrez had flair.  No Mahrez = less flair.

I dont think there is any evidence for saying he lacks ambition.  Even in the cup games, look at how much he celebrated Albrighton's goal against Man City.  He will not have wanted to lose those games. 

And as for ticking off the fans, I thought maybe he was initially too but on a second reading of that article it seems he was talking about journalists and media.  In his latest interview he has stated the opposite to amend this misconception

Recently ineffective?  You mean against Cardiff?  Wasnt ineffective against what, 3 of the last 6 games, something like that?

Starting to think you're Claude lol

Seriously though I'm not seeing his intensity, I've seen more intensity in a slice of toast then the football he serves up.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

11 minutes ago, The People's Hero said:

I'm not going to spoon feed you. 

If you want the source, go and look for it.

None so blind and those who don't want to see.

Exhibit A for my previous post.

Ah ok, so no evidence then.  ( I assume you're referring to him saying those who think Leicester should be 6th are wrong.  Thats not lack of ambtion. Its just right.  He's not saying we wont aim as high as we can.  But we are not in a position where we should be 6th) 

I will grant the Puel Outers at least these 2 major issues we face.

1.  Starting Slow against poor teams, maybe even starting slow in general

2.  A poor ability to break teams down and find solutions against a packed defence

Can maybe include in one or both of those things a central midfield that lacks dynamism/passing ability

For me on footballing terms it may or may not be fair to blame this entirely on Puel, but criticism of him is absolutely fine on these counts

Saying that he's got no ambition is just a bit of an odd accusation to level at him.  I dont think you can get where he is in the game without having ambition

And he goes out to beat the top teams and has proven he can do it, must he not have a shred of ambition to do that?

Interesting stat from the beeb, considering we all of us, I include myself, complain about how much we are let down by our attack....

Claude Puel's side have scored in 18 of their league games, the most outside of the current top six

clubs.

Actually, less impressive when looked at with the other stats quoted lol ....

Claude Puel's side have scored in 18 of their league games, the most outside of the current top six clubs.

They have conceded the opening goal on 14 occasions, which is second only to Cardiff's tally of 15.

Leicester's last six away games have produced just eight goals in total, with no side scoring more than once.

Games involving Leicester have produced a league-high nine red cards, four to the Foxes and five to opposition players.

8 minutes ago, AlloverthefloorYesNdidi said:

Ah ok, so no evidence then.  ( I assume you're referring to him saying those who think Leicester should be 6th are wrong.  Thats not lack of ambtion. Its just right.  He's not saying we wont aim as high as we can.  But we are not in a position where we should be 6th) 

I will grant the Puel Outers at least these 2 major issues we face.

1.  Starting Slow against poor teams, maybe even starting slow in general

2.  A poor ability to break teams down and find solutions against a packed defence

Can maybe include in one or both of those things a central midfield that lacks dynamism/passing ability

For me on footballing terms it may or may not be fair to blame this entirely on Puel, but criticism of him is absolutely fine on these counts

Saying that he's got no ambition is just a bit of an odd accusation to level at him.  I dont think you can get where he is in the game without having ambition

And he goes out to beat the top teams and has proven he can do it, must he not have a shred of ambition to do that?

Genuine question and in no ways meaning to be disrespectful..... do you watch us play much?

I've been a season ticket holder for many years, this is the worst football I've seen us produce for a very long time. There's no dynamism, no conviction, no excitement... just blunt, boring and ineffective football. The times we've played the best and won were when he adopted the counter attacking football method (which he's trying to stop us playing). I see a bleak future for Leicester if they were to remain with Claude, I'm now of the opinion that if there is to be a managerial change at the end of the season then what possible reason is there to keep him? We're relatively safe with nothing to play for other than league positions.

• Like 1