Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Bedford Fox

Brendan Rodgers..yay or nay?

Brendan Rodgers  

734 members have voted

1. 1. Would you be happy if Rodgers took charge?

• Yes
    • No way

9 hours ago, AjcW said:

There’s no chance Brendan leaves Celtic mid season 

Sorry..why not? Hes not on to a winner this season as Rangers and maybe Kilmarnock could burst his Premiership winning streak.

Why wouldnt he quit while he's ahead with a clean streak of premiership titles under his belt.

It wouldn't be a popular move with Celtic fans but when has that ever been taken in consideration. (apart from when we had our MARTIN DON'T GO campaign in the 90's) ?

Edited by ultrafox
  • Haha 1

17 hours ago, The Doctor said:

Which is exactly what was said when Nigel Pearson said it 7 years ago this week:

In fact, any post now or then with the manager name removed would be indistinguishable. Plus ça change...

To be fair...

7 years later we are League 1 Champions, Championship Champions and Premier League champions, Champions League 1/4 finalists and a strong mid to high table premier league team.

• Like 3

13 hours ago, Col city fan said:

Liverpool really should have won the league under Rogers and Celtic have dominated all the time he’s been up in Scotland. 

What are you talking about?

Yes they should of but didn't and when his golden boy Suarez went it went to rats. Shouldn't really fail to dominate in Scotland with his set up should he really but he's made poor signings like at Liverpool and it's now starting to tell.  The so called lesser lights with vastly inferior funding are catching him up. He's being found out. 

1 hour ago, ozleicester said:

To be fair...

7 years later we are League 1 Champions, Championship Champions and Premier League champions, Champions League 1/4 finalists and a strong mid to high table premier league team.

We won League One three years before he said that...

1 hour ago, ozleicester said:

To be fair...

We won league one 2 1/2 years earlier but the following success doesn't mean he was wrong - that was said after a 2-1 defeat to Barnsley at home - starting lineup that day: Schmeichel, Peltier, Mills, Tunchev, Konchesky, King, Wellens, Danns, Dyer, Gallagher, Nugent (Beckford came on off the bench). Less than half of those were then involved in the promotion in 13/14, let alone the 15/16 season - in fact with Drinkwater on loan at Barnsley then, our opponents had as many of our 15/16 title winning first XI as we did. He was right, our fans had delusions of grandeur and thought we should walk the league because Sven wasted a load of money. He needed time to fix that.

7 hours ago, HoustonFox said:

Swansea

Fair he did improve them, but that's really the only job I'd consider to be a success worth considering (Celtic in a league with no rangers, it should be nigh on impossible to not win the league) 

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, The Doctor said:

We won league one 2 1/2 years earlier but the following success doesn't mean he was wrong - that was said after a 2-1 defeat to Barnsley at home - starting lineup that day: Schmeichel, Peltier, Mills, Tunchev, Konchesky, King, Wellens, Danns, Dyer, Gallagher, Nugent (Beckford came on off the bench). Less than half of those were then involved in the promotion in 13/14, let alone the 15/16 season - in fact with Drinkwater on loan at Barnsley then, our opponents had as many of our 15/16 title winning first XI as we did. He was right, our fans had delusions of grandeur and thought we should walk the league because Sven wasted a load of money. He needed time to fix that.

Fair he did improve them, but that's really the only job I'd consider to be a success worth considering (Celtic in a league with no rangers, it should be nigh on impossible to not win the league) 

We had every right to expect more from our team... he and they were playing crap and this was another of his usual media rants when the pressure got to him.

I still remember going to Swansea (in the Championship) we were completely dominated and passed off the park. We couldn’t get the ball off them. He’ll get us playing good football, but at a faster tempo. 

Edited by RoyFox
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, shade said:

pl

Sorry misread that. He didnt fail at Swansea and his stint at Liverpool could be argued both ways. He took them as close to winning the title as anyone previously had in 25 years. 

The issue we have with managers that are established and experienced is, there is going to be some sort of blemish against them to even consider coming here. Unless we go for a complete unknown or a untested progressive manager like Marco Rose, then theres going to be fans say they're shit. Management is the most precarious job in football, theres so many facets that have to be on your side to succeed and this isn't an excuse as this is the case for Puel as well who is getting dogs abuse when all of it isn't his fault.

Rodgers ticks a lot of boxes with how we want to run the club long term. Some may argue he's achieved less than Puel due to the poor quality of Scotland and not winning a trophy in the PL but I'd take him over a lot of similar banded managers like Wagner, Howe, Dyche etc.

Dont forget our board arent the most flamboyant at their scouting of new managers, all these exotic managers doing bits in inferior leagues in Europe, China and South America are highly unlikely to be considered by our board. 

Rodgers would be my choice right now if he would come, I think he'd get us 7th straight off the bat.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, foxinsocks said:

Failed in the pl. .. liverpool only moved fwd after he left.  I agree he has won all he could in spl..but i discount it 

Opinions, I personally think what he did at Liverpool was a decent job after the shit that they'd had between Benitez leaving and him arriving.

6 minutes ago, Ric Flair said:

Sorry misread that. He didnt fail at Swansea and his stint at Liverpool could be argued both ways. He took them as close to winning the title as anyone previously had in 25 years. 

The issue we have with managers that are established and experienced is, there is going to be some sort of blemish against them to even consider coming here. Unless we go for a complete unknown or a untested progressive manager like Marco Rose, then theres going to be fans say they're shit. Management is the most precarious job in football, theres so many facets that have to be on your side to succeed and this isn't an excuse as this is the case for Puel as well who is getting dogs abuse when all of it isn't his fault.

Rodgers ticks a lot of boxes with how we want to run the club long term. Some may argue he's achieved less than Puel due to the poor quality of Scotland and not winning a trophy in the PL but I'd take him over a lot of similar banded managers like Wagner, Howe, Dyche etc.

Dont forget our board arent the most flamboyant at their scouting of new managers, all these exotic managers doing bits in inferior leagues in Europe, China and South America are highly unlikely to be considered by our board. 

Rodgers would be my choice right now if he would come, I think he'd get us 7th straight off the bat.

So more or less the same as we are now?

• Like 4