Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Bedford Fox

Brendan Rodgers..yay or nay?

Brendan Rodgers  

734 members have voted

1. 1. Would you be happy if Rodgers took charge?

• Yes
    • No way

10 minutes ago, Rusko187 said:

Genuine question and in no ways meaning to be disrespectful..... do you watch us play much?

I've been a season ticket holder for many years, this is the worst football I've seen us produce for a very long time. There's no dynamism, no conviction, no excitement... just blunt, boring and ineffective football. The times we've played the best and won were when he adopted the counter attacking football method (which he's trying to stop us playing). I see a bleak future for Leicester if they were to remain with Claude, I'm now of the opinion that if there is to be a managerial change at the end of the season then what possible reason is there to keep him? We're relatively safe with nothing to play for other than league positions.

I watch every game.  Have only watched us at the ground 3 times this year though. (Burnley, Man City, Cardiff) And I do admit its more frustrating watching us play poorly at the ground than at home on a laptop

What can I say?  All the arguments have been had pretty much.  I live in hope from match to match and whilst we are still doing well in the league I see no reason to panic and all reason to hope for a brighter future whether it be tomorrow, next month or after the summer transfer window

The most concise reason to keep him that I could state is look where we were before him.  I would say the football was equally dross since the title win outside of the Shakespeare manager bounce (which included a desperate fleeing from relegation zone and a Champions League QF which must have been a boost for the players), and outside of that brief period we were always going to the wrong end of the table and never looked like we would win games.  We were terrible

Now we may be a bit boring, but we are safe.  One can only hope boring becomes less boring as we improve the squad and safe starts to become closer to success

I'll say again for the millionth time, if Puel doesnt improve us after the next summer window I will happily see him gone

If things nose dive for the rest of the season I will not complain about letting him go

But i dont want to diminish what he's done for us thats positive  -  overseen the loss of Mahrez and had us consistently in the top half of the PL

Edited by AlloverthefloorYesNdidi
  • Like 3

10 minutes ago, AlloverthefloorYesNdidi said:

Ah ok, so no evidence then.  ( I assume you're referring to him saying those who think Leicester should be 6th are wrong.  Thats not lack of ambtion. Its just right.  He's not saying we wont aim as high as we can.  But we are not in a position where we should be 6th) 

I will grant the Puel Outers at least these 2 major issues we face.

1.  Starting Slow against poor teams, maybe even starting slow in general

2.  A poor ability to break teams down and find solutions against a packed defence

Can maybe include in one or both of those things a central midfield that lacks dynamism/passing ability

For me on footballing terms it may or may not be fair to blame this entirely on Puel, but criticism of him is absolutely fine on these counts

Saying that he's got no ambition is just a bit of an odd accusation to level at him.  I dont think you can get where he is in the game without having ambition

And he goes out to beat the top teams and has proven he can do it, must he not have a shred of ambition to do that?

There is very little argument to be had over the style of football though. I get we can't play counter attacking football against teams who refuse to fall in to the trap, Puel in his first 3-4 months blended it nicely with an art of retaining possession and controlling games when needed. However, he has since taken away any forward passing ability from our two central midfielders and since losing Mahrez we have lost the last piece of unpredictability. He hasn't bought a single central midfielder or a striker, he's bought a below par Mahrez replacement (I accept Mahrez was never going to be replaced like for like but that's not an excuse for Ghezzal) and Maddison. We needed Maddison when Mahrez was here and he is being held back by the lack of movement around him, Maddison gets the ball too late in cramped areas and is still learning how to impact on a game that isn't playing to his strengths. Puel is more than happy to get rid of Iborra and Silva without having any replacements lined up and yet he can't understand why we are repeatedly struggling to break teams down? It's an insult to our intelligence or he is a moron. It's quite clear you need a forward passer to break the lines and a collective movement from the attacking players when the play is being squeezed by deep lying banks of defence and midfield. If he refuses to strengthen our midfield and attack then he's done for, he's even said money is available. There's no excuses for this, he's had well over a year and he's taken our midfield backwards which is just how he seems to like them to play.

2 minutes ago, AlloverthefloorYesNdidi said:

Interesting stat from the beeb, considering we all of us, I include myself, complain about how much we are let down by our attack....

Claude Puel's side have scored in 18 of their league games, the most outside of the current top six

clubs.

Actually, less impressive when looked at with the other stats quoted lol ....

Claude Puel's side have scored in 18 of their league games, the most outside of the current top six clubs.

They have conceded the opening goal on 14 occasions, which is second only to Cardiff's tally of 15.

Leicester's last six away games have produced just eight goals in total, with no side scoring more than once.

Games involving Leicester have produced a league-high nine red cards, four to the Foxes and five to opposition players.

If we score first we tend to win, which is easy to see why given the nature of our play. Hats off for him in improving our defence but it has come at a cost, we've only scored more than twice once all season. That's poor, really poor.

8 minutes ago, Rusko187 said:

Genuine question and in no ways meaning to be disrespectful..... do you watch us play much?

I've been a season ticket holder for many years, this is the worst football I've seen us produce for a very long time. There's no dynamism, no conviction, no excitement... just blunt, boring and ineffective football. The times we've played the best and won were when he adopted the counter attacking football method (which he's trying to stop us playing). I see a bleak future for Leicester if they were to remain with Claude, I'm now of the opinion that if there is to be a managerial change at the end of the season then what possible reason is there to keep him? We're relatively safe with nothing to play for other than league positions.

Absolutely this.

100% of fans on here want Leicester to do well.

60% think the football would be better with a change of manager.

10% undecided

30% think a change would be unwise - but some of this group shout so loud, so aggresively and SO OFTEN - anyone would think we had Gods-Gift managing our club - and the appalling football (and results like Cardiff Newport and Southampton) are just an unfortunate side effect of a wonderful, utopian footbali dream.

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, Ric Flair said:

There is very little argument to be had over the style of football though. I get we can't play counter attacking football against teams who refuse to fall in to the trap, Puel in his first 3-4 months blended it nicely with an art of retaining possession and controlling games when needed. However, he has since taken away any forward passing ability from our two central midfielders and since losing Mahrez we have lost the last piece of unpredictability. He hasn't bought a single central midfielder or a striker, he's bought a below par Mahrez replacement (I accept Mahrez was never going to be replaced like for like but that's not an excuse for Ghezzal) and Maddison. We needed Maddison when Mahrez was here and he is being held back by the lack of movement around him, Maddison gets the ball too late in cramped areas and is still learning how to impact on a game that isn't playing to his strengths. Puel is more than happy to get rid of Iborra and Silva without having any replacements lined up and yet he can't understand why we are repeatedly struggling to break teams down? It's an insult to our intelligence or he is a moron. It's quite clear you need a forward passer to break the lines and a collective movement from the attacking players when the play is being squeezed by deep lying banks of defence and midfield. If he refuses to strengthen our midfield and attack then he's done for, he's even said money is available. There's no excuses for this, he's had well over a year and he's taken our midfield backwards which is just how he seems to like them to play.

If we score first we tend to win, which is easy to see why given the nature of our play. Hats off for him in improving our defence but it has come at a cost, we've only scored more than twice once all season. That's poor, really poor.

I dont begrudge you any of those points to be fair.

But that Puel hasnt been able to buy a CM doesnt necessarily paint him in a bad light, could even excuse some of our failings, but I dont really want to do that

I can only hope the club is waiting until the summer to buy a boss CM.  We'll only know how the club feels about him if he is still here come August

• Like 1

Genuine question, do you think Puel ever stood a chance when a fair amount of our fan base had already made there minds up about him when he walked through the door?

It was too easy for the people who never really backed him to play the "told you so" card. Whereas, had he got the backing off everyone from the get Go, he would probably be under less pressure now because people are more relevant to admit they where wrong and give him more time.... just a thought. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Wortho said:

I don't think the fans warm to Puel. Whether it is the way he communicates to the media, and or his lack of English.

This together with the slow boring football we play is not helping him.

This is the crux of the matter for me. For a number of reasons I think, a contingent of our fans just don’t like him. If and when this becomes true, those same people will be looking out for him to slip up at every opportunity. Triviality snowballs into seriousness and things can get taken out of context.

Just look on here for examples.

The same happens with players. For some reason the fans just warm to certain players, and it isn’t always about their footballing ability. Our record under Puel isn’t bad. Our league position under Puel isn’t bad. But for some, that doesn’t matter. That becomes secondary to the ‘opinion’ people have developed about him as a person.

Rightly or wrongly I fall into this category. Over time I’ve decided I just don’t like him.

• Like 1

On 16/01/2019 at 09:34, Ric Flair said:

Let's ignore the fact he manages one of the most despicable clubs in the world and suffers from David Brentesque moments.

1) He has a track record at building young and attacking teams

2) He likes to play exciting football

3) Is known to be a great motivator and man manager

4) Used to working under pressure

5) Speaks well in interviews

I think he's the most obvious outstanding candidate there is, that fits in with our long term model. He isn't going to get a job at one of the big 6 clubs and I highly doubt he'd go to Everton and that only leaves the rest of us and we are bang up there. We have one of the youngest squads in the league, we have an ambitious owner who backs managers with whatever they need and we are on the verge of building a new training ground and a stadium expansion. It's going to be the sort of project that would likely interest him. I do wonder whether he'd leave before the end of the season though as I think he'll want to leave there with a final title at the expense of Gerrard and Rangers. So if Puel does get binned before the season is out, it might make this hard to get done unless we go for an interim.

Agree with all this Ric, but please explain why you think Celtic are a dispicable club.

2 hours ago, AlloverthefloorYesNdidi said:

I dont begrudge you any of those points to be fair.

But that Puel hasnt been able to buy a CM doesnt necessarily paint him in a bad light, could even excuse some of our failings, but I dont really want to do that

I can only hope the club is waiting until the summer to buy a boss CM.  We'll only know how the club feels about him if he is still here come August

Maddison is a creative central midfield player who ‘we’ have presumably bought to add the missing creativity.

Alas Claude plays him out of position; wide most of the time, until we go behind them sometimes he moves him inside. 

??‍♂️ He’s really stupid is our manager.

43 minutes ago, NotTheMarketLeader said:

Maddison is a creative central midfield player who ‘we’ have presumably bought to add the missing creativity.

Alas Claude plays him out of position; wide most of the time, until we go behind them sometimes he moves him inside. 

??‍♂️ He’s really stupid is our manager.

Bit of an exaggeration, he has started with a formation playing him out wide about 4 times, most of the time he has been in the middle. He hasn't played well deployed as a wide player but we have won 3 of those games. 

Puel will never be popular while the home form is so bad, that's where the majority spend their money and fans aren't unreasonable in expecting us to be picking up more points than we are. We could win every away game until the end of the season and it won't make a difference if we can't figure out something that works at home. I don't think anyone really has much of a clue at the moment though, there is a lot of criticism but the answers aren't blindingly obvious.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, The People's Hero said:

like NP's 'delusions of grandeur' prior to his own capitulation.

The capitulation that took us to a play off season, a 100+ point title winning season and ultimately lower midtable premier league survival? If only more managers capitulated with us 

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, The Doctor said:

The capitulation that took us to a play off season, a 100+ point title winning season and ultimately lower midtable premier league survival? If only more managers capitulated with us 

The "Delusions Of Grandeur" comment was after the 100+ point season.

13 hours ago, Anglodanglo said:

Fair point. Attractive job but a poisened chalice.

Lose - fans are on your back

Win - You manage a pub team

One feather in Rodgers cap may be his ability to get players up for those 'nothing games' considering he has to do this most weeks at Celtic

He'd be a Prem winning manager if not for Stevie G's Bambi on ice impression

Find that comment harsh. Celtic are far from a pub team. 9th highest attendance in Europe. If that’s a pub team, I’d love to know the definition of many premier league teams.