Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Bedford Fox

Brendan Rodgers..yay or nay?

Brendan Rodgers  

734 members have voted

1. 1. Would you be happy if Rodgers took charge?

• Yes
    • No way

4 minutes ago, Ric Flair said:

Sorry misread that. He didnt fail at Swansea and his stint at Liverpool could be argued both ways. He took them as close to winning the title as anyone previously had in 25 years. 

The issue we have with managers that are established and experienced is, there is going to be some sort of blemish against them to even consider coming here. Unless we go for a complete unknown or a untested progressive manager like Marco Rose, then theres going to be fans say they're shit. Management is the most precarious job in football, theres so many facets that have to be on your side to succeed and this isn't an excuse as this is the case for Puel as well who is getting dogs abuse when all of it isn't his fault.

Rodgers ticks a lot of boxes with how we want to run the club long term. Some may argue he's achieved less than Puel due to the poor quality of Scotland and not winning a trophy in the PL but I'd take him over a lot of similar banded managers like Wagner, Howe, Dyche etc.

Dont forget our board arent the most flamboyant at their scouting of new managers, all these exotic managers doing bits in inferior leagues in Europe, China and South America are highly unlikely to be considered by our board. 

Rodgers would be my choice right now if he would come, I think he'd get us 7th straight off the bat.

That rules him out then:ph34r: but in fairness a lot worse names out there. Won't get that excited if we replace the manager with him but yet again not many on here were that elated to swap NP for Mr Ranieri

8 minutes ago, Matt_Lcfc said:

Mignolet

Agger

jose Enrique 

martin kelly

Sakho 

Joe Allen 

moses 

Kelly played 5 games that season, Enrique 8. None of the others bar Mignolet played over 25 matches.

Suarez carried them that season anyway. As soon as he left, Rodgers was found out, Liverpool finished 6th the next season. 

6 minutes ago, Ric Flair said:

Well we aren't going to catch 6th this season are we? I also have serious doubts that we'll get 7th under Puel as there's a real toxic atmosphere building. Anyway, for me it's about more than just the final league position. I have tried very hard to get on board with Puel, I was one of the few fans on here that wasn't appalled by his appointment but he's just not won me over. I appreciate the difficult job he's tasked with and he will be remembered for bringing through a very youthful side, but there are too many things he brings that spoil the majority of home matchday experiences and that's what it comes down to. I'm 35, I have very little free time these days being a father. I go and watch us and it's soul destroying at times, I lose my temper. It embarrasses me that I can't control my emotions and just have a laugh, enjoy having a few hours off doing something i'm passionate about. But the passion is evaporating but rather than being able to walk away and do something else, any football fan knows that's easier said than done. So we are stuck, watching the equivalent of your nan eating a banana in the bath. It's vulgar and I can't see how fans can stomach it.

Very honest response, fair play..  I'm not far behind you age wise and free time just seems to shrink more and more and stick a kid in the mix and I can imagine how the pleasures of match day would take a much increased significance

I can tell you I agree with you how boring it can be actually being there this season and if I went to every game I might be more of your dispostion.

I still compare pre Puel to the Puel team and we used to be very boring to watch, maybe only less boring because there were more goals to see (mostly from the opposition!)  As i've said before, i'm willing to be patient until next season and hope Puel can improve on certain areas and make home games against bottom half teams more entertaining - if its still the same first half of next season I would have much more sympathy with those wanting Puel out

But as you say the increasing toxic atmosphere, though may be not down to Puel completely, could certainyl help tip him out the door

Edited by AlloverthefloorYesNdidi
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, AlloverthefloorYesNdidi said:

Very honest response, fair play..  I'm not far behind you age wise and free time just seems to shrink more and more and stick a kid in the mix and I can imagine how the pleasures of match day would take a much increased significance

I can tell you I agree with you how boring it can be actually being there this season and if I went to every game I might be more of your dispostion.

I still compare pre Puel to the Puel team and we used to be very boring to watch, maybe only less boring because there were more goals to see (mostly from the opposition!)  As i've said before, i'm willing to be patient until next season and hope Puel can improve on certain areas and make home games against bottom half teams more entertaining - if its still the same first half of next season I would have much more sympathy with those wanting Puel out

But as you say the increasing toxic atmosphere, though may be not down to Puel completely, could certainyl help tip him out the door

Haha the trouble is mate, i'm erratic and a hypocrite. I am fickle, my opinion changes with the wind and it does make me wonder just how a manager could get away without being slated by people like me. But it comes down to whether I can ignore the irritations and still get behind the manager and buy in to what they are doing. Puel only becomes a decent manager for me when we aren't playing, take international breaks for example, come 10 days in to it since we last played and i'm buzzing for the next game full of hope and positivity. But as I said a few weeks ago, something feels absent under Puel. We should be more than content and satisfied with a top half league position, we've got to 3 cup quarter finals under him and 2 of those only lost on penalties. We have a young side and plenty to reasons why it should be an exciting future but then you go and actually be subjected to the football week in, week out and all that fcuker is out the window. We are getting worse as well, I know it's down to the loss of Mahrez but the football we play is so so predictable and boring. There's the odd flash of excitement, usually from a well worked counter attack and usually away from home either watched on a crap stream or at 11.30pm on a Saturday night when we're last on Match of The Day again.

I think this is the consequence of the best part of 25-30 years of huge ups and downs as a fan of this club, we don't do normal.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Let's get him in. He is reasonably well respected and tends to play good football. I think he's learnt a lot in his time in management too having probably got that Liverpool job a bit early.

He's an excellent shout on paper. We all know it doesn't necessarily work like that on the pitch, but I'm with Flair here. The football is hard to stomach regardless of results; and recently the results have been real cause for concern. Are we really moving forwards at present?

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Ric Flair said:

Haha the trouble is mate, i'm erratic and a hypocrite. I am fickle, my opinion changes with the wind and it does make me wonder just how a manager could get away without being slated by people like me. But it comes down to whether I can ignore the irritations and still get behind the manager and buy in to what they are doing. Puel only becomes a decent manager for me when we aren't playing, take international breaks for example, come 10 days in to it since we last played and i'm buzzing for the next game full of hope and positivity. But as I said a few weeks ago, something feels absent under Puel. We should be more than content and satisfied with a top half league position, we've got to 3 cup quarter finals under him and 2 of those only lost on penalties. We have a young side and plenty to reasons why it should be an exciting future but then you go and actually be subjected to the football week in, week out and all that fcuker is out the window. We are getting worse as well, I know it's down to the loss of Mahrez but the football we play is so so predictable and boring. There's the odd flash of excitement, usually from a well worked counter attack and usually away from home either watched on a crap stream or at 11.30pm on a Saturday night when we're last on Match of The Day again.

I think this is the consequence of the best part of 25-30 years of huge ups and downs as a fan of this club, we don't do normal.

I dont really know what to say mate :) 

Like you say on paper things are really ok, its just the feeling about Puel plus the nature of our home performances basically.  for some this is a really huge issue and others, like me, cant really see the cause for such upset.  I think we all feel the same frustration on home days when the same old happens.  Its just that some of us think these performances are partly down to the nature of where the club is at the moment, and others think its because of Puel primarily

I just cant say with conviction that the latter point of view is a balanced and accurate one.  Having said that, it may very well be.

Personally think these players arent as good as some make out and we have dropped a good amount of points from very silly blunders and misses this season.  I do think a boring win would still leave people much happier than a boring loss/draw

• Like 1

Changing to Rodgers (or indeed Dyche who seems to be mentioned on other sites) strikes me as change for the sake of it . Neither seems to Have much of a “vision” . CP seems to at least have a view of where he wants to takes the club based on phasing out the old guard and bringing in youth but seems to be meeting resistance to change and this is is causing the poor performances and results just of late .we may well change manager but I wouldn’t be surprised if Rodgers isn’t the man

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Ric Flair said:

It's exactly the same feeling Southampton fans had. 

On paper, it was a crazy decision to get rid of him. 8th placed finish and Cup final?! Madness, from an outside view.

The doubts that 65% of fans on here have are on par with that craziness IMO, but again on paper and when viewed from afar. 

For me, this only highlights the real issues Puel has and how his brand of football and decision making (or lack of) are again becoming the overriding factor, rightly or wrongly.

There is simply a disconnect and as you say, something absent with Puel in charge. You can argue that he needs more time (and I do!) but I still think that absent/disconnect feeling won't/can't be changed with a Manager like Puel in charge who is painfully dour and stubborn, which is perfectly mirrored by our play on the pitch and certainly not something I can see changing in the near future. 

So, do we accept our 7th-13th place in the table but with it, a condition of slow, negative and sometimes painful to watch ineffective football OR do we aim to bring someone in, with our club on the right track (credit to Puel) and get that likely 7th-13th place finish, but with (hopefully) more entertaining football and a Manager that although will make mistakes (they all do!), can genuinely bring back some excitement to the players and the fans?

Even I don't know what I would answer yet, and that's why waiting until the end of the season would be the best decision IMO, but as the poll suggests 65% want him Out now, and so that decision may be taken earlier than Puel deserves and some of us would ideally want. 

• Like 1

I’ve come into my company’s office in Glasgow this morning and had people asking about this.

I’ve sighed, told them I’m a bit embarrassed by our fan base and opined no, you can keep dirty Brendan at Celtic, thanks.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Ric Flair said:

I have tried very hard to get on board with Puel, I was one of the few fans on here that wasn't appalled by his appointment but he's just not won me over. I appreciate the difficult job he's tasked with and he will be remembered for bringing through a very youthful side, but there are too many things he brings that spoil the majority of home matchday experiences and that's what it comes down to. I'm 35, I have very little free time these days being a father. I go and watch us and it's soul destroying at times, I lose my temper. It embarrasses me that I can't control my emotions and just have a laugh, enjoy having a few hours off doing something i'm passionate about. But the passion is evaporating but rather than being able to walk away and do something else, any football fan knows that's easier said than done. So we are stuck, watching the equivalent of your nan eating a banana in the bath. It's vulgar and I can't see how fans can stomach it.

This is pretty much where I am.

Very little free time being a dad, not a huge amount of disposable income yet I'm constantly spending time and money to watch the guff we're currently seeing. I want football to be an outlet for me, not another source of frustration.

But hey, anyone who dares wish Puel out is obviously a deluded, impatient twat.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, volpeazzurro said:

Yes they should of but didn't and when his golden boy Suarez went it went to rats. Shouldn't really fail to dominate in Scotland with his set up should he really but he's made poor signings like at Liverpool and it's now starting to tell.  The so called lesser lights with vastly inferior funding are catching him up. He's being found out. 

What kind of argument is that? Club sold their best player who coincidentally was bagging goals. The club failed to replace and because the manager had nothing to work with afterwards they failed. 

2 minutes ago, Rusko187 said:

What kind of argument is that? Club sold their best player who coincidentally was bagging goals. The club failed to replace and because the manager had nothing to work with afterwards they failed. 

Sound familiar?

Except we havent failed and are if anything doing as well or better. Just sayin

2 hours ago, Ric Flair said:

Well we aren't going to catch 6th this season are we? I also have serious doubts that we'll get 7th under Puel as there's a real toxic atmosphere building. Anyway, for me it's about more than just the final league position. I have tried very hard to get on board with Puel, I was one of the few fans on here that wasn't appalled by his appointment but he's just not won me over. I appreciate the difficult job he's tasked with and he will be remembered for bringing through a very youthful side, but there are too many things he brings that spoil the majority of home matchday experiences and that's what it comes down to. I'm 35, I have very little free time these days being a father. I go and watch us and it's soul destroying at times, I lose my temper. It embarrasses me that I can't control my emotions and just have a laugh, enjoy having a few hours off doing something i'm passionate about. But the passion is evaporating but rather than being able to walk away and do something else, any football fan knows that's easier said than done. So we are stuck, watching the equivalent of your nan eating a banana in the bath. It's vulgar and I can't see how fans can stomach it.

That is honestly the best (and the worst) way i've seen watching our football described lol

• Haha 1