Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Bedford Fox

Brendan Rodgers..yay or nay?

Brendan Rodgers  

734 members have voted

1. 1. Would you be happy if Rodgers took charge?

• Yes
    • No way

If we can make this happen before Summer, let's pay the compensation to Celtic. Puel is just not the right fit for our club. In three games time, there is a very distinct possibility we will be in the bottom half of the table, without any cups to play for and no likelihood of bringing any new faces in this January because he has no intention of doing so.

I felt for him at the end today but the first half proved the writing is on the wall. The defending was atrocious and if you look at his tenure overall, these problems keep occurring. Palace away, twice and at home, Bournemouth away, Cardiff and Southampton at home. Newport in the cup, too. 

I hate to say it but at the moment I expect a loss before every match because of how we have been playing. I haven't felt like that in years.

1 minute ago, Robin JD Popley said:

If we can make this happen before Summer, let's pay the compensation to Celtic. Puel is just not the right fit for our club. In three games time, there is a very distinct possibility we will be in the bottom half of the table, without any cups to play for and no likelihood of bringing any new faces in this January because he has no intention of doing so.

I felt for him at the end today but the first half proved the writing is on the wall. The defending was atrocious and if you look at his tenure overall, these problems keep occurring. Palace away, twice and at home, Bournemouth away, Cardiff and Southampton at home. Newport in the cup, too. 

I hate to say it but at the moment I expect a loss before every match because of how we have been playing. I haven't felt like that in years.

I'm the same, I don't feel confident of us winning any game we play. What really worries me is the first ten minutes in games. We never look fired up and that is down to the manager.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Ashley said:

Now? Probably not. Summer? After what I've been told today it seems Puel is gone and BR is coming here. Believe it if you wish, or don't belive it. 

He wants to see this season out with Celtic. 

Makes total sense and think it would be the best time for us to change too if Puel has a poor finish to the season. 

I've suggested him for a while now and so would be happy with this if it all comes to fruition like some are now suggesting. 

Can't help feeling it is harsh on Puel how this is all potentially playing out though if the decision has indeed already been made. 

Is he to act as a caretaker manager for 15 games without even knowing it? 

48 minutes ago, Ashley said:

Now? Probably not. Summer? After what I've been told today it seems Puel is gone and BR is coming here. Believe it if you wish, or don't belive it. 

He wants to see this season out with Celtic. 

One question Rudders - oops  I mean Ashley, who told  you this?   I am intrigued.

Brendan Rodgers: the underappreciated manager that can bring excitement back to the King Power
by Karl Harrington 

An analysis of Brendan Rodgers’ career in management and whether or not Leicester should pursue the Northern Irishman
Brendan Rodgers can’t seem to shake the David Brent/Alan Partridge comparisons – and rather unfairly. Regardless of an eccentric, somewhat comical, personality, the Northern Irishman has proven an astute tactician and gets overlooked rather too swiftly whenever a top Premier League job pops up.

Rodgers’ feats in management

During Rodgers’ formative years in management, he regularly spent weekends in Barcelona, analyzing youth and senior team matches. He had a clear vision of how the game should be played and his possession based style was embodied by Swansea City.

After comfortably guiding the Swans to promotion, his side finished in 11th position in the top division – a remarkable achievement for a club with such limited resources – and ended the campaign with league’s third highest possession stats (56%). Naturally, a bigger club swooped in, and Rodgers took the helm at Liverpool.

Off the back of seventh and eighth place finishes, nothing much was expected of The Reds at the beginning of the 2013/14 campaign. But Rodgers, who spent a couple of years working under Jose Mourinho at Chelsea, proved much more than just a tika-tika merchant.

The manager switched to two up front to accommodate both Luis Suarez and Daniel Sturridge and, after picking up on Steven Gerrard’s poor head movement in congested areas, deployed the captain in a deeper Pirlo type role.

Rodgers went against his principles, and sideways passes turned into vertical long balls launched by Gerrard’s right boot. Liverpool’s new counter attacking style was devastatingly effective and an 11 game winning streak took them from fifth all the way to first.

But just as Rodgers was a little too invested in Swansea’s tika-taka manifesto, he got a little carried away with Liverpool’s gung-ho approach. A draw would have sufficed in the infamous encounter with Chelsea; while, shutting up shop when 3-0 up against Crystal Palace could have at least kept title race alive until the final day.

After his time in Merseyside, it seemed a wise decision to move north of the border and get a taste of winning some silverware.

Playing some tantalizing stuff, Celtic won the Scottish Premier League, Cup, and League Cup in both of his first two seasons. Their name is already engraved on the League Cup this campaign, with the other two domestic honors expected to follow.

Should he join Leicester?

Leicester has the bones of a quality side. There are some Rodgers type players in the current crop such as James Maddison and Harry Maguire; while he would relish the chance to work with Jamie Vardy and get the likes of Demarai Gray firing.  It’s also a decent time for a manager to arrive as he could draft in a couple of fresh faces (Callum Mcgregor and James Forrest already being mentioned) before the window shuts.

Unsurprisingly, Rodgers claimed he was focused on his current position ahead of Celtic’s Cup tie against Airdrie, but did drop in that he thought Leicester was a ‘fantastic club.’

If Leicester does cut ties with Claude Puel, the King Power patrons would seek some excitement after the Frenchman’s soporific reign. Rodgers would certainly restore some animation around the place; and could very well be the man to meet the club’s almost unrealistic expectations.

Rodgers has shown to be tactically savvy and adaptable in the past, and is certainly getting used to the taste of champagne after a successful stint in Scotland. He is far from just one trick pony and would return to England with a point to prove.

On 18/01/2019 at 13:12, Toddybad said:

I can't quite get passed the feeling that Rodgers is basically a lucky Pardew. 

Possibly right. The guy had Suarez and manages in a one team league. I think it is a risk, particularly with our fans and players being weird as ****.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, lgfualol said:

Good luck if you come Brendon. Will give you 6 months before the lads down their tools.

Hopefully if Morgan and Simpson move on and we don’t end up renewing contracts the new manager can have a fresh start and choose a new captain (not Vardy though)

7 minutes ago, lcfcsnow said:

Hopefully if Morgan and Simpson move on and we don’t end up renewing contracts the new manager can have a fresh start and choose a new captain (not Vardy though)

Can definitely imagine us giving Morgan 1-2 more years. Benkovic would probably play though thank god.

1 minute ago, lgfualol said:

Can definitely imagine us giving Morgan 1-2 more years. Benkovic would probably play though thank god.

I can see it too but if Morgan remains as captain any manager we have has the same problem because he’s always in the side, a decision needs to be made on his future. Maybe it’s been made and we’ve not been told, but if so he should be being phased out now.

Wouldn't be surprised if Celtic made a statement soon, suggesting that Rodgers won't be leaving and is 'committed to the club' etc; but, then if LCFC fail to get positive results in the next few games, Puel may well get sacked and that could tempt him in thinking about applying for Puel's position at a club that is building up well - both on and off the pitch - that would suit his management approach that could match the club's aspirations.

Edited by Wymeswold fox

I can feel myself wobbling on Puel again, though I’m not sure today’s loss was entirely his fault. The whole back line were poor, and Ndidi and Mendy constantly giving the ball away.

If he is to go, I hope the club stick to their idea of developing youth as a priority. If Rodgers can do that and is a decent man manager, then I’d be fine with him taking over.

Personally, if it’s going to happen I’d rather it as now. Perhaps give him time to bring in a more creative CM. We are pretty much safe from relegation with little to play for (7th is unlikely), so he can use the rest of the season to experiment and assess the squad before the summer window.