Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
BenTheFox

Recruitment under Puel

1 minute ago, foxile5 said:

Ghezzal is the only one of his signings I would put in the 'crap' camp, but I'm willing to give him a bit more time for him to come good. 

Ghezzal has lived up to expectations. 

He's 26 and had one stand out season and hasn't done nothing since. He's not a terrible player but was an awful purchase. £12m on a player who will here until he is 30 and was never good enough to be anything but a squad player here.  It's not his fault he just isn't that good. 

• Like 4

Got to be fair here, it has improved in this past year under him. Still don't think we've seen the best from most of them yet but there's more logic in most of these signings than we've seen the last couple of summers.

The catch under Puel really isn't so much what we have signed, it's what we haven't.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, foxile5 said:

Ghezzal is the only one of his signings I would put in the 'crap' camp, but I'm willing to give him a bit more time for him to come good. 

He has some moments, I think better as back up in the JM spot than on the wing though. Not great, but not our worst signing either. 

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, BenTheFox said:

Diabete - Cheap buy from the French second division. Showed early signs of promise but not impressive since then. Still plenty of time for him and could do with a loan. He was worth a punt. 

Ricardo - Quality signing. Looking the complete modern fullback at the minute. 

James Maddison - Again, quality signing and picked up for good value in the current market. 

Danny Ward - Finally, a quality backup keeper!
Johnny Evans - Experienced defender available for £3 million. Absolute no brainer. Started off shakey but has looked solid since. 

Soyuncu - Came with a growing reputation. Jury's still out as we've probably not seen enough of him to really comment. 

Benkovic - Doing very well out on loan at Celtic. 

Rachid Ghezzal - The odd moment, but generally poor. 

I believe that we could do with a couple of attacking players but I do believe that the recruitment under Puel has overall been very respectable. Thoughts? 

Main failing has been to dispense with Ulloa, Slimani and Musa without bringing in a suitable replacement to play alongside Vardy. Think we need a big striker who can get on to the end of the crosses supplied by Albrighton, Ricardo and Chilwell. Could Slimani be the answer? Heading is his strong point. If not, we need someone in January - Mitrovic?

• Haha 1

Recruitment is just one part of the job.

I can't think of one manager who has got every signing spot on. Usually it's a 50/50 gamble and Puel is currently bettering that. Sir Alex made many terrible signings.

Players are human (sometimes!) and they come into a new club full of egos and favourites. If they don't establish themselves quickly, most fans pull them to shreds and I'm sure other players mock or bully them too, maybe because they fear for their place in the team. No manager can account for how the established players react, or how new players fit in and settle.

But let's not forget the huge improvements in many of our younger players like Chilwell, Gray, Choudhury. They are almost like new signings.

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, 49er said:

Main failing has been to dispense with Ulloa, Slimani and Musa without bringing in a suitable replacement to play alongside Vardy. Think we need a big striker who can get on to the end of the crosses supplied by Albrighton, Ricardo and Chilwell. Could Slimani be the answer? Heading is his strong point. If not, we need someone in January - Mitrovic?

He was't playing them, so why not off load when we had the chance, we are like Spurs, if Harry Kane is fit he plays, same with Vardy, if he's fit he plays.

I assume he was happy with Nacho for the time being, I would be surprise if we don't bring in a couple of attacking players in the summer.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, yks said:

INB4 the same people bashing him for having spent money on substitutes GK, CB and RW bash him to not have spent more money on a Striker susbstitue when we already have Iheanacho (and Okazaki or Gray) who could play there.

What threat do these pose in the penalty box when a cross comes in?

Just now, 49er said:

What threat do these pose in the penalty box when a cross comes in?

Slimani and Musa were inept and both on stupid wages, so they had to be shipped out. Ulloa was way past it. 

There's a bit revisionism going on with those players. 

• Like 2

I think as time goes on the intention is to play more ball through the middle and on the deck ala ManC and Liverpool with 3 ball playing strikers upfront. I just don’t see us buying a big striker anytime soon.

Probably why we’ve seen him try to phase Albrighton out.

2 minutes ago, cityfanlee23 said:

Can we relax on the Ghezzal bashing after only 500 odd minutes played in mostly sub appearances where the game is either over or being chased? 

I think in those 500 mins you can get an idea of his abilities and 'talent '...apart from the goal against Fleetwood he's shown nothing to suggest he's going to be good enough? 

Most of the signings under Puel's reign have been good apart from Ghezzal but just how much influence have over an individual signing. I understand he may say he wants cover for a particulat position but long gone are the days where the manager actually does the groundwork. Conversely just look at some of the signings made over recent years, some have been dreadful bordering on the insane but hindsight is a wonderful thing as we all know.