Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
PoshhFox

Puel In / Out Poll (12/01/19)

Puel In / Out poll (12/01/19)  

940 members have voted

1. 1. Do you want Puel In or Out?

• In
    • Out

12 minutes ago, Robin JD Popley said:

I don't expect us to have the miracle of 3 years ago again now, or ever again, but I do want our club to be putting in more overall than we've had for most of the season. Today aside, we've been shocking for vast parts of this season and last under his stewardship.

His decision making at times is baffling, as well.

What we’ve been is inconsistent…. Some times coruscating and other times flat as a pancake…. It comes from having a young side learning the game at the very highest level…. 

We can stick it to the big 6…. A pretty encouraging sign if ever I saw one…

Edited by Wolfox
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Nickfosse said:

Really enjoyed our performance today. Very difficult not to be excited at so many young players outplaying Spurs at home. Created more than enough chances to at least draw. The project is clearly taking shape and we’re playing much more exciting attacking football.

Just hoping that everyone can remain calm and not panic, and stick with what is a very exciting developing team led by a fine manager, and I’m sure it will pay dividends over the next couple of seasons. 

Comparing our performances these last two games against top opposition with the way we were playing under Shakespeare before Puel arrived has made realise just what a superb job he is doing. 

:claude:Ladies and gentlemen.....my agent

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Nickfosse said:

Really enjoyed our performance today. Very difficult not to be excited at so many young players outplaying Spurs at home. Created more than enough chances to at least draw. The project is clearly taking shape and we’re playing much more exciting attacking football.

Just hoping that everyone can remain calm and not panic, and stick with what is a very exciting developing team led by a fine manager, and I’m sure it will pay dividends over the next couple of seasons. 

Comparing our performances these last two games against top opposition with the way we were playing under Shakespeare before Puel arrived has made realise just what a superb job he is doing. 

I'm still 'Puel In' after that performance but we have to be careful that we don't undermine our own argument with lines like 'what a superb job he is doing' / 'a fine manager' or slating Shakespeare (who has a better ppg average) in comparison to Puel. Regardless of where we feel progress might have been made, if we say things like this it just won't stand to reason.

Why? Well, we have a draw from our last six games in all comps - something which never happened under Ranieri or Shakespeare - regardless of whether we're playing good, weak or fourth tier sides. There's discontent in the dressing room and on the terraces. We're only slightly better off than when we appointed Puel, in terms of league position, and we're in our worst form for years without yet having the points to be safe. We knew, after the Newport game, that the cup shock could be the catalyst for an absolute disaster and we're still on track for that disaster. If our form continues to collapse in the way it did post-Wycombe, as it has so far, then we'll end up relegated THIS season. That's not hysterical, it's just a fact, even though I don't for a second believe we will be relegated.

So we can't go around saying that he's doing a fantastic job. What we can say is that you see the potential for it to click into place and that it's worth giving him the time to show that performances like today's can translate to victories against weaker sides. But no, he isn't doing 'a superb job'.

Plus, of course, there's no such thing as saying it'll 'pay dividends over the next couple of seasons'. Not only will the experienced players who've tasted success want out because we're not targeting short term success (and, like it or not, Puel would long since have been fired were it not for Vardy's super-human goals-per-chance ratio last season, or his winners against Everton and Cardiff recently - so we massively depend on those players), but the young players will also look for the quicker fix. I don't for a second believe that Maddison, Maguire, Chilwell et al. will stick with the Puel project any longer than Vardy and Schmeichel (and Mahrez) unless there's the hope of competing for accolades.

By all means point out that this is the reality of life as a mid-table side. I agree. But it swings both ways.

• Like 4

It's not healthy that everyone is 'Puel Out' or 'Puel In', with their colours nailed to the mast - some balance is needed. Based on expectations at the start of the season, I'd understand if we fired the manager. We're in our worst form since in four years, his ppg average is worse than Shakespeare's, we know how results like Wycombe/Newport can lead to a collapse from our own history (having nearly ceased to be a club as a result of not heeding warnings in 2001), we're only marginally better off in the league than we were than Puel took charge, there's discontent on the terraces, in the dressing room (from the players who've been most crucial to the success Puel has enjoyed so far). If we lose to Palace, we'll be getting dragged towards a relegation battle, in our worst form since being newly promoted. You can't brush that off so matter-of-factly. 

On the other hand, I saw a side with bags of potential today. They should have won. And we've competed admirably against top sides recently. Something is painfully close to clicking into place. If we fire Puel and things pan out nicely over the next year or so, we'll look on him as the architect for this success. If it goes wrong, we'll wonder whether that fine performance today, and last game, and the game before that, might have soon translated into results against weaker sides. Personally, I see his tenure as being on a knife's edge - and his greatest advocates, myself included, have to accept that he either delivers soon, or we move on.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, inckley fox said:

I'm still 'Puel In' after that performance but we have to be careful that we don't undermine our own argument with lines like 'what a superb job he is doing' / 'a fine manager' or slating Shakespeare (who has a better ppg average) in comparison to Puel. Regardless of where we feel progress might have been made, if we say things like this it just won't stand to reason.

Why? Well, we have a draw from our last six games in all comps - something which never happened under Ranieri or Shakespeare - regardless of whether we're playing good, weak or fourth tier sides. There's discontent in the dressing room and on the terraces. We're only slightly better off than when we appointed Puel, in terms of league position, and we're in our worst form for years without yet having the points to be safe. We knew, after the Newport game, that the cup shock could be the catalyst for an absolute disaster and we're still on track for that disaster. If our form continues to collapse in the way it did post-Wycombe, as it has so far, then we'll end up relegated THIS season. That's not hysterical, it's just a fact, even though I don't for a second believe we will be relegated.

So we can't go around saying that he's doing a fantastic job. What we can say is that you see the potential for it to click into place and that it's worth giving him the time to show that performances like today's can translate to victories against weaker sides. But no, he isn't doing 'a superb job'.

Plus, of course, there's no such thing as saying it'll 'pay dividends over the next couple of seasons'. Not only will the experienced players who've tasted success want out because we're not targeting short term success (and, like it or not, Puel would long since have been fired were it not for Vardy's super-human goals-per-chance ratio last season, or his winners against Everton and Cardiff recently - so we massively depend on those players), but the young players will also look for the quicker fix. I don't for a second believe that Maddison, Maguire, Chilwell et al. will stick with the Puel project any longer than Vardy and Schmeichel (and Mahrez) unless there's the hope of competing for accolades.

By all means point out that this is the reality of life as a mid-table side. I agree. But it swings both ways.

That’s all fair enough mate. I take your point about Shakespeare’s ppg and I felt it was the correct choice to appoint him. However, those last few performances under his tenure were incredibly poor and I believe it is only right to draw attention to what Puel took over. 

My apologies for the hyperbole. I was genuinely thrilled with some of our attacking play today. Really enjoyed it. Just a shame we didn’t get what we deserved imo

Edited by Nickfosse

10 minutes ago, Nickfosse said:

That’s all fair enough mate. I take your point about Shakespeare’s ppg and I felt it was the correct choice to appoint him. However, those last few performances under his tenure were incredibly poor and I believe it is only right to draw attention to what Puel took over. 

You know, I want Puel to stay. I honestly believe it's leading to something and - like you, I suspect - I didn't get that feeling in Shaky's last few games. I feel there's a great chance that, regardless of whether we fire him today, in two weeks' time, in the summer, or never, we'll look on Puel as a great thing for this club. I'd stick with him, I really would.

But we have to see the argument against him too, and it's growing in strength. If he were fired today, I'd see why. And if we lost to Palace, it'd make even more sense to me. It would go against my instinct for what's best, but I'd get it, because the form is terrible against weak and strong, the chance of it leading to greater catastrophe (next season, if not this season) is swelling and the progress is, in terms of outcomes, increasingly hard to pinpoint.

• Like 1

Puel is never going to fully succeed here. Even if, by hook or by crook, we become a consistent, entertaining side, the weight of negativity against him will always be there. Pearson was never fully accepted by all, even Ranieri had his detractors. 

He needs to go, for both the club to move on and himself. It can't be healthy for him, either. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, brucey said:

I keep note of several self-proclaimed forum and Twitter ITK’s as well as various journalists track records, as I used to bet very heavily on transfers and managers (mostly 3 figure bets, and did very well at it). Fin has a very poor record over the 2+ years I’ve been doing it :dunno:

I'm not going to highlight anyone, but some ITKs are less ITK than people who literally never make any predictions whatsoever.

One day someone is going to say 'He's going to be fired tonight' and, lo and behold, he'll be fired that night. I just hope people look at their past record and how many times they've said they'll be fired tonight before they hail them a prophet.

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, inckley fox said:

It's not healthy that everyone is 'Puel Out' or 'Puel In', with their colours nailed to the mast - some balance is needed. Based on expectations at the start of the season, I'd understand if we fired the manager. We're in our worst form since in four years, his ppg average is worse than Shakespeare's, we know how results like Wycombe/Newport can lead to a collapse from our own history (having nearly ceased to be a club as a result of not heeding warnings in 2001), we're only marginally better off in the league than we were than Puel took charge, there's discontent on the terraces, in the dressing room (from the players who've been most crucial to the success Puel has enjoyed so far). If we lose to Palace, we'll be getting dragged towards a relegation battle, in our worst form since being newly promoted. You can't brush that off so matter-of-factly. 

On the other hand, I saw a side with bags of potential today. They should have won. And we've competed admirably against top sides recently. Something is painfully close to clicking into place. If we fire Puel and things pan out nicely over the next year or so, we'll look on him as the architect for this success. If it goes wrong, we'll wonder whether that fine performance today, and last game, and the game before that, might have soon translated into results against weaker sides. Personally, I see his tenure as being on a knife's edge - and his greatest advocates, myself included, have to accept that he either delivers soon, or we move on.

:appl:

Very fair

16 minutes ago, inckley fox said:

You know, I want Puel to stay. I honestly believe it's leading to something and - like you, I suspect - I didn't get that feeling in Shaky's last few games. I feel there's a great chance that, regardless of whether we fire him today, in two weeks' time, in the summer, or never, we'll look on Puel as a great thing for this club. I'd stick with him, I really would.

But we have to see the argument against him too, and it's growing in strength. If he were fired today, I'd see why. And if we lost to Palace, it'd make even more sense to me. It would go against my instinct for what's best, but I'd get it, because the form is terrible against weak and strong, the chance of it leading to greater catastrophe (next season, if not this season) is swelling and the progress is, in terms of outcomes, increasingly hard to pinpoint.

This and your previous post are both excellent  Inckley! It sums up pretty much how I feel. Never been so conflicted in truth.