Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
StanSP

Eduardo Macia to Bordeaux

• 3 weeks later...
3 hours ago, smiley said:

Do we not have a head of recruitment in place then now?

Has Steve Walsh been appointed anywhere? 

No, still no news of the Head of Recruitment.  A return for Walsh has been mentioned as a possibility (he is out of work), along with Lee Congerton (I think most - with the exception of our Manager - wouldn't want him).  Personally I would look at new blood - possibly Sven Mislintat, ex-Arsenal and Borussia Dortmund.

1 minute ago, bald reynard said:

No, still no news of the Head of Recruitment.  A return for Walsh has been mentioned as a possibility (he is out of work), along with Lee Congerton (I think most - with the exception of our Manager - wouldn't want him).  Personally I would look at new blood - possibly Sven Mislintat, ex-Arsenal and Borussia Dortmund.

Sven Mislentat in your dreams!

16 minutes ago, coolhandfox said:

Can't see the club putting all its eggs in one basket and employing Lee Congerton, if Rogers moves on you lose you recruitment setup as well as your manager.

I wouldn't be surprised to see Walsh return.

Good point, the thing is though it depends on how much they want to appease Rodgers, I'm not sure if he came to them with the request they'd want to get off on the wrong foot

2 minutes ago, Nicolo Barella said:

Hardly trusted, he proved he can't handle bigger money which is what we have now. Poaching RB Leipzig's head of recruitment would be a real coup imo.

He proved he couldn't be a Director of Football, which is not what we're after. We aren't going to poach any from big clubs unless we offer them the DOF position

Edited by The Horse's Mouth

Just now, The Horse's Mouth said:

He proved he couldn't be a Director of Football, which is not what we're after. We aren't going to poach any from big clubs unless we offer them the DOF position

It's easy to judge a Head scout, you basically look at their CV over the last few years and you can judge their buys retrospectively.

Anyone who thinks employing Congerton is a good idea I'd like to know which buys were the ones that convinced you?

38 minutes ago, The Horse's Mouth said:

True. Would Walsh even come back? I'm sure he's quite comfortably retired with his family up in Liverpool after the severance pay he was undoubtedly handed when fired from Everton

36 minutes ago, StriderHiryu said:

Good

Ndidi

Maguire

Evans

Maddison

Ricardo

Tielemans

Decent

Iborra

Ward

Jury's Out / Can't judge yet

Soyuncu

Benkovic

Ghezall (could arguably be in the poor category)

Poor

Ihenacho
Adrien Silva

Left the Club (Probably not Macia's department, but this is who he had to replace)

Ulloa

Iborra

Drinkwater

Mahrez

Musa

Overall if you had to evaluate Macia's time at the club, I'd say he did a good job. Maybe even a great one! It even seems like we will get money back on Silva / use him in a part exchange so only Nacho seems like a real flop as of the time of writing. If the next head of recruitment did a similar job, the squad would improve again and we wouldn't have wasted too much money.

Good luck to the guy I say, he did a good job for us here.

I'd agree with most of this but for me, whatever way you look at it... 19 mill for Soyuncu seems a bad deal. 

He may end up improving and being a decent player, but there's been nothing to suggest hes anywhere close to a 19 million pound player.  For 19 mill you expect something pretty damn special, whatever their age. 

1 hour ago, Babylon said:

Good point, the thing is though it depends on how much they want to appease Rodgers, I'm not sure if he came to them with the request they'd want to get off on the wrong foot

Maybe but I go by the fact that he left Celtic mid-season, that he wanted to be here as much as we wanted him.

I suppose we will see, it also seems this has been bubbling for sometime, so I expect the club has being looking at a replacement for some time.

3 minutes ago, Lambert09 said:

I'd agree with most of this but for me, whatever way you look at it... 19 mill for Soyuncu seems a bad deal. 

He may end up improving and being a decent player, but there's been nothing to suggest hes anywhere close to a 19 million pound player.  For 19 mill you expect something pretty damn special, whatever their age. 

Bit much to be judging him after 8 appearance... 

• Thanks 1