Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Steven

Wolves A Post Match Thread 4 - 3

1 hour ago, StriderHiryu said:

Last season everyone on Foxes Talk slated Chilwell for being crap, but now he is England's first choice left back. Last season he was a "bad" footballer and this season he is magically a "good" footballer. How did that happen? He was given an extended run in the first team, coached correctly and worked on his own game to improve it.

Put any disdain for the manager aside for a second! We have the second youngest squad in the Premier League, behind only Liverpool. Watford who are 2 points above us have the oldest and there is a 5 year age difference between us. Being a young player is no guarantee you are going to become a good one, but there is upward growth and potential. Everton out spent us again this season but are below us. West Ham spent more than us and are on the same amount of points. We may well end the season below both, but if our players continue to develop, they may become great players and we may become a great team as a result of it. Those are mediocre teams without potential, whereas we are a mediocre team with stacks of it.

The Premier League is dominated by money. Only one team has ever won the league without a massive transfer outlay and that was us! It was 5000/1 for a reason, because statistically it shouldn't have been possible! If we ever want to break even the top 6 of teams with revenues several times greater than our own, we need to either get lucky again or think outside of the box. Our plan is to find promising youngsters, keep them together and forge a team around them. It's better than West Ham's "buy experienced pros for big money / wages" strategy IMO because their team is at it's limit, whereas for many of our players their journey has just begun.

Alex Ferguson once put his faith in a set of players; Giggs, the Nevilles, Beckham, Scholes, Butt. Not all of them were superstars, but between them they took Manchester United to another level. Claude Puel is unlikely to be the person to lead us to our next glory, but the club is laying the foundations for possible future success.

I agree with you on most points. There will never be anything more beautiful in our football life than our 5000/1 championship. But your first post was mainly about our young players. For example I still believe Chilwell is completely overrated. The main culprit is national coach Southgate. It was much too early to nominate him for the national team. Chilwell is very fast and his ball control is good. He is only mediocre on the defensive and in single combat. His passes and crosses are just terrible. But that could be learned and trained. Apparently, CP did not do that with him every day. Please compare Chilwell with Andrew Robertson who came from Hull City just like Maguire to Liverpool. So plays a very good and modern left back...fortunately for Chillwill, Robertson is a Scot

One of the biggest problems I see under Puel is the lack of discipline in so many areas of our play. Challenges are sloppy, positioning is sloppy, possession is sloppy, passing is sloppy....You see a pattern emerging. Right from Kasper's distribution all the way through the team. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, TeaMen Tom said:

In Claude's defense, he asked his team for a response after a dreadful start - and got it. They attacked very effectively and gafs aside, Gray behind Vardy was not a bad combo.  He got let down by some simply dreadful defending. Simpson finally gets a chance to start, he needed to do better.  And Wes got burned twice.  Those breakdowns aside, they were decent.  

If you replace the manager with 3 big clubs coming up and go 0-3, then where are you?  I'd let it ride with Claude for the time being.  Maybe we're seeing the ex player come out in him a little bit.  He was fired up on the sidelines today - a little more of that.

Still you get the feeling that this team is underachieving. Top has a big, big decision to make moving forward.  I just wouldn't make it this week.

Agreed. I'd  keep Claude in for the run of games against the big sides. My preference would be to keep until the end of the season for continuity sake and start making plans to sign the right person from now.

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, Tanya said:

Agreed. I'd  keep Claude in for the run of games against the big sides. My preference would be to keep until the end of the season for continuity sake and start making plans to sign the right person from now.

Have fallen in line with this view but my preference would be to get rid a month  or so before the end of the season to demonstrate intent

• Like 1

Has a feeling similar to when Ranieri was sacked. Main difference being that we were staring relegation in the face when Ranieri was sacked but that won't be the case this season. The similarity is that the players dont seem to be behind Puel. Whilst Puel has to take some responsibility for our recent dreadful form, the players just aren't helping him out at all. We know some of our players aren't great and we need a fair few moving on but even our worst players are no worse than what turn out each week for most of the teams in the bottom half of the table. Even with limited players you can battle results out but only if the players are 100% committed in every game. Cant say all of our players are fully commited right now for whatever reason. You should never lose a game when you score 3 goals away from home. 

Just a rumour passed on from a friend that with Vichais passing and 100 days of mourning being observed until the final cremation, and apparently no decisions will be made until this has passed as is tradition. May be/likely to be rubbish, but should confirm that Top has higher priorities than football at the moment 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, DerbyshireFox said:

Just a rumour passed on from a friend that with Vichais passing and 100 days of mourning being observed until the final cremation, and apparently no decisions will be made until this has passed as is tradition. May be/likely to be rubbish, but should confirm that Top has higher priorities than football at the moment 

Not only that but presumably his estate isn’t something that will be tied up overnight. Said it in another thread but got laughed at - Puel is going nowhere. 

Most fans wanting him out are oblivious to the current circumstances at the club. 

Edited by Monk
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, jayfox26 said:

Has a feeling similar to when Ranieri was sacked. Main difference being that we were staring relegation in the face when Ranieri was sacked but that won't be the case this season. The similarity is that the players dont seem to be behind Puel. Whilst Puel has to take some responsibility for our recent dreadful form, the players just aren't helping him out at all. We know some of our players aren't great and we need a fair few moving on but even our worst players are no worse than what turn out each week for most of the teams in the bottom half of the table. Even with limited players you can battle results out but only if the players are 100% committed in every game. Cant say all of our players are fully commited right now for whatever reason. You should never lose a game when you score 3 goals away from home. 

So despite players openly stating differently in the press, the photos of Vardy arm round Puel and smiling with him, despite being two nil down today and a flawed but incredible attempt at a fight back today  ... you still seem to see something somewhere to suggest that the players aren't committed to the manager or the cause ? Wow, you clearly have the gift of a 6th sense and have no need to base anything on evidence. Spooky!  ?????

5 minutes ago, DerbyshireFox said:

Yes and quite right too. There are bigger things in life than football and Leicester City  ... lest we forget.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, AlloverthefloorYesNdidi said:

Ricardo is so good i can see why we'd want to use him as an attacking mid. But it means putting Simpson at RB and i much prefer ricardo there, who can attack from that position anyway

Ricardo RB, Albrighton RW is surely better than Simpson RB, Ricardo RW?

Just now, volpeazzurro said:

So despite players openly stating differently in the press, the photos of Vardy arm round Puel and smiling with him, despite being two nil down today and a flawed but incredible attempt at a fight back today  ... you still seem to see something somewhere to suggest that the players aren't committed to the manager or the cause ? Wow, you clearly have the gift of a 6th sense and have no need to base anything on evidence. Spooky!  ?????

I know what you're saying but i just cant understand what is going so badly wrong at the moment. Our results have taken a drastic downturn recently. I know we have to accept we will be inconsistent as all teams in mid table are but losing to Cardiff, Newport, Southampton and now Wolves is really poor. I know we beat Everton as well and had 2 great wins against Man city and Chelsea but something is clearly not right at the moment. Ive always backed Puel and im not convinced hes fully to blame for our recent form. We all know we have some average/poor players in our squad but the players we have are no worse than the shite that the rest of the bottom half of the table play on a regular basis. 

12 minutes ago, Monk said:

Not only that but presumably his estate isn’t something that will be tied up overnight. Said it in another thread but got laughed at - Puel is going nowhere. 

Most fans wanting him out are oblivious to the current circumstances at the club. 

Top, as assistant manager was able to sack Pearson wasn’t he? Granted, vichai reinstates him but top was still able to do it.

15 minutes ago, Monk said:

Exactly this, which is why it frustrates me so much when people boo players onto the pitch and people in our end joining the wolves fans in the sacked in the morning chants. Football is not Top’s main priority st the moment and whilst people might not like that, it’s how it should be. Reviewed in the summer is the most likely outcome I would say

5 minutes ago, MPH said:

Top, as assistant manager was able to sack Pearson wasn’t he? Granted, vichai reinstates him but top was still able to do it.

Top had bigger priorities at the moment, not just heading up LCFC but the rest of the KP empire, renogiating the business  contracts which other companies will challenge them for. Sacking a manager renowned for bringing through youth, who has us mid table despite the football, with a ground expansion and training ground on the horizon is bottom of the agenda I’d imagine. I may be wrong, but I think Claude will see out the season

• Like 2

1 minute ago, DerbyshireFox said:

Top had bigger priorities at the moment, not just heading up LCFC but the rest of the KP empire, renogiating the business  contracts which other companies will challenge them for. Sacking a manager renowned for bringing through youth, who has us mid table despite the football, with a ground expansion and training ground on the horizon is bottom of the agenda I’d imagine. I may be wrong, but I think Claude will see out the season

vichai did have other children. Tops particular remit is LCFC, amongst other things. 

7 minutes ago, jayfox26 said:

I know what you're saying but i just cant understand what is going so badly wrong at the moment. Our results have taken a drastic downturn recently. I know we have to accept we will be inconsistent as all teams in mid table are but losing to Cardiff, Newport, Southampton and now Wolves is really poor. I know we beat Everton as well and had 2 great wins against Man city and Chelsea but something is clearly not right at the moment. Ive always backed Puel and im not convinced hes fully to blame for our recent form. We all know we have some average/poor players in our squad but the players we have are no worse than the shite that the rest of the bottom half of the table play on a regular basis. 

I'm not being a  super creep for Puel who indeed had his faults but  i suggest that it's more than a little to do with our inadequate playing staff for some of it. Even prior to Puel we were struggling to beat teams that just sat back and effectively nullified Vardy. Even then we could occasionally score through the defence unlocking talent Marhez. Now he's gone why is anyone surprised? Until we buy some solutions to the problem it won't change either whatever manager you put in charge. To believe otherwise is wishful thinking. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, MPH said:

I think it was the other way round.