Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Ian Nacho

Claude Puel defends his Leicester City record

Just now, Poznan34 said:

I feel a bit sorry for him tbh, he felt that winner as much as us all yesterday. We're not a bad side really, he has made some mistakes but so have the players and the recruitment team. He should be given this season at least imo.

I'm not sure a manager would want to come in with what we face over the next 3 games anyhow, we'll very likely get 0 points and that's not a good start for any new manager

2 minutes ago, splinterdream said:

you couldn't explain to me why he plays with 2/3 defensive midfielders against fulham/cardiff at home could you, and why does he keep rotating the back 4?

Rotating the back 4? Simpson comes in when we need Ricardo further up.

Maguire, Evans and Morgan swap depending upon injuries, fitness and form. Chilwell is ever present.

Just now, Poznan34 said:

I feel a bit sorry for him tbh, he felt that winner as much as us all yesterday. We're not a bad side really, he has made some mistakes but so have the players and the recruitment team. He should be given this season at least imo.

Considering we still have plenty of room for improvement and are still a couple of players off a stronger team ...   and they are the mighty Vulverhampton, who many believe are destined for great things ...   we didn’t do too bad ...   and weren’t far off getting a draw on their turf.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Gazza M said:

He certainly is speaking his mind more in the last 2-3 weeks. It is very easy to speak out using the excuse that  expectations are beyond our reach. 

I think we started the season wanting 7th and or a cup run giving us a chance for Europe. If we showed any consistency something we should comfortably get. Something we should have comfortably got last season too but we fall away drastically.

I believe a better manager would walk this side to best of the rest. That's all we ask. Puel is distancing himself from the fans even more with his comments and I'm not sure he has ever understood the fan base and what we expect. 

Just because you want something doesn't mean you're going to get it or even deserve to get it. With the squad we've got I think the chance of getting 7th place was always an outside chance. Regardless of manager, our squad is a few players short of being good enough partly due to the age and inconsistencies of some of them. I personally think Puel is absolutely spot on. 

• Like 2

His record for me speaks for itself, for the moment anyway.

Chilwell was awful last season. Puel stuck by him and now he's England's left back.

Hamza was stuck going nowhere in the u23s and now he's one of our favourite DMs.

Barnes was fairly obviously on track without Puel but he still gave him his scoring PL starting debut.

And we're currently mid table PL. If we start pointing towards the relegation zone everything changes obviously.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, escos said:

Sorry but why can’t we want more after winning the league? 

Cus that was a fantastic freak ...   and all the money clubs chucked even more money at it to make sure we didn’t have the audacity to do it again ...   and they also learned our strategy and found ways round it.  

1 minute ago, volpeazzurro said:

Just because you want something doesn't mean you're going to get it or even deserve to get it. With the squad we've got I think the chance of getting 7th place was always an outside chance. Regardless of manager, our squad is a few players short of being good enough partly due to the age and inconsistencies of some of them. I personally think Puel is absolutely spot on. 

I don't agree. I just think we are set up wrong and we aren't playing to our strengths. Set up better we certainly would win more home games and hopefully not lost 10 games already again this season. 

9 minutes ago, Ricey said:

Most Leicester fans don’t expect top 6. Some, yes. Most, no. If he really thinks that he is missing the point entirely.

We want to see progression, entertainment and signs that we are moving in the right direction in the areas that he himself was hired to improve. We aren’t seeing enough of that.

He seems really hung up on these mythical expectations. Either he’s misreading the pressure or he’s using it as an excuse.

Either way I don’t like him constantly talking like this in public. He comes across bitter and negative, whilst the fans come across as having unrealistic expectations.

Another poster in here said we should walk 7th.

Some say they want entertainment but arent happy with the Wolves game due to the result

You're not really giving the fans credit for how confused and mental they are

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Countryfox said:

Cus that was a fantastic freak ...   and all the money clubs chucked even more money at it to make sure we didn’t have the audacity to do it again ...   and they also learned our strategy and found ways round it.  

I’m not saying we should be expecting to win it again, but wanting to push for Europe every year should not be laughed at like it is. Not saying we will challenge for it but we should try. If not, what’s the point?

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, AlloverthefloorYesNdidi said:

Another poster in here said we should walk 7th.

Some say they want entertainment but arent happy with the Wolves game due to the result

You're not really giving the fans credit for how confused and mental they are

What are your expectations? 

3 minutes ago, escos said:

I’m not saying we should be expecting to win it again, but wanting to push for Europe every year should not be laughed at like it is. Not saying we will challenge for it but we should try. If not, what’s the point?

We are pushing for Europe. Its just not the cake walk people try to make out it should be for us

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, Ricey said:

Most Leicester fans don’t expect top 6. Some, yes. Most, no. If he really thinks that he is missing the point entirely.

We want to see progression, entertainment and signs that we are moving in the right direction in the areas that he himself was hired to improve. We aren’t seeing enough of that.

He seems really hung up on these mythical expectations. Either he’s misreading the pressure or he’s using it as an excuse.

Either way I don’t like him constantly talking like this in public. He comes across bitter and negative, whilst the fans come across as having unrealistic expectations.

I want him to stay but I 100% agree with this.

The media seem to wrongly think this too. You'd think the lazy journos would stalk these pages (like they do for most of their stories) and realise that.

Edited by Nalis
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Gazza M said:

What are your expectations? 

As I just replied to another post, we should be pushing for Europe and cup runs as best we can. I just understand its difficult and we might not do it straightaway/every season

As far as i can tell the club has these ambitions. I dont agree when people say we dont. I just disagree when people say we should do it easily

2 minutes ago, AlloverthefloorYesNdidi said:

As I just replied to another post, we should be pushing for Europe and cup runs as best we can. I just understand its difficult and we might not do it straightaway/every season

As far as i can tell the club has these ambitions. I dont agree when people say we dont. I just disagree when people say we should do it easily

Fair enough. I just feel if we played to Vardys strengths more and got more bodies in the box when going forward we would be more of a force at home and put sides away like Cardiff, Southampton and a 10 man West Ham. I think Puel makes hard work of these situations. 

I think our fans expected to get some sort of a result against Southampton, Cardiff, Fulham, Palace and Newport, they expected us to at least attack these teams, I don't think thats setting expectations too high. Playing a second squad in the cup matches is annoying, especially against Newport where he's playing players that have been told they can leave. This isn't the fans fault.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Gazza M said:

Fair enough. I just feel if we played to Vardys strengths more and got more bodies in the box when going forward we would be more of a force at home and put sides away like Cardiff, Southampton and a 10 man West Ham. I think Puel makes hard work of these situations. 

Would love to see us get more out of Vardy. I dont know how simple it is to fix our issues. Dont personally know exactly how to solve them, without spending. We need to buy

I feel like he's setting up the narrative incase he gets the boot. Gets everyone to feel sorry for him against those nasty fans with unrealistic expectations. Keeps his stock nice and high despite efforts on the pitch.

I reiterate that I want him to stay but these episodes dont exactly help. Has he even engaged with the fans or anything to discuss his grievances?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, urban.spaceman said:

Couldnt understand a word

Done a quick translation for you guys:

Interviewer: According to bookies you're a big favourite for the sack, you're the least secure Premier League manager according to them, how do you..-

Claude: Since the beginning of the season, yes

I: Since the beginning of the season ...[I literally have no idea what he's saying here but it's not important anyway]... how do you explain that because being 9th... to us it seems like a good result for a team like Leicester?"

C: We finished the first half of the season in 7th behind the big 6, quarter finalists eliminated on pens against Man City, but there's a particular atmosphere around the club... I think since the club won the league... there's a disparity, I think, between the genuine capabilities of the club & team and the very, very high expectations.  We move on very quickly from victories to defeats where the emotions are suddenly at complete odds...

I: And yet here in Southern Europe we'd think you're bossing it at Leicester...

C: Well there's certainly a lot of pressure at this club, but I have to take that into consideration, deal with it, and maintain a certain emotional stability for the players, the staff and myself.

• Thanks 1