Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Ian Nacho

Claude Puel defends his Leicester City record

1 minute ago, AlloverthefloorYesNdidi said:

Would love to see us get more out of Vardy. I dont know how simple it is to fix our issues. Dont personally know exactly how to solve them, without spending. We need to buy

Can we afford to buy players? Maybe with the training ground and bloated squad we don’t have the finances to do business until the summer. 

1 hour ago, pazzerfox said:

If we go back to the Pearson days when we were bottom of the league, supporters still had hope because we actually playing well as a group and were all pulling in the same direction.  Under Claude, it's more about the performances than the results for me.  Everyone doesn't appear to be on the same page.

We still had hope as it was the first season back in the Prem and staying up was the target though, with anything else being a miracle. 

1 minute ago, AlloverthefloorYesNdidi said:

Because there is a difference between aspiration and expectation. Plus a bit of patience is required. Next season can always be a lot better than this season

I just can’t see that happening. I’m sure Puel would be a good manager somewhere. He doesn’t seem to want to change, yet his tactics don’t suit our players, yet won’t buy new ones. Nothing against him on a personal level I just don’t  think it’s working and can’t see that changing. 

29 minutes ago, escos said:

Sorry but why can’t we want more after winning the league? We keep getting told that we were in league 1 so should be grateful. Why can’t it work the other way?

and if like some say we will be a 7-12 team we may as well be entertained whilst doing it!! Understand he’s trying to build but he’s hardly only been here a month or two. He’s had over a year.

I think the difference is 'wanting' and/or 'expecting'.. I really want LCFC to be a consistent top 6 club and i want us to be up there challenging for the title again.

However on a realistic level i accept that probably wont be the case, unless Top pumps a large amount of pennies into the bank for transfers. Doesn't stop me wanting it though, i'm just not expecting it.

With regards to your comment 'he's had over a year' you have to realise that's not a long time, especially when you are bringing in young players who still need to proves themselves in the league.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, AlloverthefloorYesNdidi said:

In truth in the last 6 or 7 premier league games less than half have been boring

Not really, I’ve been to them all. We either robbed a result or have been beaten after playing boring negative football. 

You still haven’t answered my question from yesterday. At what point does it become his fault to you? 

Edited by ARTY_FOX

He knows what he wants, which is good. But for me, what he wants we currently don’t have the capabilities. You should always play to strengths. Not what you want to see. Puel wants to see possession football winning games. Most games we have won have been on won on the counter. We are too easy to defend against because the football is very slow. We don’t pressure the opposition enough when they’re on the ball and that showed yesterday. It just feels like there’s a plan but not a fully functioning one. 

Sometimes he doesn’t help himself with what he says and I’m not having that it’s lost in translation. He knows what he’s saying and doing. 

For what my opinion is worth, I feel we have a very average group of ageing players and he is doing a steady job in bringing through new, younger players whilst trying to reduce the squad size/wage bill. 

Unfortunately having patience now days is evidently not possible. 

The most disappointing thing for me is the way we set up against teams that we should be taking the games to at home and coming out comfortable winners. KP used to be a fortress. Now teams that are coming to us are just sitting back because we struggle to break them down and hit us in the counter. Then we find ourselves behind and again struggle to break teams down because they go even more defensive. It’s frustrating more than anything. 

He's right the club has far too high expectations, but does he go onto explain anything about the abysmal home form? Or the reports of player unrest? 

He's been really vocal recently which is fine and he deserves his chance to say his bit, but everytime he does i can just see him ruffling the fans feathers. 

He needs to get the fans onside, i am not sure thus helps.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, ARTY_FOX said:

Not really, I’ve been to them all. We either robbed a result or have been beaten after playing boring negative football. 

You still haven’t answered my question from yesterday. At what point does it become his fault to you? 

Ask me again in September, if he's still here

Whilst Mendy and Albrighton and the crew are gifting the opposition pens and assists and our games are full of other such blunders my first thought is the players arent performing consistently

4 minutes ago, escos said:

I just can’t see that happening. I’m sure Puel would be a good manager somewhere. He doesn’t seem to want to change, yet his tactics don’t suit our players, yet won’t buy new ones. Nothing against him on a personal level I just don’t  think it’s working and can’t see that changing. 

What tactics do suit them? The league win was years ago, the players have gone, the counter attack low posession game was proven a bust in the 18 months before Puel arrived.

Fact is since the title we've been consistently higher in the league playing the football you say isn't suited than the football people seem to think is suited.

It's clunky, it'a not fun to watch half the time. But people act like a change in style will reap rewards. I'm not sure what it's based on as we've had zero proof of that, the counter works against teams who attack but at home so few attempt to. We need to find another way and that's likely to also fall into what some consider "not suited".

Im torn out him, I have doubts whether he has the skill to implement what he wants to. But I absolutely think he's trying to do the right thing and it's not an easy task with the squad rebuild he's having to do.

• Like 2

We’ve been spoilt over the years with achievement and style... we now are pitched realistically where we could expect to be but the style of football is so dour it’s hard to watch at times. 

CP is probably the most adrift of the fans I can remember since someone like Levein or Taylor and at times Megson... his defiance in pressers is not helping him...

2 minutes ago, Bert said:

The most disappointing thing for me is the way we set up against teams that we should be taking the games to at home and coming out comfortable winners. KP used to be a fortress. Now teams that are coming to us are just sitting back because we struggle to break them down and hit us in the counter. Then we find ourselves behind and again struggle to break teams down because they go even more defensive. It’s frustrating more than anything. 

I think he sets us up defensively because of our lack of pace at centre half, to try and compensate for that. Yesterday he played a slightly more attacking side and we got battered defensively. Possibly he thought Soyunco could adapt quicker on his move so he could slot in and add some legs there. 

He definitely reads this forum and thinks right, I’m going to go on the French equivalent of Fletcher and Sav and start wumming those FoxesTalk bellends, can’t wait to watch that “hot” label pop up under the inevitable thread title while I drink my brandy and get an underwhelming gobble off maddame Puel later on. It’s the only logical explanation. 

Edited by Manini
  • Haha 1

7 minutes ago, AlloverthefloorYesNdidi said:

Would love to see us get more out of Vardy. I dont know how simple it is to fix our issues. Dont personally know exactly how to solve them, without spending. We need to buy

We need to certainly get another striker in as support. Secondly I think we need to start playing balls in to the channels for Vardy to run on to again and get the opposition defenders stretched and moving around. Finally play at a tempo much faster and come out of the traps at the start of the match with much more intent and not asleep.

2 minutes ago, Abrasive fox said:

He's right the club has far too high expectations, but does he go onto explain anything about the abysmal home form? Or the reports of player unrest? 

He's been really vocal recently which is fine and he deserves his chance to say his bit, but everytime he does i can just see him ruffling the fans feathers. 

He needs to get the fans onside, i am not sure thus helps.

He could say something brilliant and many of those who don't like him would pick fault. That's evident from the replies to the Mercury articles where what he's said had been twisted and altered to the point of people quoting stuff he never even said.

Its too late for him now, the fans have turned against him, he has the right ideas but the wrong approach especially with what he says to the media. What worries me is we have 5/6/7 players leaving in the summer, we are investing 100m into the training ground, money in the stadium expansion, will we have the funds to actually invest in the summer and purchase what we need in the attacking department.

• Like 1

Just now, Blue-fox said:

I think he sets us up defensively because of our lack of pace at centre half, to try and compensate for that. Yesterday he played a slightly more attacking side and we got battered defensively. Possibly he thought Soyunco could adapt quicker on his move so he could slot in and add some legs there. 

Its nothing to do with adapting, you can’t adapt if you’re not given the chance to adapt.

Puel appears to be walking a very thin line with the players and he hasn’t got the stones to risk complete dressing room unrest by dropping Wes Morgan.

As much as I slate his tactics I feel sorry for him in this respect and any other manager that comes in. Its clear who rules the roost in the dressing room and if you upset them then you’ve pretty much lost the squad. 

4 minutes ago, Babylon said:

What tactics do suit them? The league win was years ago, the players have gone, the counter attack low posession game was proven a bust in the 18 months before Puel arrived.

Fact is since the title we've been consistently higher in the league playing the football you say isn't suited than the football people seem to think is suited.

It's clunky, it'a not fun to watch half the time. But people act like a change in style will reap rewards. I'm not sure what it's based on as we've had zero proof of that, the counter works against teams who attack but at home so few attempt to. We need to find another way and that's likely to also fall into what some consider "not suited".

Im torn out him, I have doubts whether he has the skill to implement what he wants to. But I absolutely think he's trying to do the right thing and it's not an easy task with the squad rebuild he's having to do.

And yet we beat, Everton, Chelsea, Watford and the first goal against City playing a style you say is bust? 

All im saying is he can’t change the whole team so if we continue losing games he needs to stop being so stubborn and change the way we play. 

15 minutes ago, Ricey said:

Most Leicester fans don’t expect top 6. Some, yes. Most, no. If he really thinks that he is missing the point entirely.

We want to see progression, entertainment and signs that we are moving in the right direction in the areas that he himself was hired to improve. We aren’t seeing enough of that.

He seems really hung up on these mythical expectations. Either he’s misreading the pressure or he’s using it as an excuse.

Either way I don’t like him constantly talking like this in public. He comes across bitter and negative, whilst the fans come across as having unrealistic expectations.

If you're trying to win,  entertainment isn't usually on the agenda, even with the big clubs you can get the odd dull game. I think when it does happen it's a coincidental byproduct and would be the last thing on any managers mind.

Progression however, I think you're quite right as we could all agree we'd want to see that. I do think though that sometimes you have to take one step back to eventually go forward. Puel inherited a mess with some ill fitting expensively purchased players. Some for whatever reasons just had to go and we'd also lost Marhez who, when Vardy is shackled by a deeply defending team, could help to unlock those stubborn deences. We made some good summer purchases in Maddison and Pereira who at last filled the requirements for an attacking right wing back but, both he had to get up to the speed and physicality of the Premiership along with Maddison. Soyuncu and Benkovic are good prospects and  Barnes has now returned and Choudhury introduced. None of these can be expected to be instant battle hardened seasoned professionals capable of consistently matching opposition counterparts.

Along with Chilwell and Gray they will be inconsistent and make mistakes. All this makes them rank outsiders for the 7th spot and Europe aimed for  ... but, the potential, if kept together and with targeted recruitment as good as last summer, is outstanding. One step back, three forward. From fans however it's going to take patience and a departure from the stamping of the feet demands of wanting something and wanting it now. To get another manager in just yet could either put paid to the whole lot or at least delay it for 12-18 months whilst the next incumbent evaluates etc etc. Meanwhile, patience will start to run out yet again. There's an urgent need to break this vicious cycle I believe and stop following the crowd that are the teams making up that ten or twelve sides around us swirling around in the hapless circles of management sackings and purchases of mediocre players at the whim of the next new manager who keeps trotting the word philosophy out.

• Like 3

Sorry but I just find his comments unbelievable, of course we don't expect to win the title, but we expect to be win the games we have been throwing away especially at home. Maybe he should ask the question of himself is he good for the players we have, when we play his style we win 29% and when we played in our old counter attacking style we win 50% which tell me which style is best. I don't know why people think Puel has bought anything to this club, people say he bought in younger players, but with aging squad of course you going to bring in younger players, he seems to have alienated most of the fans at the club, to which he replies that's not my concern or that jokes he's a grave digger but looking at mess Southampton now find themselves in I wonder if it's not a accurate description. 

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Babylon said:

He could say something brilliant and many of those who don't like him would pick fault. That's evident from the replies to the Mercury articles where what he's said had been twisted and altered to the point of people quoting stuff he never even said.

Actions speak louder than words.

Performances are crap, the fans think the football is shite and then he adds fuel to the fire by saying this, and that people have moved on too quickly from the Vichai. None of this has been twisted or misquoted.

Even you as the most objectionable person on here must see that is a problem......

• Like 1