Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
urban.spaceman

Tielemans Signs From Monaco; Silva Goes T’other Way

19 minutes ago, Ric Flair said:

The lad was thrown in to first team football just days after his 16th birthday at Belgium's biggest and most expectant club. He's then gone to a ridiculously wealthy club with a fan base that is bizarre to say the least, I don't think he'd have been too fazed with coming on in the 2nd half on Sunday. Mendy was deliberately trying to get sent off and yet we were still well in the game, it would have been ideal for him. Anyway, it's likely he'll start on Sunday which is refreshing news.

Fair shout Ric, but he was probably at least familiar with how his team mates in the Belgium side played and I'm assuming he at last trained with them as part of their squad though that's only an assumption. The point being, it's not the big stage that would have been the problem, it's the lack of familiarity with the style and patterns of the team. Let's face it, even when these guys have been playing and training together for so long, we see passes going out of play because two players were not on the same wavelength. I am looking forward to seeing him on Sunday and hope he hits the ground running.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, AlloverthefloorYesNdidi said:

Bizarre fanbase, he'd have been right at home lol 

There is always the possibility that home games are so likely to be a drag that a new signing is best off starting away from home

I really dont see the issue here.  Its 20 minutes of pitch time being discussed!

Sean from Enderby says he's starting at the weekend anyway

It's a fair discussion though isn't it? We have a growing problem of breaking teams down at home, especially when conceding early and after finally bringing in a player to potentially change that, he opted to leave him out of the squad and go with the same midfielders who have struggled all season. Our bench contained two strikers that are pretty much non-existent this season, there's an argument we should just go with 5 subs when it's them pair left to choose from.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Ric Flair said:

It's a fair discussion though isn't it? We have a growing problem of breaking teams down at home, especially when conceding early and after finally bringing in a player to potentially change that, he opted to leave him out of the squad and go with the same midfielders who have struggled all season. Our bench contained two strikers that are pretty much non-existent this season, there's an argument we should just go with 5 subs when it's them pair left to choose from.

It is awful that at the moment we have not a single striker who can come on and give you any kind of hope

7 minutes ago, Ric Flair said:

This is my whole point and at the risk of repeating myself again it’s more a frustration with Pule’s over cautiousness . 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, AlloverthefloorYesNdidi said:

It is awful that at the moment we have not a single striker who can come on and give you any kind of hope

That may be part of the problem, or moreso the more basic issue is is that our midfielders, be it in the middle or on the flanks, have a torrid time linking up with either Vardy or Iheanacho (or Okazaki to a certain extent).

The link-up play there in general is rather terrible and has been for most of the season.

It's simply not effective enough.

I mean, when you're actively setting out with a defensive approach under Puel, then you have to make your chances count up front.

For some reason or another, we can't or we don't want to do just that. It usually ends up overcomplicating things, taking a felt eternity to get to the opposing box.

Edited by MC Prussian

14 minutes ago, MC Prussian said:

That may be part of the problem, or moreso the more basic issue is is that our midfielders, be it in the middle or on the flanks, have a torrid time linking up with either Vardy or Iheanacho (or Okazaki to a certain extent).

The link-up play there in general is rather terrible and has been for most of the season.

It's simply not effective enough.

I mean, when you're actively setting out with a defensive approach under Puel, then you have to make your chances count up front.

For some reason or another, we can't or we don't want to do just that. It usually ends up overcomplicating things, taking a felt eternity to get to the opposing box.

The lack of movement of our forwards has been mentioned a few times on here.  Our players all seem a bit crap at finding space which makes those forward passes twice as difficult

I dont know if this lack of movement is tactical or fear on part of the players of taking the initiative

I know I liked us a lot more with Barnes up there who seems to be nice and lively movement wise.  Hope he starts every game from here on in

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, AlloverthefloorYesNdidi said:

The lack of movement of our forwards has been mentioned a few times on here.  Our players all seem a bit crap at finding space which makes those forward passes twice as difficult

I dont know if this lack of movement is tactical or fear on part of the players of taking the initiative

I know I liked us a lot more with Barnes up there who seems to be nice and lively movement wise.  Hope he starts every game from here on in

It isn't merely the forwards. The lack of movement all over the pitch is poor but it is exagerated in the final third because we essentially play just one up front. I've also no idea if it is tactical or otherwise but it is something we really need to work on and sort out or we can have 5 attacking midfiled players in the team and they won't have an option to pass to.

There is of course one thing that sets Barnes apart from his team mates and that is that he hasn't been here for most of the season. So is his movment off the ball a natural part of his game or is this something that was worked on and the WBA training ground?

2 minutes ago, reynard said:

It isn't merely the forwards. The lack of movement all over the pitch is poor but it is exagerated in the final third because we essentially play just one up front. I've also no idea if it is tactical or otherwise but it is something we really need to work on and sort out or we can have 5 attacking midfiled players in the team and they won't have an option to pass to.

There is of course one thing that sets Barnes apart from his team mates and that is that he hasn't been here for most of the season. So is his movment off the ball a natural part of his game or is this something that was worked on and the WBA training ground?

Mmmaybe, but then we're getting dangerously close to saying West Brom is a team that knows about dangerous movement in the final third lol 

Movement off the ball and playing it quickly is key in breaking defensive lines and we have been poor in this for so long it hurts my head to think about it.

On Sunday I did see better movement, mostly from Barnes as has already been said, but I also saw Vardy look to go in behind several times. Sadly the ball in to him was never even attempted.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, AlloverthefloorYesNdidi said:

Mmmaybe, but then we're getting dangerously close to saying West Brom is a team that knows about dangerous movement in the final third lol 

Haha I don't know enough about WBA to say for certain but let's see what pans out. If Barnes basically follows the rest of the squad and stops moving off the ball then that might suggest something about our own training.

3 minutes ago, Bablemikey said:

Movement off the ball and playing it quickly is key in breaking defensive lines and we have been poor in this for so long it hurts my head to think about it.

On Sunday I did see better movement, mostly from Barnes as has already been said, but I also saw Vardy look to go in behind several times. Sadly the ball in to him was never even attempted.

Bingo!

47 minutes ago, Bablemikey said:

This. We just haven't made any progress on it at all. 

10 minutes ago, Deeg67 said:

Believe me, Tielmans will attempt that ball. Many times per match.

You're right. That stat where he lost the ball something like 30 times in a game for Monaco will have been making forward passes that were unsuccessful. To start with, this is what we need to see, but with it must come some accuracy and success.

1 hour ago, Bablemikey said:

It was defo attempted at least once, Maddison got a throughball intercepted on its way to Vardy by Bailly or Lindelof

• Like 1

2 hours ago, reynard said:

....funny you should say that!!!

Is it me, or has our passing deteriorated. A lot of our players appear to be going backwards in their distribution and this coupled with the lack of movement does not help. It is all very well getting a new training ground but we need to have someone (or team) capable of  coaching these players. The fact that Ndidi has not improved, in respect of his passing, with, what was identified a year ago is a surprise.

We need to take a look at existing coaches around and look to bring them in to take us to the next level.

Having watched Blackburns under 23 v our Under 23, I was well impressed by Damien Johnson's team and I really think this guy is one to keep an eye on!!!

Damien Johnson

Coaching career[edit]

Following his retirement from football, Johnson went into coaching, completing his coaching qualifications and gaining experience assisting at various clubs including Everton.

Blackburn Rovers[edit]

In April 2015, Johnson returned to Blackburn Rovers, the club at which he began his English career, as U14 academy coach.[22] After three months he was appointed U21 lead coach, a post which was redesignated professional development phase lead coach when the development squad began to compete at under-23 level.

6 minutes ago, Stadt said:

He only started 27 games and was 34, hero

One of my personal all time favourites, even though he only had a season here. The fact he could perform like that aged 34 was incredible. Had he come to the Premier League in his pomp, I have no doubt he would have pissed all over it, Vieria / Keane style. He might well have been better than both! Part of Mourinho's treble winning team, he has gone on record at stating his admiration for the player. The crazy thing is that not only did Cambiasso score those goals from a defensive midfield position, he also missed several chance that season too. Against Man U in the 5-3 he had a chance to score in the first half and I can also remember him missing a really good opportunity against Chelsea too. He was just one of those players who was 2 steps ahead of the game. When he played for us, physically he was in poor condition, but mentally top notch! Who knows if he decides to go into management one day we might see him back. Stranger things have happened.

"I won the treble with Cambiasso," said Mourinho. "He belongs to my golden team at Inter. He is one of the players who means a lot to me.

"He has been phenomenal for them (Leicester) so I am very happy for him. When Inter renovated their team, for the worse, maybe he felt it was not his Inter anymore.

"Next season, if he wants to, he will play with Leicester in the Premier League, for sure."

The Chelsea boss, who needs just five points to become 'champion' once more, may sound presumptuous when speaking of Leicester's chances of survival, but he basis it on their levels of performance.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, sacreblueits442 said:

....funny you should say that!!!

Is it me, or has our passing deteriorated. A lot of our players appear to be going backwards in their distribution and this coupled with the lack of movement does not help. It is all very well getting a new training ground but we need to have someone (or team) capable of  coaching these players. The fact that Ndidi has not improved, in respect of his passing, with, what was identified a year ago is a surprise.

We need to take a look at existing coaches around and look to bring them in to take us to the next level.

Having watched Blackburns under 23 v our Under 23, I was well impressed by Damien Johnson's team and I really think this guy is one to keep an eye on!!!

There is a lot in what you say. I wouldn't like to comment on the relative abilities of our coaching team as I haven't seen enough of the various youth teams to feel I have enough knowledge of them. However, I do think we need to ensure we have the best forward looking coaches possible throughout the club.

Edited by reynard
  • Like 1

I think people are missing the point Puel was making in not chucking him straight in. It’s not that he couldn’t handle it, it’s the fact he hasn’t earnt his place. What would that say to the players who have been working hard to make the squad (Hamza) if they get booted based on YT’s reputation alone.

Its about managing your squad, this isn’t football manager. An unhappy squad will certainly loose you your job, so making the fans wait a week to see a new player is a small price. 

Everyone has to earn their place, it doesn’t matter who you are. Im as excited as anyone to see him play but I think it would be incredibly harsh for Hamza to be relegated back to the under 23’s to make way for him. 

Edited by Lambert09
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, Lambert09 said:

I think people are missing the point Puel was making in not chucking him straight in. It’s not that he couldn’t handle it, it’s the fact he hasn’t earnt his place. What would that say to the players who have been working hard to make the squad (Hamza) if they get booted based on YT’s reputation alone.

Its about managing your squad, this isn’t football manager. An unhappy squad will certainly loose you your job, so making the fans wait a week to see a new player is a small price. 

Everyone has to earn their place, it doesn’t matter who you are. Im as excited as anyone to see him play but I think it would be incredibly harsh for Hamza to be relegated back to the under 23’s to make way for him. 

So if he starts on Sunday then, what's different? Been better in a weeks training than Mendy so he's in? He was brought in because we have a huge problem with breaking down teams at home, especially when we go behind. What on earth have Iheanacho and Okazaki done in your code of merit to earn places on the bench? I wouldn't give a flying fcuk if one of them was upset that Tielemans was straight on the bench at the expense of one of them. They shouldn't have been heinous all season then should they?

• Like 3