Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
urban fox

first city game

10 minutes ago, cambridgefox said:

I know you will remember this one.

cant remember my first home,but my first away was at Peterborough 1992?

cant remember much about the match apart from losing,but it was chaos.

Those streakers will stick in my mind forever,I was at the walled side and we had 8k there.

Never forget it, the streakers were fantastic - brightened up the day.

I was only 9 and remember Dad taking me out the ground on about 85 minutes as all the City fans starting to sing about storming the pitch.

Not sure whether it was the Play off semi final against Cambridge in the Kop 1992...

or when I seen us against Crystal Palace in the FA cup, or port vale in the league around the same time.

if anyone can be arsed to check dates for me ??

Edit: palace FA cup was 04/01/92 so that came before Cambridge on the 13th May 1992

port vale November 1991, remember we lost 0:1..

so that was my first game..

Edited by turkish14

Weirdly, I can’t remember much about my first game. I know we were sat in the Double Decker and it was freezing. I’d been to loads of family night football with my dad before and I remember the atmosphere being really different.

First proper game I can remember was Preston at the walkers the season we went up as runners up. I remember them having a flag they were passing around in the away end and I said to my dad they look confident. They won 2-1 I think. 

12 minutes ago, weller54 said:

I was at that match too with 3 friends.. Thick, muddy pitch and drizzly, murky day.. 

2-1.. I thought Best scored but I maybe wrong. 

Wonderful memories. 

certainly were.  Of course didn't appreciate the Man Utd side at the time as I was watching through blue tinted eyes. Never got the chance to see them again as we were relegated at the end of the season having lost the cup final to the other Manc lot. 

• Like 1

Strangely my first game was at Wembley. 1992 play-off final v Blackburn when I was 9. Heartbreaking. David ****ing Speedie. 

First game at Filbo was the season after (I think. Might have been the season after that actually) and we spanked Millwall 4-0. All the goals in the second half and Julian Joachim scored an absolute worldy. I remember it well because the new Carling Stand was up but with no seats in it.

10th November 1984 at home  lost 2-3 to Man Utd I dont  remember  huge amounts but the main 3 things I do remember are , Gary Baily’s Blonde locks , oh Gary Gary Gary , Gary Gary Gary Gary Lineker chant and getting Pelted with coins by the away fans every time we scored . 

Watford home 92...bit of a nothing game but to this day can remember the walk up the steps in the corner of the East stand, looked straight across and all I could really see was the lower tier of the main stand, made my way towards the front row of the East stand, looked to the left and tried my best to take play it cool at my first ever sight of the Kop/Double Decker.......life was never the same again! 

15 minutes ago, turkish14 said:

Not sure whether it was the Play off semi final against Peterborough, in the Kop 1992...

or when I seen us against Crystal Palace in the FA cup, or port vale in the league around the same time.

if anyone can be arsed to check dates for me ??

Edit: palace FA cup was 04/01/92 so that came before posh.. 

port vale November 1991, remember we lost 0:1..

so that was my first game..

92 play off semi was Cambridge...what a night! 

• Like 1

This was the first game I ever went to live and it took some years to be beaten! At the time I wasn't yet a fan of the club, I went with my uncle who was because I was desperate to see a game of football, any game. But I immediately fell in love with the team and the supporters. Dennis Bergkamp gave one of the finest ever individual displays I've seen in person but sheer team spirit and force of will got Leicester a deserved point. The atmosphere at Filbert Street was incredible, my view was right up close to the action and the thing that really made me love the team was the team ethic that Martin O'Neil had instilled. Arsenal had the class players but had spent money to do so, Leicester were the plucky underdog that dared to dream. Funny how years later, those same qualities created the greatest story ever. This game literally gave me inner belief as a kid, it showed me that even when things are going against you and no matter how hard it may seem, if you work hard enough and apply yourself, you can be anyone's equal.

These days when fans are booing our own team and arguing among themselves, I wished they could remember games like this. This was a game where everyone was together as one - players, manager and fans. As a fan of Leicester the team work ethic is the most important value to me. I can accept losing, I can tolerate to some degree dull football, but I want to see the team I support have a go, and not come off the pitch unless they are sweating like mad! Walsh, Elliott, Lennon, Izzet, Savage (pre-bellend era), Taggart, Keller, Kamark, Guppy were amazing for the spirit they showed every week.

I feel blessed to have seen two great teams in my lifetime so far. MON's fantastic late 90's side and Pearson / Ranieri's living legends. I'm hoping that the next generation can live up to the billing :scarf:

Edited by StriderHiryu
  • Like 2

Just now, Paddy. said:

Strangely my first game was at Wembley. 1992 play-off final v Blackburn when I was 9. Heartbreaking. David ****ing Speedie. 

First game at Filbo was the season after (I think. Might have been the season after that actually) and we spanked Millwall 4-0. All the goals in the second half and Julian Joachim scored an absolute worldy. I remember it well because the new Carling Stand was up but with no seats in it.

I was at both of those.  The atmosphere both before the game and in the stadium for the play off final was one of the best I have ever experienced.  The Millwall game was one of the last I went to for a long time as my daughter had just started walking and I had started a new job which involved a lot of time away from home so my Saturday afternoon  outings were seriously curtailed.  I did mange to get tickets for the following season play off against Swindon and finally paid back my dad for all the times he took me and my mate (who's dad did not like football) to games as a youngster by taking him along.  A great game but a disappointing result.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, MattP said:

Never forget it, the streakers were fantastic - brightened up the day.

I was only 9 and remember Dad taking me out the ground on about 85 minutes as all the City fans starting to sing about storming the pitch.

Think the Police Horses beat them to it!

can remember the Leicester fans going on the rampage and just walking over cars in the car park where my car was.

Had a Citroen  AX GT my pride and joy at the time and all I was thinking was it had a garage sticker that was in Cambridgeshire and it would get trashed.

i had been to a home game against Cambridge once and although supported Leicester,got back to my car and I’ve never seen so much gob on it!

Sept 1978 league division 2 

Leicester City 4 Brighton 1 think Weller scored at least 1.

before that I'd been to a few Wigston Fields games in the Leicestershire senior league. Apparently was very close to being a Man Utd fan, I vaguely remember my primary school being split between who people wanted to win the 1977 Cup Final man united or Liverpool. 

40 years! 

4 minutes ago, StriderHiryu said:

This was the first game I ever went to live and it took some years to be beaten! At the time I wasn't yet a fan of the club, I went with my uncle who was because I was desperate to see a game of football, any game. But I immediately fell in love with the team and the supporters. Dennis Bergkamp gave one of the finest ever individual displays I've seen in person but sheer team spirit and force of will got Leicester a deserved point. The atmosphere at Filbert Street was incredible, my view was right up close to the action and the thing that really made me love the team was the team ethic that Martin O'Neil had instilled. Arsenal had the class players but had spent money to do so, Leicester were the plucky underdog that dared to dream. Funny how years later, those same qualities created the greatest story ever. This game literally gave me inner belief as a kid, it showed me that even when things are going against you and no matter how hard it may seem, if you work hard enough and apply yourself, you can be anyone's equal.

These days when fans are booing our own team and arguing among themselves, I wished they could remember games like this. This was a game where everyone was together as one - players, manager and fans. As a fan of Leicester the team work ethic is the most important value to me. I can accept losing, I can tolerate to some degree dull football, but I want to see the team I support have a go, and not come off the pitch unless they are sweating like mad! Walsh, Elliott, Lennon, Izzet, Savage (pre-bellend era), Taggart, Keller, Kamark, Guppy were amazing for the spirit they showed every week.

I feel blessed to have seen two great teams in my lifetime so far. MON's fantastic late 90's side and Pearson / Ranieri's living legends. I'm hoping that the next generation can live up to the billing :scarf:

What a start. Still the best game I've seen at Leicester.

• Like 2