Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
urban fox

first city game

Mine was West Brom at home. Can’t remember the score or much of the game just rememeber we lost ? looking at results online must have been 2-1 in 1996  ?remember wanting to go every game after. Been lucky enough to go and see us at Wembley twice 1 win one loss. Took the  kids to their first games last season both 1-1 draws both have not asked to go back ? 

11 minutes ago, whetstonefox said:

Sept 1978 league division 2 

Leicester City 4 Brighton 1 think Weller scored at least 1.

before that I'd been to a few Wigston Fields games in the Leicestershire senior league. Apparently was very close to being a Man Utd fan, I vaguely remember my primary school being split between who people wanted to win the 1977 Cup Final man united or Liverpool. 

40 years! 

I think Trevor Christie got 2 that day our first win under Jock Wallace in Old Div 2; we were more or less in the relegation zone then. 

my first game remarkably was a 5-0 home win v Ipswich in 1974 and it was played on a Saturday evening at 7:30; that was a first too. Frankie  Wortho got a hat trick I think with a couple of penalties and Joe Waters (him of the FA Cup QF win at QPR that year) also played. I suspect the Birch played too. Great days! 

Weirdly, I can’t remember much about my first game. I know we were sat in the Double Decker and it was freezing. I’d been to loads of family night football with my dad before and I remember the atmosphere being really different.

First proper game I can remember was Preston at the walkers the season we went up as runners up. I remember them having a flag they were passing around in the away end and I said to my dad they look confident. They won 2-1 I think. 

Great thread by the way :thumbup: some great stories in here. There is genuinely nothing better on this earth than going the match to watch your home town team 

just confirmed by my dad (no idea why I’ve not asked him before) - Derby, 23rd Feb 2002. 

Edited by Manini

12 minutes ago, Md9 said:

Mine was West Brom at home. Can’t remember the score or much of the game just rememeber we lost ? looking at results online must have been 2-1 in 1996  ?remember wanting to go every game after. Been lucky enough to go and see us at Wembley twice 1 win one loss. Took the  kids to their first games last season both 1-1 draws both have not asked to go back ? 

That was my first evening game. Sneekes scored a goal that stuck in the stanchion. 

August 1966, 5-4 win against West Ham. Just after winning the World Cup, there was Banks, Moore, Hurst and Peters on the pitch. My dad took me up to what seemed as a child the huge climb up to the Double Decker.  Lovely old planks for seats. Bloomin marvellous! 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

My first game was v Watford 1969 standing in the old wing stand at Filbert street. Think we won 3-0 or 3- 1. Just remember my then favourite player Lenny Glover scoring. I think it must have been old div. 2. Still got the programme(got it signed by Alan Woolett).  Went with my Gran as she was originally from Watford and a staunch Hornet. 

Edited by CyprusFox

Can't remember but believe it was Oldham at home in the 90/91 season.

First match I remember is the survival match against Oxford and the pitch invasion after. Was hooked from that moment on.

My dad couldn't take me as regularly the following season but we used to go down and stand outside the stand that preceded the Carling Stand and they used to let us in for the last 20 minutes of games. Bizarre thinking about it now but used to love it.

I now keep a log of all the matches my 8 year old has been to. 

Edited by pds

I'm sure I managed to get my Dad to drag me to one football match at Filbert street back in the late 80's before I started going to Humphrey Perkins - but I can't remember who it was against or when it was, and haven't a clue what happened to the match-day programme in order to find out. :(  (I'm missing quite a lot of my old stuff from back then.)

I'm afraid my Dad dragged me to the rugby more often at Welford road, instead and I remember that a bit more clearly - (I've always had somewhat split loyalties I'm afraid :P ). (Why not both?)  So the only match I really remember is the visit to Arsenal at the beginning of last season where we lost (of course) :(  (And someone asking me who Keller was! Lol.  I hope they'll know who Schmeichel is, next time! :D  We'll try and make it to the next Arsenal vs LCFC match, to make up for missing the last one.  Hope we get better seats too - maybe I should bring some binoculars, next time, just to be sure? :P)

10 hours ago, Aus Fox said:

1990 first game of the season, a fresh faced youngster inspired by the joy of Italia 90 that summer.

Bristol Rovers were the visitors to Filbert Street that day.

My old man took me into the Kop and the noise was unreal, we won 3-2 that day and ive been hooked ever since.

Yes I remember that Tommy Wright had a blinder that day and hopes were high of a promotion push - I think that was the second greatest escape year in the end!