Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Suffolk exile

Gordon Banks RIP

11 minutes ago, Lionheart10 said:

RIP Gordon, sadly another of the boys of 66 gone.

These legends still around I think? 

George Cohen 

Jack Charlton 

Bobby Charlton 

Nobby Stiles 

Geoff Hurst 

Martin Peters 

Roger Hunt 

Lost.. 

Bobby Moore 

Ray Wilson 

Alan Ball 

Gordon Banks 

Criminal that Banksie never got a knighthood and how desperately sad he had to sell his World Cup winners medal to make ends meet. 

O how times have changed.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I watched GB many times at Filbert Street but my favourite memory was at Anfield: the first game of the 1966/67 season, weeks after the World Cup Final. I was 20 and travelled to Liverpool with two school pals I met in Brucianni's the previous day. As Gordon ran towards the Kop to take up his position for kick-off he received an enormous ovation from the Liverpool fans which he acknowledged with a modest gesture of his arm. For us Leicester lads standing in the crowd it was an emotional moment. (Alas, despite a couple from Derek Dougan, we went down 3-2).

• Like 3

26 minutes ago, weller54 said:

These legends still around I think? 

George Cohen 

Jack Charlton 

Bobby Charlton 

Nobby Stiles 

Geoff Hurst 

Martin Peters 

Roger Hunt 

Lost.. 

Bobby Moore 

Ray Wilson 

Alan Ball 

Gordon Banks 

Criminal that Banksie never got a knighthood and how desperately sad he had to sell his World Cup winners medal to make ends meet. 

O how times have changed.

I seem to remember a recent TV documentary where Nobby Stiles son said he is in an old folks home suffering with dementia but not 100% on that.

2 hours ago, davieG said:

In case anyone missed this

Fantastic article. being the gent he was he didn't actually say that he thought he had been nobbled in Mexico but I think the inference is there (I was the only one).  There were all sorts of dirty tricks going on at that world cup. They tried to fit Bobby Moore up on a ridiculous theft charge (why would the captain of the England world cup team even want to steal a necklace) and then the food poisoning incident.

• Like 1

Our World Cup winner and a true gentleman. In him and Shilton, our club were blessed with two of the best ever England keepers.

No doubting that Gordon was probably the greatest of all time, though. A man who deserves to be called a Legend. RIP.

726dbdb8e58547c54e7fcef8d2a403f3.jpg

Edited by Robin JD Popley
  • Like 4

51 minutes ago, Gordon the Great said:

Not a day to be bitter or twisted but it has always amazed me how Stoke jumped on the bandwagon and treated him as if he was one of their own, I am all for honouring this man ,the Greatest goalkeeper of his, or any other era and appreciate accolades from any club or individual.......but the facts will always remain, SIR Gordon played more games for City than he did for Stoke, He played more times for England as a City player than he did for Stoke, He won the World Cup as a City player and won more trophies playing for City than he did for Stoke.......all in all a LEICESTER CITY Legend...........appropriated Glory is always distasteful.....Rest in Peace...SIR Gordon ........ from a 64 year old little boy for whom you are still and always will be the all time Idol.

I agree completely,

my comment isn’t said with any malice nor bitter or twisted,

just felt he was better connected to us than stoke

• Like 2

The fact that despite never seeing him play (other than on TV) I have always had such pride that he was a part of our club says it all. Until the title season, when abroad I'd talk about the club and if met by uncertain looks would go "Lineker...Banks....Shilton" and that was enough for them to make the connection.

Obviously it wasn't the KP where he played but beyond a minutes respect it would be fitting to have some momento of his placed in the goal for the Palace Match be it a trinket, medal, gloves, cap, so he's with us in some way, where he belongs guarding our net one last time. 

Edited by fazzyfox
  • Like 2

I'm struggling to think of a better keeper, and there is really only Yashin who has a good case. The only decent attempt to rank them I could find went Yashin, Banks, Zoff, then Sepp Maier of Germany, followed by Zamora (who kept for Spain in the 20' and 30's). Out of interest, Shilton came 8th.

Without question one of the greatest keepers who ever lived, I wonder if his influence in bringing Shilton through is fully recognised. Banks was known for his dedication and thoroughness in training, and Shilton had the greatest role model an aspiring keeper could ask for.

I've seen mentioned that he started down the mines before football gave him a route out. It is perhaps interesting to compare his development with that of Shilton, who got great money at an age when Gordon was still filling coal sacks. How times change.

Our greatest keeper, rest in peace.

5 hours ago, hackenbacker said:

My Dad's seen him  play quite a few times but Banks was before my time ..although back in the early 70s playing for Stoke they did a tour of Australia and played a game at Hindmarsh Stadium in Adelaide. My Dad went to watch and so did I but I was only 1 year old at the time.

RIP Gordon Banks!!

I was at that game in Adelaide, We climbed the floodlight pylon to watch the match. My only real memory of the great man live.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Spudulike said:

Well done Sheffield. So what will our council be doing to create a lasting tribute to Our Gordon, Leicester City World Cup winner ??

:mad:

Knowing mr soulsby he will probally build a cycle lane for him. 

Wouldn't it be a nice tribute to have something on filbert st/old ground. Or maybe name a stand after him.

• Like 1