Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Suffolk exile

Gordon Banks RIP

16 minutes ago, TonyN11 said:

A proper goalkeeper.

Never saw him play live for Leicester, but we were always a selling club until recently.

RIP Gordon

We also had the best young keeper in the country coming through....

It was really a footballing decision & in hindsight 100% the correct one, though I was gutted at the time.

To be fair to Gordon, he knew the score, and always regarded his time at Leicester with great affection.

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Spudulike said:

This picture is special to me. 'Our' Gordon welcomed home in Town Hall Square in '66. Special to me as I'm the 7-year old kid on my Dad's shoulders in the background.

RIP Sugar.

Banks.jpg

I Was an 11 yr old kid sandwiched in somewhere towards the front.  Don't see myself on this, but I remember it vividly. Especially his modesty. Hard to imagine that diffidence almost, being displayed in similar scenes today.

• Like 4

I also remember one of the most one sidedly biased Leicester commentaries I can remember when we played Atletico Madrid in the UEFA Cup in 1997.

Something along the line of 'they left the back door open there and long may it continue' from Gordon after Marshalls goal.

He also seemed genuinely thrilled when interviewed on the run in to our Premier League win in 2016 - They were making a comparison with the Ice Kings of 1963.

He still sounded genuinely Leicester through and through to me

A true hero of the game and we should be honoured to have had such a wonderful player and man play for our club.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, Stoopid said:

We also had the best young keeper in the country coming through....

It was really a footballing decision & in hindsight 100% the correct one, though I was gutted at the time.

To be fair to Gordon, he knew the score, and always regarded his time at Leicester with great affection.

It does sound like there was a touch of resentment about how it ended at Leicester though. Although I'm sure it wasn't a case of not being "wanted" by the club. They just had to make a tough decision between 2 top keepers and went with the younger man.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/42268937

"I was about 28, I was at my peak and Leicester had put me up for sale. I honestly could not get away fast enough and play for a club that wanted me. So I signed for Stoke."

6 minutes ago, SouthStandUpperTier said:

It does sound like there was a touch of resentment about how it ended at Leicester though. Although I'm sure it wasn't a case of not being "wanted" by the club. They just had to make a tough decision between 2 top keepers and went with the younger man.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/42268937

"I was about 28, I was at my peak and Leicester had put me up for sale. I honestly could not get away fast enough and play for a club that wanted me. So I signed for Stoke."

Yeah - I'm sure it fekked him off at the time: he was a World Cup winner after all. 

Bur he knew Shilton's potential, and he'd been round the game long enough to know Leicester didn't really have a choice.

In the long run I think he accommodated himself to it and certainly seemed to retain a real affection for the club.

1 minute ago, Stoopid said:

Yeah - I'm sure it fekked him off at the time: he was a World Cup winner after all. 

Bur he knew Shilton's potential, and he'd been round the game long enough to know Leicester didn't really have a choice.

In the long run I think he accommodated himself to it and certainly seemed to retain a real affection for the club.

Agree. He was too nice a guy to hold grudges, especially with the club, the fans and the city itself. Bridges must have been mended because I remember going to his testimonial at Filbo in the mid nineties. The club also made him an Honorary President if I'm not mistaken and also named a suite after him.

• Like 1

Without doubt he was a great mentor to all goalkeepers, myself included, of that era both nationally and locally even down to local grassroots football. He will be missed immensely and all connected with Leicester City can be truly proud of his wonderful achievements. A life well lived.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Spudulike said:

Wouldn't hold your breath on that one. He promised something in 2016 but it never happened.

This is the one to make the perfect statue.... passing on from the old to the new.

banks_shilton.jpg

I have that very picture hanging on the wall in my office, absolutely wonderful. A changing of the guard, the passing from the old to the new. A true legend.

• Like 3

My Dad's seen him  play quite a few times but Banks was before my time ..although back in the early 70s playing for Stoke they did a tour of Australia and played a game at Hindmarsh Stadium in Adelaide. My Dad went to watch and so did I but I was only 1 year old at the time.

RIP Gordon Banks!!

I’m a missing something about this stoke-banks thing,

i know they won there only trophy with him in goal,

but didn’t he play less games for them than us,

hes not even from stoke

I’ve always regarded his connection with us as more significant,

seing as he was our keeper when he won the World Cup and also won a league cup in his time here,

anyway,

rip gordon banks 

• Like 1