Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Suffolk exile

Gordon Banks RIP

52 minutes ago, Carl the Llama said:

Rip.  It's a sad day for football, lots of people out there have just lost a childhood hero. :(

As a kid when we were in the doldrums of the Championship between 2004 and 2008 he was one of the few things I was proud of about the club. Rest in peace Gordon Banks.

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, dmayne7 said:

Thoughts to his friends and family. He used to be one of the few landmarks I could use when talking about Leicester; arguably the greatest keeper that ever lived (probably behind Yashin)

Gordon was never behind anybody.....Quite simply the GREATEST goalkeeper the world has ever, or will ever see.....

• Like 1

He was my all time hero.  It wasn't just his brilliant saves, but the confidence he gave to the defenders in front of him, who knew that there was always someone behind them who could produce a bit of magic.  And it was his reading of the game that was remarkable.  The Pele save was special because as the ball came over he guessed what that genius could do and his hand was there to keep it out.  One particular save I remember was against Everton when the goal had been under pressure for some time and this shot came in very hard along the ground but close to him.  He just bent down, picked it up and threw it out to a Leicester player on the wing who started an attack. 

Thankyou, Gordon, for so many happy memories.

Edited by ChrisJager

Sad sad news. What a man he was.  

I had the honour of meeting the great man as a kid in the early 80's.

They say never meet your heroes but Gordon completely broke that rule. He was an absolute gentleman to an over enthusiastic kid firing question after question at him.

We really need to get a statue of the great man - Really erks me that Stoke have a statue and a road named after him and we have nothing. 

Over used but totally true that he is an absolute Legend.

RIP Gordon. Condolences to his friends and family.

• Like 2

Guest Markyblue
7 minutes ago, sylofox said:

RIP. The greatest keeper ever. 

Not been a happy season for us. The sooner its over the better. 

Amen to that friend. 

Gordon Banks was our goalie when I first went to Filbert St. 

At first I was unimpressed, as he wasn't one to throw himself around, until my Dad ( who'd played in goal as a pro) pointed out that because of his uncanny anticipation he didn't need to.

Unflappable & at times seemingly unbeatable.

Remember the crowd in Town Hall Sq to greet him for a civic reception after the World Cup victory.

When Matt Gillies sold him to Stoke it was a sad day for me & many others. To Stoke, of all places. But at least they had the decency to display his statue, when we'd dithered and dallied. Not our finest hour.

Part of that great team with Len Chalmers, Ian King & Ritchie Norman in front of him.

Thanks for the memories, Gordon.

An English hero.

RIP

• Like 4