Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
oadby.fox

Pep apologises to Mahrez

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/47257369

Meanwhile, Guardiola has apologised to £60m signing Riyad Mahrez for not giving the forward enough minutes this season.

The 27-year-old Algerian, who signed from Leicester in the summer, has not started a Premier League game since the victory at Southampton on 30 December.

"I am the reason. He is absolutely not guilty," said Guardiola. "I am sad because he is training incredibly. He is an incredibly talented player but in this moment we have five strikers.

"We have incredible players, like for example Bernardo (Silva) and Raz (Sterling) in top, top form and that is the only reason why. There's no particular reason, like being upset or something like that.

"He is a guy we are happy with but unfortunately I am not kind with him. In fact, I cannot give him the minutes he deserves, so I'm sorry. That's all I can say."

Mahrez has had to make do with substitute appearances in the league and cup starts against Rotherham, Burton and Burnley in recent weeks.

But Guardiola says Mahrez's "time is coming" and "I'm pretty sure he is going to play good".

"I am unfair in the fact that, if he had played the minutes that the others have played, he would have been in the top level like the players who are playing," he added.

"It's not easy for one guy who does not play regularly to come in and play at a high, high level. Give him five or six games in a row playing and he is going to play at the level of Sterling or Bernardo, or the players who play.

"I don't have any doubts about his quality. Just keep going, not complain too much, move forward and fight more and more.

So what do you guys think? Will Mahrez eventually get more game time after a season or so of being bedded in (like Bernardo Silva) or will he fall out of favour and form? He was always nailed on for a starting spot here so it'll be interesting to see how he deals with being out the side for extended periods of time and whether he'll be able to come back into the side and always make an instant impact. I ultimately wish him well because of what he helped us achieve but the way he agitated for a move did leave a bitter taste. I suppose that a part of me wouldn't mind seeing him fail at Man City, if not only to send a message to our other rising stars that the grass isn't always greener...

30 minutes ago, oadby.fox said:

"It's not easy for one guy who does not play regularly to come in and play at a high, high level. Give him five or six games in a row playing

Some of our fans need to consider this when writing off some of our players after one or two irregular selections.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, FoxyPalace.com said:

Mahrez you left a club where you played every week, adored by most fans and paid like a king.

Do the math Riyad.

Not entirely sure that he's going to be reading this thread or your post anytime soon. 

• Haha 2

43 minutes ago, Fox92 said:

Don't go around buying other clubs' best players then. They didn't "need" him did they. 

People talk about Salary Caps and draft systems.... the first thing that needs to be done (and something that doesnt damages the game unlike the other things mentioned) is to limit the squad sizes. Clubs like Man City, Chelsea etc have dozens of players in the squad + dozens more on loan.

Its a simple fix... i dunno, maximum 36 man squad

• Like 2

He absolutely loves scoring in stoppage time when the games already won doesn't he. I swear he does it every other week.

He doesn't play because he lacks the consistency that some of the other players there have. It frustrated us so it's not going to wash at Man City. He was always going to be a bit part player there and I assume he was prepared for that.

13 hours ago, Kitchandro said:

He absolutely loves scoring in stoppage time when the games already won doesn't he. I swear he does it every other week.

He doesn't play because he lacks the consistency that some of the other players there have. It frustrated us so it's not going to wash at Man City. He was always going to be a bit part player there and I assume he was prepared for that.

Nice to be able to agree with you for a change.

Our fans think he was a king because he had incredible skills, they seem to ignore the fact that he only showed these skills for a few minutes maximum in a game, sometimes not at all. This isn't good enough for a top European playing team.

50 minutes ago, FIF said:

Our fans think he was a king because he had incredible skills, they seem to ignore the fact that he only showed these skills for a few minutes maximum in a game, sometimes not at all. This isn't good enough for a top European playing team.

Riyad could win a game for us out of nothing or create something special out of nothing, it's something we lack now. Without doubt he's the most skilfull Leicester City player I've ever seen, but like I've always said, if you offered me one player to come back that I saw play it'd be Izzet, without a doubt, because of his all round game and consistency. I used to say when Riyad was here that a top club wouldn't come for him because of his consistency, which was wrong because Manchester City did come for him but his inconsistency is probably what keeps him out of the side and away from a bigger club than Manchester City. Pep was right though when he said it's tough to expect a player to come to a club and up his game without playing regular (some of our fans should note this).

I'll always love Riyad though. 

56 minutes ago, FIF said:

Yeah but that few minutes of skills won us many points. I think city bought him just  becside they can bit like Chelsea buy players so other top teams cannot have them

10 minutes ago, tylesta said:

Yeah but that few minutes of skills won us many points. I think city bought him just  becside they can bit like Chelsea buy players so other top teams cannot have them

I don't think there's any conspiracy like that – I think they bought him because he's bloody good.

• Like 2

23 hours ago, Fox92 said:

Don't go around buying other clubs' best players then. They didn't "need" him did they. 

This.

Man Utd, Chelsea, the 'big' teams as a whole have always done it but it feels like Man City are taking it to another level, it seems like they're buying players simply so other teams don't have them.

Of course you can't blame him/players for wanting to prove himself at a better level, play for one of the 'best' (:unsure:) managers in the world, the money e.t.c but it's about time players started weighing up the situations and ultimately questioning do they want to play regular/are they going to play regular.

2 hours ago, tylesta said:

Not as many as people make out.

Still Wes Morgan's blocks have done the same but he's just a shit, old CB.

On 17/02/2019 at 17:53, Samilktray said:

The sky is blue, grass is green and Fif is still boring us all to death with his weird, unhealthy vendetta against Mahrez. 

Sad to tell you but the sky isn't blue - it's transparent. Your eye is fooled during the day.

Apparently the grass isn't as green in Leicester as in Manchester where the grass is  greener according to Mahrez.

And I have no blood feud or bitter quarrel with Mahrez. I just have a different view to you - maybe your eye was fooled there as it is with the colour of the sky.

Sounds to me like pep is saying shutup, accept your huge wage and deal with it until we call your number. Its the big club way.

If mahrez thought he would be a starter when he left then he is thick. I suspect he knew his game time would  drop (just not this badly). Is what it is. Im sure the £ helps.

Its an unfortunate waste of talent and sad that big clubs do this often. It takes competition away from the rest of the prem league and ensures only the top clubs really compete for the title.

On the other hand if you are wanting to maximize your profit while fit i cant blame him. With footy, you are always one injury away from no career or a low paying one in league two before it ultimately fails.

Limiting squad sizes, introducing hard salary caps would stop this type of player movement across the football league in general. It would make the league more competitive for all fans. I suspect the media companies wouldnt like it this way but they can do one. Thing is if other countries dont follow suit then it would lead to footy drain to the continent.

9 minutes ago, Finnegan said:

Bernardo Silva barely got a kick last year, Leroy Sane couldn't get near the pitch start of this. Every season there's some drama about how Aguero isn't getting picked because Jesus is starting. Pep has always had lengthy periods of rotation, it doesn't matter how good you are. Mahrez was their best player a couple months ago, regularly starting and doing well. 

It's a complete non story, the press just need to have something to write about. 

People only care on here because there's a bitter minority that are desperate for anyone who leaves the club to fail. 

The people that rejoice in Drinkwater and Mahrez not playing are ****ing weird. 

I think the opinions of football fans on footballers moving, their reasons for moving and their success/failure at their next club should be completely discounted, on the most part.

Many are so biased, so predetermined with their blind loyalty to the football club that they can't see a footballer's career is short and they want to not only earn the maximum amount of money possible, but achieve the most they can at the biggest possible club.

We can all (myself included) scoff at the likes of Jack Rodwell's move to Man City all those years ago. We all knew it wasn't going to work out, but I bet Rodwell had ambition, drive, determination and a belief in his own abilities to succeed. That, coupled with the hike in his annual take-home pay and an elevated chance to win trophies means he was always going to move.

Maybe it's the pang of missing them. I've had wry smiles thinking that they're not tearing it up at their clubs, but then that's because my memories of them are so fond of them it's an immature fleeting thought. 

Sure, both players could have handled their moves slightly better for the public eye, but we were never going to really stop them from moving, were we, unless we kicked the ambition and desire to succeed at the highest level out of them to have them stay here, and what would that have achieved long-term?

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Footballwipe said:

I think the opinions of football fans on footballers moving, their reasons for moving and their success/failure at their next club should be completely discounted, on the most part.

Many are so biased, so predetermined with their blind loyalty to the football club that they can't see a footballer's career is short and they want to not only earn the maximum amount of money possible, but achieve the most they can at the biggest possible club.

We can all (myself included) scoff at the likes of Jack Rodwell's move to Man City all those years ago. We all knew it wasn't going to work out, but I bet Rodwell had ambition, drive, determination and a belief in his own abilities to succeed. That, coupled with the hike in his annual take-home pay and an elevated chance to win trophies means he was always going to move.

Maybe it's the pang of missing them. I've had wry smiles thinking that they're not tearing it up at their clubs, but then that's because my memories of them are so fond of them it's an immature fleeting thought. 

Sure, both players could have handled their moves slightly better for the public eye, but we were never going to really stop them from moving, were we, unless we kicked the ambition and desire to succeed at the highest level out of them to have them stay here, and what would that have achieved long-term?

Football fans do not exist to think about what is best for the player, just what is best for themselves and the club they support.

Some fans get far too attached to players.

45 minutes ago, Finnegan said:

Bernardo Silva barely got a kick last year, Leroy Sane couldn't get near the pitch start of this. Every season there's some drama about how Aguero isn't getting picked because Jesus is starting. Pep has always had lengthy periods of rotation, it doesn't matter how good you are. Mahrez was their best player a couple months ago, regularly starting and doing well. 

It's a complete non story, the press just need to have something to write about. 

People only care on here because there's a bitter minority that are desperate for anyone who leaves the club to fail. 

More like Danny Benchwarmer and Riyad Neverstartsrez #grassisntgreener

Think they take it as a personal affront whenever any player has the sheer nerve to leave and try to better themselves, as though moving to a bigger club to earn a higher wage playing under a better manager with better players and a greater chance of winning trophies is some inexplicable act of betrayal rather than common sense.

• Like 2

51 minutes ago, Finnegan said:

Only the 53 appearances.

• Haha 1