Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
fox in notts

Fans leaving early

10 hours ago, Stoopid said:

Appreciate people are free to do what they want and all that, and the demographic has changed massively in recent years, leading to an older, better-heeled farther-flung fanbase whose priorities are different to what they might have been formerly, but it's getting bad when even the manager mentions it - and I can't help feeling that it dilutes the connection to the team if they're leaving the field (after another win!) to swathes of empty blue seats 

Right or wrong, it makes us look small-time.

The manager didn’t just bring it up, someone asked if he had a message for fans who left early and missed a late goal. Probably some melt like Stringer, he wasn’t sat itching to say something about it.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, Finnaldo said:

I remember Rob Kelly, the Mandaric era, League One all having arguably better atmospheres than of recent. The Boro game in January 2013 when less than 10,000 made it in had an unbelievable atmosphere under the circumstance, probably because everyone in attendance knew they had a role to play that day. 

It really seems we peaked in our title win and just can’t be arsed anymore. Pretty sad really.

In terms of leaving, I’ve always seen it in terms of the theatre. If droves started leaving midway through the last act, you’re not only depriving yourself of the conclusion and any possible twist, it would be considered massively rude by both the rest of the audience trying to watch the show as you bumble out but also totally disrepectful to the actors and staff on the show.

In football where there’s real repercussions for winning and losing and massive spotlight and proper pressure on the players, it must be disheartening to watch people leave 5 minutes before full time as you’re chasing a win or trying to see out a win in a tough game.

I know, the atmosphere we had then was amazing and I don’t seem to remember many leaving early, I think our fans have become complacent tbh

those that leave early and that don’t contribute to the atmosphere in general might want to consider that our support back then was one of the best in the country at home and definitely played a huge part in us winning the league. 

Success on the pitch and good support on the terraces go hand in hand. Leaving early and having your only vocal contribution to any game being groans if we give the ball away (90% of our fans based on today’s game) is not good enough and isn’t conducive to success and making us not seem tinpot to players who may have the opportunity to move elsewhere in the summer.

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, Babylon said:

You presume it’s always the same people doing the same things. I rarely leave early, but if I do it’s for a reason

I wasn’t even going last night, had two awful weeks, massive life decisions being made on top of having a sick kid and what feels like about 12 hours kip in a fortnight. I gave my ticket away, in the end the person didn’t want it and I changed my mind and drove to the ground last minute and sat there feeling like shite for the best part of two hours.

Decided that all things considered and being parked at the back of saffron lane stadium car park i’d leave 30 seconds before the whistle went as it makes literally about 40-60 minutes difference just getting back to Wigston. Only to be met with some smart arse c*** saying “Branden says fans stay to the end”.

Just let people decide what the **** is best for their own lives. 

Wow calm down pal, I don’t think anyone here is targeting you personally, more the established culture of leaving early no matter what

Edited by WhatTheSchlupp?
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, WhatTheSchlupp? said:

Wow calm down pal, I don’t think anyone here is targeting you personally, more the established culture of leaving early no matter what

The point I’m making is that it’s not always the same people and making smart arsed comments about people and saying they shouldn’t be coming down if they can’t stay to the end is presumptuous bollocks.

Certain comments on here acting like things can’t be THAT important. Well I can speak first hand this week that well yeah they can be. This week it’s me, other weeks it’ll be someone else.

I sit near people who drive up from London to every game. That’s some ****ing hard core shit, yet apparently they shouldn’t bother going because on a week night they’d prefer to sneak off a tad early, so they aren’t crawling into bed at 1am and getting up at 6!

• Like 1

Simple fact is Leicester appears those “most time spent in traffic jams” charts every year. 

Single lane roads leaving the area, inadequate parking, woeful public transport system for a major city. And a mayor who wants to bus lane and pedestrianise the city, means people wanting to leave early.

When I used to catch the bus there had been times I’d still be stood there waiting at nearly 10.50 for a bus. Got to the point it was quicker to walk 5 miles than it was to use the cities public transport.

2 hours ago, Babylon said:

You presume it’s always the same people doing the same things. I rarely leave early, but if I do it’s for a reason

I wasn’t even going last night, had two awful weeks, massive life decisions being made on top of having a sick kid and what feels like about 12 hours kip in a fortnight. I gave my ticket away, in the end the person didn’t want it and I changed my mind and drove to the ground last minute and sat there feeling like shite for the best part of two hours.

Decided that all things considered and being parked at the back of saffron lane stadium car park i’d leave 30 seconds before the whistle went as it makes literally about 40-60 minutes difference just getting back to Wigston. Only to be met with some smart arse c*** saying “Branden says fans stay to the end”.

I’m sorry to hear about your last 2 weeks - I hope everything turns out well and very soon.

My conclusion about the increasing frequency of the majority of early leavers ( you excluded) is as some have already said, it’s sadly part of  British cultural ( European?) thinking nowadays. 

Anyway, enough said on all sides. All the best. 

3 hours ago, old koppite said:

I’m sorry to hear about your last 2 weeks - I hope everything turns out well and very soon.

My conclusion about the increasing frequency of the majority of early leavers ( you excluded) is as some have already said, it’s sadly part of  British cultural ( European?) thinking nowadays. 

Anyway, enough said on all sides. All the best. 

There are a million reasons, some personal, some cultural. Some nobody can do anything about because we live in a city that has a woeful transport system and because we have a large number of older fans who don't like being bumped about in crowds, or many young fans who have school in the morning. 

Small wins though, if the club want to make a difference try turning off the screens under the stands 10 minutes from the end. I went on 94 minutes and there must have been 500 people stood under the stand watching the game. These are people that didn't want to miss anything, so perhaps not giving them that option would keep many more in their seats before the end. 

• Like 3

6 hours ago, Babylon said:

Sorry Babs, but it literally doesn't.

Until the last few years I lived in Wigston and I've never left early and the longest it's ever taken me to get home is probably 40-45 mins, so no way does it make 40-60 mins difference.

You should go into politics :P

Edited by Trav Le Bleu
  • Like 1

16 hours ago, squarez said:

Give over with the "families to go to" crap. They're not going to miss you for an extra 20 minutes if you've been gone for over three hours.

lol weird that you've completely skipped over the bit about you being unemployed and drinking fox sh1t, something to hide?

1 minute ago, Babylon said:

Small wins though, if the club want to make a difference try turning off the screens under the stands 10 minutes from the end. I went on 94 minutes and there must have been 500 people stood under the stand watching the game. These are people that didn't want to miss anything, so perhaps not giving them that option would keep many more in their seats before the end. 

Good suggestion, if people are walking out to watch the game downstairs then turning it off in the final 10 mins may encourage them to stay longer in their seat. 

But I do sympathise for older fans wanting to get away to avoid the crowds. 

1 minute ago, Trav Le Bleu said:

Sorry Babs, but it literally doesn't.

Until the last few years I lived in Wigston and I've never left early and the longest it's ever taken me to get home is probably 40-45 mins, so no way does it make 40-60 mins difference.

You should go into politics :P

Do you sit where I sit? Do you park where I park? Do you have to drop people off?

I've said on here before I sit in quite possibly one of the worst seats for getting out of the ground. If I don't climb over seats to get out I'm probably in the last 500 people out and I'm Kop end. So once you're down the other end of the ground, you're literally behind 99.9% of the crowd. I then have to navigate the sports stadium car park, which is utter shite if you are on the back end. If I leave just 30 seconds early  I get straight out the ground, straight out the car park and I'm probably home in 20 minutes at most. If I don't it's a minimum of an hours trip. 

8 hours ago, Babylon said:

I'm sorry to hear what you're going through and fully understand there are extenuating circumstances and people with good reasons to leave early, especially on night games.

But look at the volume of people doing it, whatever the game situation, whatever the kick-off time. Droves of people flying down the stairs. There's a pattern that wasn't noticeable until recently, when the reality is the roads and rails have always been the same around Leicester post-match. It's not that people do it, it's the numbers involved that make it strange - especially given how well we're doing on the pitch at the minute.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Voll Blau said:

I'm sorry to hear what you're going through and fully understand there are extenuating circumstances and people with good reasons to leave early, especially on night games.

But look at the volume of people doing it, whatever the game situation, whatever the kick-off time. Droves of people flying down the stairs. There's a pattern that wasn't noticeable until recently, when the reality is the roads and rails have always been the same around Leicester post-match. It's not that people do it, it's the numbers involved that make it strange - especially given how well we're doing on the pitch at the minute.

Quite honestly I don't notice THAT much difference to whatever it's always been. Sunday games and midweek games will always see people leave early. It's far less likely to happen with Saturday games as people generally make more of a day of it. There are probably hundreds of reasons for it, as I said above. All the club can do is try to make little wins... keep a couple of bars open so people can stick about, try turning off the screens for the final 10 with them coming back on and showing stuff afterwards etc. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Babylon said:

Quite honestly I don't notice THAT much difference to whatever it's always been. Sunday games and midweek games will always see people leave early. It's far less likely to happen with Saturday games as people generally make more of a day of it. There are probably hundreds of reasons for it, as I said above. All the club can do is try to make little wins... keep a couple of bars open so people can stick about, try turning off the screens for the final 10 with them coming back on and showing stuff afterwards etc. 

Yep. Stuff like that and some forward-thinking transport initiatives (club encouraging car share schemes and buses from town/village pubs, reopening the railway line)  are desperately needed before any expansion.

• Like 2

Sadly for them if they legged it early, they have missed 2 goals at end of games now that won the matches!!!

Maybe we need some 65m bars!!:beer:

Spurs aren't setting the league pace but they are setting the fan experience pace!

http://new-stadium.tottenhamhotspur.com/season-tickets/our-feature-bars/home/

Edited by The boy Linacre
added a line
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Babylon said:

There are a million reasons, some personal, some cultural. Some nobody can do anything about because we live in a city that has a woeful transport system and because we have a large number of older fans who don't like being bumped about in crowds, or many young fans who have school in the morning. 

This is a great suggestion. There's always loads of people watching the screens downstairs. Switch them off! If you want to see the game, watch it from your seat. If not, then fine, but just bugger off home - not hang around in aisles or in the concourse!

6 minutes ago, stripeyfox said:

This is a great suggestion. There's always loads of people watching the screens downstairs. Switch them off! If you want to see the game, watch it from your seat. If not, then fine, but just bugger off home - not hang around in aisles or in the concourse!

I concur. 

1 hour ago, Voll Blau said:

Yep. Stuff like that and some forward-thinking transport initiatives (club encouraging car share schemes and buses from town/village pubs, reopening the railway line)  are desperately needed before any expansion.

Something has to be done about buses, especially for night and Sunday games. I walked past the bus stops on the way back to my car and they were already packed with people waiting. That's because their buses run at poor times and are so unreliable they have to try and get on the right side of the traffic to stand a chance of getting home at a reasonable time. Said it earlier, certain night kick off times meant it used to be quicker to walk home sometimes that wait for the bus, which is quite mental. 

1 hour ago, Voll Blau said:

The transport system in general in Leicestershie is diabolical compared to other places. Really doesn't help. I have to leave midweek matches early and tbh it plays a big part in the decision to not go at all. 

It is no myth about the congestion either Leicester either it is a torrid city for traffic.

Also piss off Stringer, easy to preach about staying to the end when you're being paid to do so.

Edited by Manwell Pablo

40 minutes ago, Manwell Pablo said:

Also piss off Stringer, easy to preach about staying to the end when you're being paid to do so.

Given he stays for probably over an hour after the match to do interviews and broadcast on Radio Leicester, he misses the worst of the traffic too.

There was a guy on the row in front of me who said about Rodgers: "He's gone down in my estimation," talking about his comments on people leaving early. He was really angry about it. It was quite an eye-opening listen and an (albeit singular) example of how the comments, far from inspiring people to stay, can get people's back up. Why he didn't just brush it off I've no idea. Apparently this guy has a 90 minute journey home and had to be up at 5am the next day. "It's alright him saying that on £3m a year."

My point isn't to support this guy, he was definitely overreacting, but that this "issue" that people have is not going to change 100%. It's more about reducing the issue, rather than resolving it. Bars open, more entertainment around the ground.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Footballwipe said:

There was a guy on the row in front of me who said about Rodgers: "He's gone down in my estimation," talking about his comments on people leaving early. He was really angry about it. It was quite an eye-opening listen and an (albeit singular) example of how the comments, far from inspiring people to stay, can get people's back up. Why he didn't just brush it off I've no idea. Apparently this guy has a 90 minute journey home and had to be up at 5am the next day. "It's alright him saying that on £3m a year."

My point isn't to support this guy, he was definitely overreacting, but that this "issue" that people have is not going to change 100%. It's more about reducing the issue, rather than resolving it. Bars open, more entertainment around the ground.

I have a fair distanced drive home but, for me, staying 'till the end is the least of my worries. It's not just an easy drive down, watch the game, then easy drive back home is it. What if there's an accident on the M1? What if there's a road closed? These situations could impact more than staying 'till the final whistle.

Just an example. I'm not slating the guy and always reiterated that people have their own reasons, as he clearly does, but there's so much more that could impact you.

Edited by Fox92