Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
The whole world smiles

Westley Nathan Morgan - Appreciation Thread

5 minutes ago, Aus Fox said:

Everyone who has played the game, below the absolute top level have played with a player and though bloody hell, this lad is way too good for us. I remember playing at a semi decent level many years ago, and having a lad come in, who could just read the game like no one I’ve ever seen before - everything he did was a step above anyone else on the pitch every week.

There’s absolutely nothing wrong with acknowledging that this player is a step above. 
I’m certain when Kante was playing, a few lads thought the same.

We've been incredibly fortunate over the past few years to see the likes of Mahrez, Vardy, Schmeichel, Kante and Maguire who are a step above the quality we are used to seeing.
Now with the likes of Fofana, Tielemans, Ndidi, Ricardo we are seeing more and more top quality players and starting to believe we belong in the top end of the Premier League.

Very well put sir 

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, Spudulike said:

At no point, as a fan, did I ever watch Slabhead and thought he's too good for us. Perhaps it's different from a players perspective. 

His stock rose on the back of his international performances and not from anything special that he did with us. 

Don’t go to many games or Maybe need to visit spec savers, either way that’s the worst post on here for some time, well done you 🤣🤣

• Haha 1

45 minutes ago, King of Gipsy Lane said:

Don’t go to many games or Maybe need to visit spec savers, either way that’s the worst post on here for some time, well done you 🤣🤣

I suggest you keep reading then as methinks you've only just scratched the surface ;)

50 minutes ago, King of Gipsy Lane said:

Is it? I always thought he was a good centre-back for us but definitely not levels above where we were at the time.

Admittedly, he has two fantastic international tournaments with England but I think that is definitely clouding judgments here. He regularly got slated here after games during the 18-19 season. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Matt_Lcfc said:

He regularly got slated here after games during the 18-19 season. 

Yep, I recall there were folk not as impressed as others, let's put it that way. That said, many/most players divide opinion. For myself, I don't think he looked out of place in our side one way or the other. I did enjoy his near lumbering runs forward with the ball though, those runs where one could say passion exceeded ball skills praps. lol

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, drumbeat said:

Yep, I recall there were folk not as impressed as others, let's put it that way. That said, many/most players divide opinion. For myself, I don't think he looked out of place in our side one way or the other. I did enjoy his near lumbering runs forward with the ball though, those runs where one could say passion exceeded ball skills praps. lol

This. I said when he signed for United that I viewed him as a ‘solid PL player’ and at the time he played for a solid PL team. He was simply a decent player for us but I never looked at him as a class above us - I very much believed that he was synonymous with our level at that point in time. 

That said, he has really developed as a player in the past 12 months though, but even if you were to put him alongside our strongest defenders now would he be too good? I don’t think so personally.

Edited by Matt_Lcfc
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Spudulike said:

At no point, as a fan, did I ever watch Slabhead and thought he's too good for us. Perhaps it's different from a players perspective. 

His stock rose on the back of his international performances and not from anything special that he did with us. 

Maybe because you don't know the game as well a professional footballer?

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, Grebfromgrebland said:

Maybe because you don't know the game as well a professional footballer?

The lad is world class has completely changed the focus at his current Club and like some bitter ex-boyfriend some lads on hear talking nonsense slagging him off  🤣🤣🤣

football really is a broad church 😀

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Spudulike said:

Completely correct. Always though he was unremarkable for us. When you watch Fofana make a recovery tackle you see what top class young defenders look like.

Maguire was a decent player for a couple of seasons in which we were a mid-table PL side largely because of our goals scored but conceded enough goals to be in a relegation battle, but Vardy and Mahrez scoring a lot steered us to mid-table.

If it wasn't for him being in the record book for our biggest transfer fee received then I think most would have forgotten about him already.

He will go down as a decent player in Leicester's history, but will be nowhere near remembered as a club great like Morgan, Huth and Evans will be.

Having that said, I think he's improved a lot over the past 12 months or so and is now a much better player than he was while he was here.

• Like 3

For me Maguire always looked like a decent footballer but a pretty average defender. I can't say I felt he was head and shoulders above any of our better players at the time. I felt he was exactly what he is, a player that technically should be a midfielder but due to his lack of mobility and his sheer size has ended up as a centre half whilst benefiting from the evolution of football where having a ball playing CB is now considered the gold standard. 

I loved his composure on the ball and the ability to bring the ball out from the back and advance us up the field, however I disliked his positional awareness and often felt his decision making wasn't that of a seasoned centre half. 

If he had stayed I would have been happy to have kept him but conversely I wasn't overly concerned when he left especially given the fee that we received. 

9 hours ago, King of Gipsy Lane said:

His first season here was good, his second season was average. I still see him getting turned and outpaced at Huddersfield away when they scored.

• Like 1

The fact Maguire divides opinion, not just between us, but Manchester United fans as well, tells you the jury is out on how good he actually is. 

He isn’t the solid central defender, like Bonucci, Chellini, Terry etc, however he is very good on the ball and has the ability to step into midfield. 

He’s better than Cags, I’m not sure on Evans. Fofana will surpass them all if he comes back. I believe Fofana will go on to play for an elite club.