Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Happy Fox

Next season expectations

6 minutes ago, Izzy said:

Just hope we win the FA Cup before I die really so that would be nice :)

Me too.  That would give us the full domestic set.  

7th would be nice.  8th-10th would be par, but means nothing compared to winning the cup.

Even Cov have got an FA Cup.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Greg2607 said:

May as well stick with iheanacho then.

If all we are buying is potential.

But "potential" doesn't necessarily move the club forward towards European places IMO. 

Especially if an ageing vardy gets injured or suffers a loss of form, because that championship striker is then suddenly a starter and we'll all be bemoaning the fact we "only bought squad players".

Don't forget that the level of spending will be assisted by funds coming in from those who may be leaving

Just now, Greg2607 said:

May as well stick with iheanacho then.

If all we are buying is potential.

But "potential" doesn't necessarily move the club forward towards European places IMO. 

Especially if an ageing vardy gets injured or suffers a loss of form, because that championship striker is then suddenly a starter and we'll all be bemoaning the fact we "only bought squad players".

I would be confident a top championship player could produce the goods at this level when asked upon, if Vardy say gets injured, we have seen it with Maddison, he arguably had potential and is producing the goods at this level. Obviously the standard of the premier league is far sight better than the championship but don’t underestimate players at that level. The likes of Maupay and Che Adams are very good.

7th has to be the aim but I do think there's a chance the competition for 7th is better next year - then again I said that this year and it's marginally harder at most. I don't think it's beyond us.

Ultimately I just want to go into games thinking I might enjoy this. The majority of time under Puel I'd become apathetic because I knew no matter what good we did we'd undo it. Even after the Chelsea & Man City wins you knew we'd find a way to somehow undo it and we did.

Rodgers I think understands the strengths of our side and can maximise those. I never thought Puel got the most out of our team and I never thought he was going to so I naturally just used to think we're going to under-achieve regardless.

As for the cups - a lot of it is draw dependant. We could get sent to Anfield or Man City in round 3 next year and that is likely to put paid to any cup run we may have so it's hard to judge the expectations - but again, it's about going for it and actually feeling like we're maximising what we're getting from this team.

Rodgers said something about wanting to go for a trophy in his big interview upon joining us and while I don't take that as "we must win a trophy", I at least hope he sticks with his word and really goes for it.

I ultimately just want to enjoy and look forward to going to football. This is the first international break in well over a year I've been disappointed about the arrival of and that cannot be a bad thing.

• Like 2

Obviously it's very difficult to predict without knowing the incoming and outgoing player's and also the business that other club's complete, however if Brendan can keep the nucleus of the squad together whilst bringing in Tielemans, another striker capable of chipping in with 12-15 goals, and a goalscoring attacking midfielder/winger I think we can challenge the periphery of the top six. Having said that, if Wolves make significant reinforcements in the summer it's hard to see us and them displacing two teams from the top six so I think a lot will depend on what other teams do. 

Guest Markyblue
20 minutes ago, murphy said:

Me too.  That would give us the full domestic set.  

7th would be nice.  8th-10th would be par, but means nothing compared to winning the cup.

Even Cov have got an FA Cup.

As much as i used to dislike cov the potential of them being homeless is very sad.

It be nice if we could at least beat teams we should be beating at home, taking the cups more seriously and playing decent football that entertains. All this talk of 7th and winning a cup though, come on it’d be nice but Everton, Wolves, West Ham, Watford and Bournemouth may expect the same as well as Leeds should they go up. I expect us to be mid table with the usual ups and downs and hoping to gain more points than this season. 

Edited by Sir Shep
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, StriderHiryu said:

7th position should be our aim though this  depends on what the teams around us do. If Wolves qualify for Europe this year they may spend big and we know Everton and West Ham are both willing to spend too. After the title win everyone looks at the top 6 as where we want to be but we can’t take teams around us lightly. 

I believe with our current team (including Tielemans) we are already more than capable of 7th but it’s one thing saying it and another to do it. Hopefully Rodgers will make it happen though and the initial signs are promising. 

Exactly this, I don't get people saying 7th as the absolute minimum, like there's no competition for it. It should be our aim but it's by no means a given

• Like 2

Guest Markyblue
1 minute ago, murphy said:

You obviously don't dislike them as much as me then.

I think it's hilarious!

If our rivals go to the wall we have no rivals. 

2 minutes ago, Markyblue said:

If our rivals go to the wall we have no rivals. 

Cov are not our rivals.

Another thing I have not missed is the Forest and Derby rivalries.  I like how irrelevant they are.  Let them rot in the Championship, we have bigger fish to fry.

• Like 2

Guest Markyblue
Just now, murphy said:

Cov are not our rivals.

Another thing I have not missed is the Forest and Derby rivalries.  I like how irrelevant they are.  Let them rot in the Championship, we have bigger fish to fry.

Back in the day i always regarded cov as our derby really depends on what part of the county you live in. Couldn't agree more about the Brian clough trophy boys though. 

It all depends on who's will be brought in and how much of the remaining dead wood we're going to ship. Tielemans is a must if we want to compete for 7th but we also desperately need a good striker. A right winger too should Gray not improve.

A Cup final or a Cup win would be great.

Edited by That_Dude

Realistically:

• Top half finish
  • Youth team player breaking through to the first team
  • A new striker, either bought or developed
  • Quarter finals of FA or League Cup

Ideally:

• A trophy
  • 7th
Edited by Foxxed

2 hours ago, Foxymcoxy said:

"Expecting" a cup win seems a bit stupid to me mate -  far too many variables. Definitely a realistic ambition though. Similar for european qualification. My "expectation" would be 7th or above and not pissing the cup away to anybody we should be beating. Less than that would be a dissapointment. I definitely hope for more though and we have the potential.

Agree. Our treatment of the Cups under Puel was scandalous.  Hopefully, Rogers will take things more seriously.

2 hours ago, Happy Fox said:

We aren’t going to sign a first choice striker but merely a competent back up with the potential to become a first team regular someone from the Championship either Maupay from Brentford or Che Adams at Birmingham, maybe £15m tops.

Winger wise, I think Pepe could be a good shout, £25m, and Toure would know all about him being in the Ivory Coast set up.

So I don’t think £80m circa spent is that bad, not factoring in players sales as well.

You think Pepe could be a good shout? 

Pepe is going to be one of the most sought after players this upcoming transfer window. We'd be lucky to even be linked with him.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1