Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Happy Fox

Next season expectations

26 minutes ago, Guest said:

Finish 7th or 8th, have a good go at one of the cups, don't get battered home and away by Palace

If it wasn't for the traditional 6 points that we gift wrapped for them, Palace would be in the relegation zone.  :angry:

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Gazza M said:

I think the league cup is the one. It's that comp that gets you in to Europe automatically and one where the top 6 offer you more of a chance with weakened teams. 

We've already got three of those.

Like @Izzy said, I want the FA Cup in my lifetime and I'm bloody well not gonna die until we get it!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, murphy said:

If it wasn't for the traditional 6 points that we gift wrapped for them, Palace would be in the relegation zone.  :angry:

Grim isn't it? 1-13 on aggregate over the last four games. Not sure what's worse, that or failing to beat Bournemouth in the top flight in seven attempts

• Like 1

Firstly, a season without the horror and sadness that we had to endure this season.

I want to see Top's name as Chairman and not Vice chairman.

I want to see the training ground completed successfully with a bench with a view of the junction with "Frank the protest's" name on brass plaque.

I want to see rail seating and the Family Stands and Kop switched.

A top ten finish is still a positive season, although top 6 would maybe ensures we keep the better players ion the squad for 1 more season, and give the supporters some crazy away day or two somewhere different.

Not so sure that we need a ground expansion, there would be too many empty seats.

Most of all, please, pretty please win the FA Cup.

• Like 1

Threads like this are a little pointless tbh. Who knows who will stay, or go or who we’ll sign?

Until then, it’s impossible to predict how next season will go.

What I would say is stop this talk about selling players. We need to keep Chilwell, Ndidi, Maddison and add quality to them. Do this and I think we’ll look really good next term.

3 hours ago, Greg2607 said:

That's a fairly heavy spend!! Do you think we'll have that much money?? 

I reckon that's easily £100m of spending to get first team quality additions.

How much is a premier league quality striker?  £40m?  £50m?

Tielemans is going to be £30m or £40m I reckon?

And a winger in this market to hit the ground running another £30m at least surely?? 

I'm not sure we have that much in the kitty!

I agree with the Tielemans reply you said the rest is nonsense.

You dont need a premier league quality striker for 40 50 million.

You could actually find a player for 10 15 million who would be premier league quality  just depends on the scouts that same for the winger aswel

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Fox85 said:

I agree with the Tielemans reply you said the rest is nonsense.

You dont need a premier league quality striker for 40 50 million.

You could actually find a player for 10 15 million who would be premier league quality  just depends on the scouts that same for the winger aswel

I think he means "risk free" - someone "proven".

Like others I’d maybe draw a distinction between ambitions (i.e. targets) and expectations (i.e. a minimum). 

My ambition would be to finish 7th / win a domestic cup. 

Based on on where we are now I think a reasonable minimum expectation would be to finish in the top ten. 

Personally though I am not necessarily expecting us to spend *that* much money in the summer. 

Our net spend across the two transfer windows this season has been about £16m once you count the sale of Iborra...

2 minutes ago, rn9013 said:

My expectations for next season are a top 10 finish and to give the cups a good go. 

My hopes are that we finish in a European place and win a cup. I think a lot of our fans mix expectation with hope.

A reasonable goal (seventh place, a cup) may not be a reasonable expectation.

Most of us can accept unfulfilled hopes.  But we become unhappy or angry if our expectations aren’t met.

53 minutes ago, Gazza M said:

I think the league cup is the one. It's that comp that gets you in to Europe automatically and one where the top 6 offer you more of a chance with weakened teams. 

You still have a couple of qualifiers with the League Cup. FA cup sees you straight into the group stages 

I want nice attacking football, id like to build on what we have seen in the last few games (with the exception of Harry being sent off. )

I want Kasper to practice his kicking, love him as a keeper but sometimes this season he has made my head drop.

I want Tielemans to sign, that is the key one for me. 

I want Chilwell to find that form he started the season with and i want Vardy to be right up there with the likes of Kane / Salah etc in goals scored. 

I want Benkovic to hit the ground moving and be a regular starter and hopefully stay injury free. 

I want all the signings we get in the summer to be as good as to be challenging for a starting spot. 

Like i think Col said, its hard to say where will be or make a justified prediction, but if we can sort some of the above points ive stated then there is every chance we can have an awesome cup run and finish in 7th.

I think we're on the dawn of a new era at the club now. I would say the first development I would like to see is a more refreshed squad. Obviously we know that the likes of Fuchs, Okazaki, Slimani, Simpson and Silva are more or less on their way: however for the past couple of years we've really failed in showing that other squad players can actually impact games. So, whether it comes in the form of transfers, or a reinvigoration of the likes of Iheanacho and Ghezzal, I want to see a level of consistency in the work rate and quality produced. I think already we're going some way in doing this. The way that Rodgers has used Mendy being the prime example; closing off games, pressing with intensity and getting stuck in when we're being overrun in the midfield. 

In terms of the transfer market, it's clear our first priority has to be to hold on to our best players and growing talents. Following that, I think we're all in agreement that Tielemans provides us with a completely fresh dynamic. We haven't had to rely solely on Maddison for the key passes. With a goal and two assists in 6 games, alongside a number of excellent interchanges with the players, he has already become an important part of our team and our progression. He seems to be enjoying it here too, which is great and will hopefully weigh in when he decides where to go this summer. Aside from that, we need a young striker who we can mould into our next talisman. Che Adams seems to fit the bill, but I would hope we're doing some proper scouting into that one, as it's been fairly shambolic thus far. 

I think fans expecting 7th is a very slippy slope to be on. You cannot predict the premier league and there is every chance that teams like Wolves, Watford and Everton could kick on and be better than us next season. 

We have to aim high, agreed. We have to aim for 7th and try and push the top 6 as much as we can. But to expect it? I feel that shows a lack of respect in the quality of the teams around us and the unpredictability of the premier league. 

I expect top 10 and I would be disappointed with not challenging for Europe. But to expect 7th is a bit worrying, and fans overestimating how good we actually are is a big problem. 

Aim for 7th, aim to win a cup. But please don’t expect it. There’s a high chance it won’t happen. Football is unpredictable. Just be happy we’re on the up.

• Like 3

5 hours ago, Foxymcoxy said:

"Expecting" a cup win seems a bit stupid to me mate -  far too many variables. Definitely a realistic ambition though. Similar for european qualification. My "expectation" would be 7th or above and not pissing the cup away to anybody we should be beating. Less than that would be a dissapointment. I definitely hope for more though and we have the potential.

Same. It's the difference between expectation and targets here. We should target winning a cup, but if we expect to win it I feel we've already lost. Similar with league position.

Aim for the best, but expect nothing.

2 hours ago, Nicolo Barella said:

I think he means "risk free" - someone "proven".

Even top players can be bought at risk.

Adrian Silva is a perfect example. He is a top player and has proven this over his career just didnt fit at Leicester but doing well at Monaco.

Kramaric is a top striker and doing well now didnt fit at Leicester.

2 hours ago, murphy said:

We've already got three of those.

Like @Izzy said, I want the FA Cup in my lifetime and I'm bloody well not gonna die until we get it!

We'll share coffins with the FA.cup on top of  our hearse at the triumphant funeral possession & victory parade...

The wake ,will last for weeks...:beer:....:cheers: