Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Happy Fox

Next season expectations

25 minutes ago, Sol thewall Bamba said:

Again worried that people are expecting too much. Do people here think that Watford/Everton/Wolves/West Ham will just roll over and let us have 7th because we have Brendan and "ambitious owners"? They'll all be having similar thoughts about this point in the season surely. 

Gone are the days of long-term thinking. Gone are the days of projects. Couple of defeats and people will be screaming bloody murder. 

We'll get there, we will absolutely get there, but it's going to take time, patience, transfer windows, squad building. We might get 7th straight away and a cup win. It might take 2/3 years. But you know expectations will be so sky high for some their dreams can't wait.

2 hours ago, Suzie the Fox said:

I want nice attacking football, id like to build on what we have seen in the last few games (with the exception of Harry being sent off. )

I want Kasper to practice his kicking, love him as a keeper but sometimes this season he has made my head drop.

I want Tielemans to sign, that is the key one for me. 

I want Chilwell to find that form he started the season with and i want Vardy to be right up there with the likes of Kane / Salah etc in goals scored. 

I want Benkovic to hit the ground moving and be a regular starter and hopefully stay injury free. 

I want all the signings we get in the summer to be as good as to be challenging for a starting spot. 

Like i think Col said, its hard to say where will be or make a justified prediction, but if we can sort some of the above points ive stated then there is every chance we can have an awesome cup run and finish in 7th.

Typical demanding woman :rolleyes:

• Haha 3

This season I just wanted more points than last season as it was evident it was going to be a bit of a slog. So far we’re only 6 points off equalling last season so fingers crossed we should be able to better that.

Again as it’s Brendan Rodgers first full season with us, I’d hope for us to beat this season’s points total. Like others have said, a trip to Wembley in any competition would be great. To win a trophy would be just outside my expectations but would be absolutely thrilled all the same!

11 hours ago, TK95 said:

Qualify for Europe. Simple as that.

Whether he does it through the cups or league position, qualification is a must for a squad like ours.

Yup.  Europe, plain and simple, however you get there.  You can't state "win a cup" as a goal because everyone wants to win one.  And saying "take the cups seriously" is silly because Puel took them seriously, just like pretty much every manager outside the big 6. And every one of them will selectively rest players in the cups (Rodgers will too, guaranteed).

• Like 1

To be competing for 7th. Finishing 9th a couple of points off it? Acceptable but I would like to be a serious contender for that "best of the rest" spot and make it ours over the next couple of years and I don't think we are a million miles away from that to be honest. 

A decent cup run would be nice too. 

People aren't actually 'expecting' 7th, are they?

It should be our ambition and a realistic target, but the likes of West Ham, Wolves and Watford have got good sides and excellent managers in place- we'll have to have a bloody good season to finish above all of them. Everton are never far away either.

I'd probably 'expect' a top half finish and to have a proper go at the cups, regardless of how far we get. Anything beyond that is a bonus.

• Like 1

I think first and foremost at the end of the season, there needs to be a bit of pause at expectations. 

When people look back on this season as a whole, the fact we are anyway above 12th is an incredible effort placed against the context of Vichai's sad death. It was clear when it occurred it hurt parts of the squad. Three of those most effective are Vardy, Kasper and Wes - all had spells of poor form which is understandable. 

I get pissed off at our soft underbelly and the lack of the intelligence. But at the end of the season, the squad needs some praise. It's easy to forgot but it shouldn't be forgotten. 

A challenge for 7th, but that could mean finishing 11th and just a point or two off 7th. So I'm not going to say it's x position or bust because there are lots of other teams who all think they should be there. Wolves, West Ham, Everton, Watford will all be investing again.

For realistic expectations, top 8 in the league and competitive in both cups will be decent. Though as @Babylon says, if we're competitive but just miss out that wouldn't be a disaster.

As for targets, 7th in the league so we qualify for Europe and a cup final.

And an ambitious stretch-goal of breaking the top 6. Perhaps not likely, but there might be an opportunity for someone to push on, particularly if Chelsea/Spurs lose key players and staff and struggle as a result.

20 hours ago, Deeg67 said:

Yup.  Europe, plain and simple, however you get there.  You can't state "win a cup" as a goal because everyone wants to win one.  And saying "take the cups seriously" is silly because Puel took them seriously, just like pretty much every manager outside the big 6. And every one of them will selectively rest players in the cups (Rodgers will too, guaranteed).

yeah exactly mate. there's a lot of variables in cup competitions, mainly not knowing who you'll draw next.

That's why it's an either or. It would be nice to win a cup of course but it's not always possible. But binning off cups to solely focus on the league is just naive as there are never any guarantees.

Edited by TK95

I couldn't give a shit what it looks like,I want us to intend to win every game, Ideally I want us to win a trophy or at least give it our all. I want us to try to win as many games as possible in the league... This is what we should try to do every season!

Its a disgrace from the old management team that our season was over in after Newport.

Guest Markyblue

Love to be going for 7nth but full attention to both cups surely has to be attainable if going ok in the league.  This year was such a wasted opportunity. 

I want them all to press and attack like wild action crazy mangy dogs and let the chips fall where thy may. i want to feel how I felt when I watched Liverpool 13/14 running and screaming around the house.

ATTACK! ATTACK! ATTACK!................Westley's goal was a good start.:appl:

On 18/03/2019 at 12:53, Nicolo Barella said:

I've seen a few mention "challenge the Top 6"... Surely that's hyperbolic? We're a long, long way off that.

I guess it depends with what other word they mention it along side 'hope' or 'expect'

I would very much hope we can challenge for top 6, but i do not expect it? Ofc not.. :D