Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
sylofox

Maguire to Man Utd / Man City

13 hours ago, st albans fox said:

everyone who is busy selling our England centre half needs to answer the following question:

maguire is proven premier league quality

benkovic isn't yet (and he has injury concerns)

soyuncu hasn't been really exposed to the PL as yet on a regular basis

to assume that one of these guys will just pick up the mantle next to evans ( who himself has injury issues from time to time) is a pretty loose attitude. i would rather keep our best players and sell those just below that level. (unless you are definitely bringing in a replacement who is top quality PL proven for thirty mill less).

Would you rather risk Benk and Soyuncu and have Tielemans? Or have Maguire and no Tielemans? That seems to be the question (assuming we don't have 40 million lying around after Top loses his duty free monopoly).

6 hours ago, foxfanazer said:

Clubs like ours could really profit from the desperation of teams like United, Arsenal etc. Had poor seasons buy can't attract the elite players so will look to clubs like ours and overpay for the likes of Maguire. £80m would be a fantastic piece of business

As a football club, our business is to try and finish in the Top 4 to 6 in premier league. 'Come and play with harry Maguire' is a better selling point to good players than 'please come and play for us, because we sold harry....'

I am sure Southampton fans don't  reminisce about the season they got £75m for van dijk.

12 minutes ago, FOXSE said:

As a football club, our business is to try and finish in the Top 4 to 6 in premier league. 'Come and play with harry Maguire' is a better selling point to good players than 'please come and play for us, because we sold harry....'

I am sure Southampton fans don't  reminisce about the season they got £75m for van dijk.

I see what you're saying but I don't think Maguire would be that much of a draw for new recruits. £80m means Tielemans is done and leaves £40m to replace Maguire. Get someone like Dunk or Tarkowski in for less than that and then look for a striker. Benkovic might even be ready next season

I like Maguire but every man has his price

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, FOXSE said:

lets be right here, a selling point to the club is what we are about, the club in general future ambition etc, not just the players, we have some really talent in the CB department in Soyuncu Benkovic, knight, johnson....all under 25

while it would be great to keep HM, i think if we got a bid of £75/80 mil the club will accept it and it would be good for us, given we've got some real talent who can step up

On southampton and VVD, there are alot of issues there, he wanted to go etc, shame they spent the money poorly 

29 minutes ago, Koke said:

Eric Bailly is a very good player. He's got injury concerns but he's not a bad player. But he came to United and has been labelled average. What is it with Man Utd and them making otherwise good players look really awful (Sanchez, Pogba, Martial)? Both United and Arsenal have been totally mismanaged and ruined. Two great iconic clubs are now also-rans. 

If Maguire goes there he will be dragged down to the level of crap they have. 

They were raving about him when he was first there. Can't be nice playing next to the likes of Phil Jones and Ashley Young

4 minutes ago, FrankieADZ said:

lets be right here, a selling point to the club is what we are about, the club in general future ambition etc, not just the players, we have some really talent in the CB department in Soyuncu Benkovic, knight, johnson....all under 25

while it would be great to keep HM, i think if we got a bid of £75/80 mil the club will accept it and it would be good for us, given we've got some real talent who can step up

On southampton and VVD, there are alot of issues there, he wanted to go etc, shame they spent the money poorly 

If we want to have a go next season, let's not sell one of our main players (an established England player) to a rival.

The point about ambition is keeping HM next season would show that to a potential new recruit. Much better than words.

With Southampton, its easy to get seduced by fees for players, but it has screwed them!

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, FOXSE said:

If we want to have a go next season, let's not sell one of our main players (an established England player) to a rival.

The point about ambition is keeping HM next season would show that to a potential new recruit. Much better than words.

With Southampton, its easy to get seduced by fees for players, but it has screwed them!

He hasn't performed anywhere near the standard of an £80m player this season though. Won't be offered it again imo so I'd take it

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, FOXSE said:

It also leads to existing players in the squad questioning the ambition of the club if we sell our best players and could see them looking elsewhere. If we are serious about pushing for the top 6 we need to keep the squad together as much as possible and build on it year after year rather than replacing year after year aka Southampton. 

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, foxfanazer said:

He hasn't performed anywhere near the standard of an £80m player this season though. Won't be offered it again imo so I'd take it

Look at a number of the World Cup squad, Ali, trippier, Kane, Pickford, all have dropped off this season and or struggled with fitness, playing late into the summer and returning late into pre season training has clearly taken its toll on some. Having said that I still don’t think Maguire has dropped off as much this season as people think, maybe it’s their expectations that have risen after a good first season and World Cup. 

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, foxfanazer said:

Or just keep it - class is permanent ....

liverpool sold Coutinho for 143 million but they are Liverpool and can attract the best players as replacements

if we have a stellar player then we need to go all out to keep them - we couldn’t replace Ngolo, we couldnt replace Riyad ... we weren’t even able to replace drinks! I suggest we won’t be able to adequately replace Harry 

and Tielemans coming here is nothing to do with the 40m fee - it’s whether Monaco will accept that and whether the player wants to come.  We have the money. 

• Like 2

36 minutes ago, st albans fox said:

Or just keep it - class is permanent ....

liverpool sold Coutinho for 143 million but they are Liverpool and can attract the best players as replacements

if we have a stellar player then we need to go all out to keep them - we couldn’t replace Ngolo, we couldnt replace Riyad ... we weren’t even able to replace drinks! I suggest we won’t be able to adequately replace Harry 

and Tielemans coming here is nothing to do with the 40m fee - it’s whether Monaco will accept that and whether the player wants to come.  We have the money. 

But I'm saying I think we can replace him. I love the guy but half the time it looks like he's trying to shift a heavy wardrobe. I wouldn't be against keeping him but I think he'd want to go and test himself at a top club and for that kind of money I wouldn't be disappointed

Edited by foxfanazer

1 hour ago, FOXSE said:

Ask most Saints fans and they sold him six months too late. Vardy did a naughty number, came back struggling with fitness and was pretty poor with a poor attitude to boot. I don't think we are quite there with Maguire but I don't think it will be far away. 

4 hours ago, Koke said:

Eric Bailly is a very good player. He's got injury concerns but he's not a bad player. But he came to United and has been labelled average. What is it with Man Utd and them making otherwise good players look really awful (Sanchez, Pogba, Martial)? Both United and Arsenal have been totally mismanaged and ruined. Two great iconic clubs are now also-rans. 

If Maguire goes there he will be dragged down to the level of crap they have. 

Because everyone they buy is a mercenary. Players who want to play for a good team with a good attitude go to clubs that win stuff.

Just now, Nicolo Barella said:

The question comes down to, I think, Maguire or Tielemans? The answer makes itself clear when you look at it that way.

do you know something or are you just making a guess ?    i wouldn't have thought it necessarily does unless we have another 40/50 m of players we are committed to bring in

1 minute ago, st albans fox said:

do you know something or are you just making a guess ?    i wouldn't have thought it necessarily does unless we have another 40/50 m of players we are committed to bring in

Oh, just guessing. But the outlay for him plus a second striker, left-back backup, and a winger who can score goals, would be more than what the club has historically paid without reducing the net expenditure

• Like 1

If stock is high, then perhaps this is the time to let Maguire go. I do not believe we have 60-80m to spend on players without selling such a saleable asset

If this lets us get Tielemans plus another then so be it. Also its time we started bedding in a replacement for Vardy.

• Like 1

Bottom line is £80m players don't want to hang around in Leicester too long and when they negotiate wages they start at £200k a week.

We either get Champions League football next season or we sell these players. Maguire is obviously a very good player but he's not an absolute rock in the defence. Whilst I don't want to become a club that bends over for a few quid every time I'm happy to sell at that sort of figure especially with the younger Benkovic and Soyuncu needing an opening to give them a chance. 

• Like 2

Selling one player for a high fee is probably the only way we’ll grow as a club  each season, providing adequate replacements. 

Id be gutted but at the same time £60m+ can get us a few other players (similar to how we reinvested the Mahrez money, or Liverpool with the Coutinho money).

• Like 3

39 minutes ago, lcfc sheff said:

Selling one player for a high fee is probably the only way we’ll grow as a club  each season, providing adequate replacements. 

Id be gutted but at the same time £60m+ can get us a few other players (similar to how we reinvested the Mahrez money, or Liverpool with the Coutinho money).

Liverpool can attract proven top class replacements...... 

i accept the arguments but I think they may be a year to soon .... let’s see where we are next season. We could always sell in January to a CL team if our season is just a bit meh 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Nicolo Barella said:

The question comes down to, I think, Maguire or Tielemans? The answer makes itself clear when you look at it that way.

I think it’s not about transfer fees with the board it’s the ridiculous wage budge we have with the likes of Simpson, Slimani, Kingy, Silva, Kelechi & Shinji a few coming to mind. All in my opinion shouldn’t be here come next season but would most likely free up almost 300k a week in wages alone on just back up players who we no longer need. 

Im sure I’ve previously read John Percy stating transfer fee’s aren’t the issue it’s the wages with FFP.

16 minutes ago, Bluearmyfox28 said:

I think it’s not about transfer fees with the board it’s the ridiculous wage budge we have with the likes of Simpson, Slimani, Kingy, Silva, Kelechi & Shinji a few coming to mind. All in my opinion shouldn’t be here come next season but would most likely free up almost 300k a week in wages alone on just back up players who we no longer need. 

Im sure I’ve previously read John Percy stating transfer fee’s aren’t the issue it’s the wages with FFP.

Out of interest, do you have a source on that? I ask because I have a source that says similar, would like to see if its corroborated with yours because I'm not sure as to its overall reliability.

41 minutes ago, Ric Flair said:

It all depends on what our transfer budget is and how many players we want to bring in to improve us overall. Of all our coveted players, Maguire is probably the one we have adequate cover for and young players waiting in the wings to replace him. If we lost Chilwell we'd immediately need to replace, possibly with 2 players. There is a general consensus that Maguire is dispensible from our fans, we may be wrong but the logic is there.

If we got a daft price and used it wisely we really could get Tielemans, a top quality winger and a striker for a net spend of probably £10-20m, then factor in the sales of fringe players like Silva and we could make improvements to our squad without really pushing the finances. I'm convinced Benkovic would be as authoritive as Maguire in this team.

I hear that but I’m intrigued why our fanbase is always so concerned about how much we spend ...... rudders has his budget and will always try to get best value for money though that doesn’t always work as we have seen. On the other hand, Harry and JM could be sold tomorrow at a v tidy profit. The club never gives the impression that it has bundles of dough for obvious reasons ........,

benkovic looks a good prospect but we knew when we signed him that he had injury concerns and he has missed a lot of games in Scotland ..... I wouldn’t be hanging my hat on him nor caglar at the moment which would potentially leave us with Jonny and wes!  

• Like 1