Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
sylofox

Maguire to Man Utd / Man City

38 minutes ago, treer said:

From a purely footballing sense, City squad themselves must be highly excited and confidant for the coming season, just like us fans. The place must be buzzing.

Contrast this with doubt and uncertainty over at manu.(an hot and cold Pog,niggling doubts about Ole, and worst of all unrest at owners intentions)

The last must be a concern to Harry having experienced the different attitude displayed by Top, and Vichai,towards the club, than other owners.

For all there history and prestige, Harry  must be thinking is it the right time to go to utd?

Maybe he is thinking lets give it year see how it unfolds with Ole, and if I am not happy in 12 months then I can push for a move.

That’s one view.

Another would be that’s it’s an exciting opportunity to be part of turning it around. They have the support and infrastructure and will undoubtedly come good again soon. 

I left a very secure role to join a “project” at a similar club that could’ve gone either way, but when it succeeded, my reputation enhanced and it turned out to be a good move. It’s a funny old game.

• Like 2

Red Cafe - ramblings of the delusional. 

Man Utd will always be bigger than us. That doesn’t mean we cannot be better than them - against the odds. 

Arguably they are the biggest football club in the world, at least in the top 2 or 3. 

Man City ascended on a fountain of oil money and are now a better, more successful club than Utd. Will they ever be bigger? Unlikely. 

Being a a huge club, though, does not insulate you from failure, dips in form or utter chaos. Utd are embracing chaos currently. We have a chance to creep above them, but that’s all it is, a chance. 

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, foxinsocks said:

Maguire signed a contract giving him certainty.... against a range of possible futures... that his form could drop... that he might suffer injury. ..or that he might be the target of a rich club who woild pay him loadsamoney. 

He took all this into account and signed a contract paying him a big premium in return for promising to play for us.  No one made him sign it 

Realistically though everybody would have signed that contract. I imagine it was probably double what he was on and if he hadn’t signed it, we could still have said he isn’t going anywhere unless our valuation is met as he had a contract up 2022. 

1 minute ago, ARM1968 said:

Man Utd will always be bigger than us. That doesn’t mean we cannot be better than them - against the odds. 

Arguably they are the biggest football club in the world, at least in the top 2 or 3. 

Man City ascended on a fountain of oil money and are now a better, more successful club than Utd. Will they ever be bigger? Unlikely. 

Being a a huge club, though, does not insulate you from failure, dips in form or utter chaos. Utd are embracing chaos currently. We have a chance to creep above them, but that’s all it is, a chance. 

Why won't they? United need a complete rebuild which will take time and money, Man City have arguably one of the best squads in the world, surely it's only a matter of time. 

The only difference is United's history, which is great as a fan, but as a player are you that fussed or are you looking at where the club is now and where they're going? 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, ARM1968 said:

Agree with this - you need look no further than Liverpool to see this is true.

A huge club, lost in the wilderness for decades, waiting for their cash injections and a decent coaching setup. However, even during their leaner times, they are still a massive club, and they will likely always be so.

Just now, UniFox21 said:

Why won't they? United need a complete rebuild which will take time and money, Man City have arguably one of the best squads in the world, surely it's only a matter of time. 

The only difference is United's history, which is great as a fan, but as a player are you that fussed or are you looking at where the club is now and where they're going? 

Because Utd are a far far bigger global brand, the footballing side is almost an irrelevance.

40 minutes ago, VIKTOR-LE5 said:
foxedup said: 
Why? Premier league money, ambitious billionaire owners who aren't in it to make a profit off the club.

Add to that the fact you've only bid £60m, we paid £17m for him and have to pay Hull 15% of any profit. Any replacement is likely to cost us in excess of £35m and I'm sure Harry would be due a hefty "loyalty" fee. All in all, what's the incentive for an ambitious team to sell him exactly? You have to dangle a carrot or incentivise us if you want the player, and that means paying over the odds.

I keep having to repeat this, but people seem to struggle with the fact we are ambitious and not a club like say Burnley, who will take the profit, bank a large chunk of it and buy some cheap replacement because they are happy to tread water.
It's all so fragile though, isn't it?

One dodgy season and all the top players want to leave, or one incredible season and all the big clubs come and take all your best players.

Football has seen tons of cases like Leicester, and whilst you should undoubtedly enjoy it, it seems a little daft coming to a Man United forum to give it big guns as, whether you like it or not, we will always be above you in the food chain, and will inevitably always be more successful than you no matter how "ambitious" your owners are.

Don't forget, in this case, your player wants to leave. It just seems to have been sidetracked by the fact Unted are in talks to sign one of Europe's best attackers, whilst Leicester wait to see if they need to bid for Lewis Dunk or not.

If this Leicester team is very successful, it will get broken up. If it is incredibly unsuccessful, it will get broken up. The only hope you have of keeping this incredibly "ambitious" team together is if Shankley reincarnated himself leads you to utter mediocrity, as to prevent interest in your players.

Something to mull over before your next post informing us of how great your are and how you're coming to get all the big boys.

RED CAFE.

Not in the slightest bit patronising is it? They just seem to look at football the wrong way, the comment about buying "one of Europe's best attackers, whilst Leicester wait to see if they need to bid for Lewis Dunk" 

1, Dybala is questionable, he's ok, but certainly not world class... so if they want to throw him £350k a week that's on their bad business practices.

2, Even these "Europes best attackers" would need a club to take a gamble on them, so it's all well and good belittling our transfer activity... but would they have looked at Maguire when he was at Hull?

3, It's quite likely that if Dunk ever came good (at any club mind), that United would find themselves clambering to get him.

You could never question their stature, but they're in a bad place right now.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, ARM1968 said:

As a brand. I am old enough to remember them post Busby and pre-Ferguson. There was a considerable period of mediocrity and a spell in the old Division 2! The only thong propping them up at the moment is that brand status and "Financial Fair Play" which is preventing other clubs from doing a Man. City and going right past them.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, UniFox21 said:

I don’t think it’s a matter of time. Pep has a habit of chipping off quite regularly and whilst they are one of the best teams in the world, that alone will not project them into the ranks of Utd, Barcelona, Real Madrid. Not in my opinion anyway. They will likely fade again, maybe in 5 years, maybe in 15. Utd will always be massive. I might be wrong, I just don’t see it. There are gigantic, world famous teams, Man City just don’t belong at that table, and it’s not just about football. If it was they would be number 1 in all likelihood. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Steven said:

As a brand. I am old enough to remember them post Busby and pre-Ferguson. There was a considerable period of mediocrity and a spell in the old Division 2! The only thong propping them up at the moment is that brand status and "Financial Fair Play" which is preventing other clubs from doing a Man. City and going right past them.

United were still the biggest club in England during those bad days.

• Sad 1

3 minutes ago, ARM1968 said:

I don’t think it’s a matter of time. Pep has a habit of chipping off quite regularly and whilst they are one of the best teams in the world, that alone will not project them into the ranks of Utd, Barcelona, Real Madrid. Not in my opinion anyway. They will likely fade again, maybe in 5 years, maybe in 15. Utd will always be massive. I might be wrong, I just don’t see it. There are gigantic, world famous teams, Man City just don’t belong at that table, and it’s not just about football. If it was they would be number 1 in all likelihood. 

Football changes, why cant it happen? 

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Ashley said:

Football changes, why cant it happen? 

It can change, it would just take decades, which is why fans talking about overtaking Utd and their ilk in one, two, three seasons are mistaken.

Edited by Dahnsouff

13 minutes ago, VIKTOR-LE5 said:

United were still the biggest club in England during those bad days.

So by this logic if Man U. are playing F.C. United of Manchester in non League they are still the biggest club in England. :blink:

United fans being patronising wankers? Shit didn’t see that one coming?! 

Just feel sorry for the majority of them as they will never, ever have the connection to “their” club that we have. I’d happily see the scum go bust tomorrow, they’re an eternal shit stain on this proud footballing nation and the sooner they realise their time is up the better - about time the Glazers pulled the plug, took the cash and took lassie outside to the back yard. Let’s talk about falling in to mediocrity then, it’s happening to them right under their noses and they can’t even see it. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Steven said:

So by this logic if Man U. are playing F.C. United of Manchester in non League they are still the biggest club in England. :blink:

You tell me, United have always had this biggest fan base and attendance even when the were shit.

27 minutes ago, LinekersApples said:

That’s one view.

Another would be that’s it’s an exciting opportunity to be part of turning it around. They have the support and infrastructure and will undoubtedly come good again soon. 

I left a very secure role to join a “project” at a similar club that could’ve gone either way, but when it succeeded, my reputation enhanced and it turned out to be a good move. It’s a funny old game.

Happy that it worked out for you. There really is nothing like the energy of being a part of a group creating something special.

So much easier going to work in the morning. Even if you are throwing the dice and taking a chance.

Even failure has an upside, it just takes longer to see. Wouldn't have it any other way.

4 minutes ago, Manini said:

United fans being patronising wankers? Shit didn’t see that one coming?! 

Just feel sorry for the majority of them as they will never, ever have the connection to “their” club that we have. I’d happily see the scum go bust tomorrow, they’re an eternal shit stain on this proud footballing nation and the sooner they realise their time is up the better - about time the Glazers pulled the plug, took the cash and took lassie outside to the back yard. Let’s talk about falling in to mediocrity then, it’s happening to them right under their noses and they can’t even see it. 

Considering who they support, their not that bad, I've seen worse take the piss clubs like Huddersfield, Sunderland, and Spurs, to name a few.

Just now, VIKTOR-LE5 said:

Considering who they support, their not that bad, I've seen worse take the piss clubs like Huddersfield, Sunderland, and Spurs, to name a few.

Villa :thumbup: