Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
sylofox

Maguire to Man Utd / Man City

It’s too late for me, if we sell him now we’ve shot ourselves in the foot, because we will not replace him in that short space of time. We’ve got to be careful, because if we sell him on Friday for a few between £80-90 million, then that potentially slaps £10 million onto our potential replacement. It’s all well and good making United work for it, but we could end up just looking at the transfer money rather than spend it, and without a replacement we all of a sudden look a lot weaker.

Manchester United's pursuit of Harry Maguire threatens to go to the wire as Leicester refuse to budge on £90m fee

Harry Maguire wants to join Manchester United, but the club won't pay £90m Credit: getty images

Manchester United's pursuit of Harry Maguire is threatening to drag into the final week of the transfer window, with the club still reluctant to pay Leicester's asking price of around £90 million.

Maguire has told Leicester's board and management staff that he is keen to move to Old Trafford but at this stage United are unwilling to meet the fee demanded by Leicester.

As reported by Telegraph Sport on July 2, Leicester are seeking a world-record fee for a defender, understood to be an initial £85m plus add-ons, which would smash the £75m paid out by Liverpool for Virgil van Dijk in January last year.

Leicester informed United, and Manchester City, of the price during initial talks back in May and that figure will not be lowered or increased before the transfer deadline next Thursday.

Maguire, 26, will be cleared to leave if any club meets the valuation but as of Tuesday night, it is understood United are still some way from making any progress.

United believe Leicester's expectations are unrealistic, after having a £60m bid for the England defender turned down earlier this month.

Ole Gunnar Solskjaer has already signed Aaron Wan-Bissaka and Daniel James in this summer window and has targeted Maguire as one of his priorities ahead of his first full season as manager.

Maguire missed training on Monday with a stomach bug but returned on Tuesday and sources insist his attitude and professionalism have remained "exemplary".

Leicester say Harry Maguire's attitude and professionalism have remained "exemplary" Credit:getty images

Follow your club now for first access to all our news, views and analysis

He told Brendan Rodgers, the Leicester manager, of his desire to move to United during Leicester's pre-season training camp in France this month. 

But Maguire has played in four friendlies so far - scoring in the 3-0 win at Cambridge United - and is set to feature in the game against Atalanta on Friday night at the King Power Stadium.

1 hour ago, AKCJ said:

I agree, Ndidi is more important than Maguire. But Maguire definitely had the better season.

Our defence with Maguire is absolutely superb, definitely the best outside of Man City, Liverpool and Chelsea IMO. But Harry Maguire in Man United's back four is better than ours + Morgan/Soyuncu/Benkovic in his spot.

Fuchs isn't better than Shaw mate. I'd definley also have Lindelof over Evans, as much as I rate him.

I don’t agree with your assessment of Maguire v Ndidi even though you write your statement as if it’s fact ? Player against player rating wise I’d take our back four with or without Maguire. I guess we best agree to disagree! I’m sure there are a few closet Man U fans that will agree with you - though quite what positives you’ve taken out of Shaw’s performances last season I don’t know. Fitness issues aside, he’s not even in the England squad these days never mind warming the bench and that’s even taking in to consideration that being a top 6 player gives you a selection advantage usually with Southgate.  

12 hours ago, One Arm Babba said:

you sir are a cnut, fcuk off back to London.

What is the function of “sir” in that sentence?  lol  It's impressive, the niceties it takes for an Englishman to pick a fight.

“Don’t mind me, but your esteemed mother, sir, had congress with a very excellent goat nine months before your, may I dare say, slightly unfortunate arrival.”

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

57 minutes ago, KingsX said:

What is the function of “sir” in that sentence?  lol  It's impressive, the niceties it takes for an Englishman to pick a fight.

“Don’t mind me, but your esteemed mother, sir, had congress with a very excellent goat nine months before your, may I dare say, slightly unfortunate arrival.”

That sir is scandalous ??????

I expect there was a deadline for 80 Millon. Perhaps now it's more. But given the Bailly injuries severity they must release that we are in the driving seat. If they spunk 90 mill in the last week it'll be hilarious. 

If £90m is what we want, and we'll accept £85m + add ons, then if that's been our stance since May and we're not budging, then I believe Utd will pay up next week. They can legitimately try and haggle the price (why wouldn't you?) But there is a firm deadline for this deal.  When that starts getting close, they'll just have to pay up.

Utd desperately need a quality centre back and they now appear short on options and short on time.  Unless they sign someone else for less money, then this will happen next week IMO.