Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Nick

Demarai Gray

He doesn’t use his pace well enough. Lloyd Dyer was worse technically than Gray but he could really stretch a defence, Gray cuts inside too often and he’s not a good enough passer or dribbler to carry it off.

Edited by Stadt
  • Like 2

30 minutes ago, TJB-fox said:

Looks a completely different player for England, really direct and is a major threat going forward. Playing for us he’s far less involved higher up the pitch, attempts less take ons and is just genuinely less of a threat. For us he’s probably afraid of getting dogs abuse from our idiotic fan base so might keep things more safe.

My guess is he looks good for the U21s because he’s playing against sub par footballers. Competent full backs which he comes up against week in week out suss him out without a bother. 

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Meat and 2 veg said:

My guess is he looks good for the U21s because he’s playing against sub par footballers. Competent full backs which he comes up against week in week out suss him out without a bother. 

I probably meant his style of play differs rather than his actual contribution/overall performance. For example, he goes missing a lot for us, but for the 21’s attempts far more shots/ take ons. Obviously there are factors within that argument that will determine his style of play eg in the prem he’ll have less opportunities for shots on goal due to the better level of defending, to me he’s far more reserved at Leicester and that screams a lack of confidence potentially. Just a thought!

27 minutes ago, Stadt said:

He doesn’t use his pace well enough. Lloyd Dyer was worse technically than Gray but he could really stretch a defence, Gray cuts inside too often and he’s not a good enough passer or dribbler too carry it off.

Chalk and cheese how many of Dyers games were in the top flight?

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, HankMarvin said:

Chalk and cheese how many of Dyers games were in the top flight?

I wasn’t saying Dyer was better (although I think he would have been fine) the point is a more limited player could utilise his pace in a way Gray hasn’t. He’s quick but how many times have we seen him get in behind? Few and far between. 

Edited by Stadt
  • Like 3

On 19/06/2019 at 22:29, Bluearmyfox28 said:

This when the lad actually knocks the ball out of his feet & runs directly at any defence he looks a threat but he seems to have stopped doing that as regularly. Whether it’s fear of making a mistake I'm not sure.

I think Schluppy went though exactly the same experience.

Club has to decide whether they're going to persevere with Demarai. He has two years left on his contract.

Frankly, it should be a decision between selling him (to maximise profit) or offering a new contract if the decision is to persevere and try to improve his output.

That decision has to be made this summer.

Edited by Beechey

5 minutes ago, Beechey said:

Club has to decide whether they're going to persevere with Demarai. He has two years left on his contract.

Frankly, it should be a decision between selling him (to maximise profit) or offering a new contract if the decision is to persevere and try to improve his output.

That decision has to be made this summer.

No. It has to be made this season and Rodgers will make it. The shop window is this season. 

3 hours ago, SO1 said:

No. It has to be made this season and Rodgers will make it. The shop window is this season. 

It cannot be this upcoming season, unless we sell in January. The amount of money we will get from a player with just one year in his contract will be significantly less than a player with two years remaining.

1 hour ago, Beechey said:

It cannot be this upcoming season, unless we sell in January. The amount of money we will get from a player with just one year in his contract will be significantly less than a player with two years remaining.

Depends if he ups his own ante..!!!  It depends on the quality on offer,not the "sell by date" on a still young players contract...!!!

1 hour ago, fuchsntf said:

Depends if he ups his own ante..!!!  It depends on the quality on offer,not the "sell by date" on a still young players contract...!!!

Difficulty being if you get close to a single year remaining, the quality of offers decrease very quickly

On 20/06/2019 at 00:03, TJB-fox said:

Looks a completely different player for England, really direct and is a major threat going forward. Playing for us he’s far less involved higher up the pitch, attempts less take ons and is just genuinely less of a threat. For us he’s probably afraid of getting dogs abuse from our idiotic fan base so might keep things more safe.

He's definitely more comfortable and scores more playing the u21s. And the fan base is more than willing to jump down his throat at the slightest mistake. Anxious players are rarely well performing players.

10 hours ago, FIF said:

So it's going to be another start to the season where Leicester supporters turn on one of their own is it?

In this close season,this thread topic has become quite pathetic,on the continual social media heckling of one of our players...

and just proves how far anonymous social media criticism has gone,and how people arrogantly defend their right to have continual "hate" campaigns.

says more about the poster than the target....

On 22/06/2019 at 21:25, fuchsntf said:

Then the club has also failed....to bring that player further on...!!!

You cannot blame the club. All they can do is provide the tools and the opportunity. After that it's down to the player. That applies to any player.

Didn't Mahrez, Kante, Maguire, Maddison. Seize their opportunity.

Gray has been here longer than them and still hasn't managed to break through. 

How long does the club wait, and remember he's also filling a squad space while offering very little.

I'd well him now while we might get a decent fee for him.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Clever Fox said:

You cannot blame the club. All they can do is provide the tools and the opportunity. After that it's down to the player. That applies to any player.

Didn't Mahrez, Kante, Maguire, Maddison. Seize their opportunity.

Gray has been here longer than them and still hasn't managed to break through. 

How long does the club wait, and remember he's also filling a squad space while offering very little.

I'd well him now while we might get a decent fee for him.

The English clubs,and International managers  have history....they don't know how to bring on technical gifted players.....

Weller,Bowles,Marsh,Worthington ...Zaha ,Townsend,Gray etc. The 1st 4  had proved themselves,in their Peak,for their clubs,but no international coach knew what to do,nor how to use their skills!!!   The English league is strewn with the history of great ball players who got lost in that history...Scotland,Ireland found and used those

Wizz-kids,a lot easier,unfortunately they had no quality teammates to support them... Then somehow time caught Ireland,Scotland on the hop,they haven't

Produced potential stars for over 20+ years

even Sterling is struggling  PEP pulled him through & has helped him,but he's being regularly played out of position in the Int. Set-up!!!

If Weller & Worthington played today,even the fans would be criticising them for lack of defending,though both were good when tracking back...

look!!! after the title   we and Ranieri expected too much of Mahrez!!!

You are quite right with talented players in those days, especially the early names mentioned.

I had one such player play for me and an International Manager told me to My face that he wouldn't play him, Despite also saying he was the best player he had in the position. But also said he was looking for someone bigger, meaning a 6 footer.

These players have to be indulged, like we did with Mahrez. Usually their contribution on the Ball outweighs their lack of commitment elsewhere.

However, while Gray shows promise , he doesn't possess the level of skill to begin to compare him with any of the names above. There lies the dilemma. Barnes continues to improve while Gray huffs and puffs and offers very little. The one area he has improved I'd his defensive duties.

I'd sooner see us give Ghezzel a real chance or sign a green young player with similar attributes and nurse them on.