Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Nick

Demarai Gray

1 hour ago, Tuna said:

I don't get the desire to get rid of him, he's part of the squad. I'd rather have him on the bench than Ghezzal or Diabate.

I agree.  He could still potentially come good.  Squad/team wise we need to improve our options in midfield and attack.  I currently see us as having a solid squad of only about 15.  Hopefully,  Tielmans will sign.

Schmeichell, Ward

Perreira, Amartey, Chilwell, Fuchs, Maguire, Evans, Soyuncu, Benkovic

Ndidi, Choudhary, Henry, 

Maddison, Barnes, Gray, Albrighton

Vardy

We have adequate to back up  Gray should stay.  Hopefully we sign a couple more.  Others like Morgan could still be part of the squad

26 minutes ago, majaco said:

I agree.  He could still potentially come good.  Squad/team wise we need to improve our options in midfield and attack.  I currently see us as having a solid squad of only about 15.  Hopefully,  Tielmans will sign.

Schmeichell, Ward

Ndidi, Choudhary, Henry, 

Vardy

We have adequate to back up  Gray should stay.  Hopefully we sign a couple more.  Others like Morgan could still be part of the squad

First signing? Va va voom

• Haha 1

Good to hear he's not completely satisfied with himself. He always seems very content with how he's doing which is a large part of my frustrations with him. The other being he has no end product. Would love him to actually develop this season but I'm not holding my breath.

54 minutes ago, majaco said:

Schmeichell, Ward

Ndidi, Choudhary, Henry

Vardy

I'd be happy with this, scored a great goal against South Korea the other day...

image.png.9b9367424cde3fa52b82e2c70d0a22c5.png

I think he was spot on in that interview and has shown good maturity to critique his game in the way that he did. I think he did push on last season even if his numbers don't reflect that. I think his defensive work and general work rate was much improved, a lot less shying away from tackles and a lot more tracking. Also his passing has improved, the number of passes he makes, the quality of pass, if he could take the composure he demonstrates in the middle 3rd of the pitch into the final 3rd he could be quite deadly rather than getting a hard on and trying to replicate that goal against United from a couple of years ago every time he gets near the box. We've seen what Puel gave him with added composure on the ball, now let's see what Rodgers can do with a preseason to make him lethal in front of goal.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, cal21212121 said:

Also his passing has improved, the number of passes he makes, the quality of pass

But he still got a solitary assist. Even Iheanacho managed 3, Chilwell 4 and Pereira 6. He doesn’t create enough which would be fine if he scored regularly which he doesn’t 

• Like 2

I’ve certainly not been his biggest fan but he does have the right attributes/ability to do well. Above all, it is his decision making that has hampered his progress.

BR has a reputation for improving players and Demarai is a prime candidate to really benefit from being managed by him.

I expect Gray to have a much better season in 19-20 and if he doesn’t we really should move him on. 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Stadt said:

But he still got a solitary assist. Even Iheanacho managed 3, Chilwell 4 and Pereira 6. He doesn’t create enough which would be fine if he scored regularly which he doesn’t 

I agree, I continue in the same sentence to say he has to be able to do it in the final third now 

32 minutes ago, Wymeswold fox said:

He's quite a mystery, really.

He's got the potential to excel, but never seems to learn from his past mistakes.

Sums him up perfectly. Sometimes I think he tries too hard and just needs to relax. Maybe that has to do with the fact that we seem to have a different manager every season he's been here. This season is definitely make or break. 

• Like 1

He has a reasonable touch and turn of pace but as  made a lot of poor decisions in matches.

Dont know where to go or where he should be going forward. Should play on the right so he can bomb on and then occasionally switch sides.Its make or break this season for him.

.Lets hope he proves us all wrong.

Edited by cropstonfox

6 hours ago, Nod.E said:

Don't think he means work rate on the pitch. That's a prerequisite. You don't get picked at this level if you're not putting a shift in.

There is no acknowledgement that to improve, he will need to knuckle down on the training field, identifying weaknesses and working on them until it benefits those elements of his game. 

Of course I don't know the guy, but I just don't imagine him to have the humility to listen to areas of improvement and put in the hard graft to put it right.

Say what you like about that being an assumption, but his decision making hasn't shown any sign of improving in over two seasons with us. Proof is in the pudding.

This is exactly what I meant. It's about working on positioning and understanding your team mates not just doing the leg work, which I agree has improved.  Chilwell has been fortunate in having an excellent mentor in Fuchs hence why his development has been quicker

I wonder how many wingers in the Premiership are prolific scorers? Are there many?  How much do they cost? Outside of a clubs main striker where do their second source of goals come from, I'd suggest it's most likely a second striker if they play one or a midfielder. We do seem a little obsessed with Albrighton and Gray not scoring goals yet the former adds so much more to our overall team performance.

Wingers used to be more considered for their trickyness and crossing abilities though the more modern game I accept  has gone more the way of playing them on their non natural side in order to cut inside and shoot ala Marhez etc. Perhaps Marhez players in reality are quite rare their premium price tends to denote that. Albrighton is never going to be prolific but I'd have him into my team all day long. Gray is a bit different and probably isn't a natural winger I'm not sure. I do personally think there are aspects of his game that have improved though he can be inconsistent. Unlike Nacho though for example, I do see in Gray over the last year inject huge amounts of effort to improve in his all round contribution is tackling back and movement off the ball. Unlike Nacho,  I see a young lad who Rodgers just might be able to improve and therefore at this moment in time I personally feel it's worth keeping him around.

Edited by volpeazzurro
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, volpeazzurro said:

I wonder how many wingers in the Premiership are prolific scorers? Are there many?  How much do they cost? Outside of a clubs main striker where do they're second source of goals come from, I'd suggest it's most likely a second striker if they play one or a midfielder. We do seem a little obsessed with Albrighton and Gray not scoring goals yet the former adds so much more to our overall team performance.

Wingers used to be more considered for their trickyness and crossing abilities though the more modern game has gone more the way of playing them on their non natural side in order to cut inside and shoot ala Marhez etc. Perhaps Marhez players in reality are quite rare their premium price tends to denote that. Albrighton is never going to be prolific but I'd have him into my team all day long. Gray is a bit different and probably isn't a natural winger I'm not sure. I do personally think there are aspects of his game that have improved though he can be inconsistent. Unlike Nacho though for example, I do see in Gray over the last year inject huge amounts of effort to improve in his all round contribution is tackling back and movement off the ball. Unlike Nacho,  I see a young lad who Rodgers just might be able to improve and therefore at this moment in time I personally feel it's worth keeping him around.

In the PL last year:

Deulofeu - 10 goals, 5 assists

Jota - 9 goals, 5 assists

Anderson - 9 goals, 4 assists

Fraser - 7 goals, 14 assists

Brooks - 7 goals, 5 assists

Richarlison - 13 goals, 2 assists

Those are the sort of numbers we need our wingers to be producing if we want to finish 7th or above. 

Ryan Sessegnon has 8 goal contributions, despite having a poor season and playing for Fulham. Gray has 5 goal contributions.

I’d be fine with keeping Gray if he had other skillsets such as an ability to create chances, positional awareness or made intelligent runs in behind. Truth is the only assets he has is his pace and dribbling ability. The same as Schlupp. Jeff is 26 now and is still the same player as he was when he first got his chance with us. In my opinion, based on the evidence we have seen, the same will happen with Gray.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Shane said:

In the PL last year:

Deulofeu - 10 goals, 5 assists

Jota - 9 goals, 5 assists

Anderson - 9 goals, 4 assists

Fraser - 7 goals, 14 assists

Brooks - 7 goals, 5 assists

Richarlison - 13 goals, 2 assists

Those are the sort of numbers we need our wingers to be producing if we want to finish 7th or above. 

Ryan Sessegnon has 8 goal contributions, despite having a poor season and playing for Fulham. Gray has 5 goal contributions.

I’d be fine with keeping Gray if he had other skillsets such as an ability to create chances, positional awareness or made intelligent runs in behind. Truth is the only assets he has is his pace and dribbling ability. The same as Schlupp. Jeff is 26 now and is still the same player as he was when he first got his chance with us. In my opinion, based on the evidence we have seen, the same will happen with Gray.

Even Townsend has better goal contributions than Gray

11 hours ago, tylesta said:

He's a player that needs to get his head up in certain positions. Can be way to greedy to many occasions last season he could of played a simple pass and shot. Needs to become more of a team player 

He reminds me of Zaha except when Zahas greedy he usually does something 

7 hours ago, fuchsntf said:

I would like him to take that 2nd striker 

Role,with Vardy.....

Obviously you just don't lob him in,

He should be coached, coaxed, and be given targets...and expected movement

K.Weller made that move & that worked,but yes he was a natural..

He was always involved in the play,even in an off day..

Even Zaha & Townsend go missing,Under Hodgson ( a good coach)

They have improved their purpose..and I am sure of they drift,they get a "bollocking"...These type of players are

Players that shine over the season,but not in every game,maybe only 3rd of the season...but in clubs like,Palace,Leicester,Watford....they have their moments in their roles,and the fans take to them..

Then you find gems like Sancho & Sterling .....But no top Emglish- coach know what To do with them..!!!:dunno:

Exception...BVB, Gardiola,Bayern,Barca, R.Madrid,Juve.!!

Even Sarri struggled. with Hazard.