Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Nick

Demarai Gray

...is it possible that Rodgers would off load Ghezzal instead of Gray!

Gray features for the England U21 and has been successful and that may just sway Rodgers to try to get more out of him. Taking Ghezzal off the books frees up the wages bill and money for a new winger.

I understand Tielemans will be priority but it would be good if the budget could stretch to a Leon Bailey or a David Neres. We need someone who can compete at the top level and i am not convinced Championship players are the answer as they are not proven and could need a season to adjust, we are looking to go to the next level, getting the aforementioned players would show our intent. 

23 hours ago, HighPeakFox said:

The Leicester way - pick out the stats that back up your premise, and ignore all the stats that don't.

Sorry - not trying to be personal, but I think yesterday proved that Murphy's Law doesn't exist.

Yes it does.

Murphy's law is the whole of the law.

• 1 month later...

A few comments from Gray here: https://inews.co.uk/sport/football/leicester-city-news-demarai-gray-goals-assists-england-u21/

Leicester City news: Demarai Gray gives frank assessment of his progress
The young winger is away at the U21 Euros this summer with England and is determined to return to the King Power a better player

Demarai Gray admits he must improve, after conceding that his season for Leicester City was no more than “OK”.

The winger, who is preparing with England for the European Under-21 Championship, managed just one assist last season and four goals.

“It was just OK,” said Gray when asked to critique his own season. “I wanted to achieve more, but at the same time I did improve and learned things about different aspects of my game.

“My numbers – my goals and assists – need to improve. I might get a bit of criticism for that but I know it myself.

“I’m 22 and am still improving and I have a lot of improving to do. I know it will come.”

More responsibility
Despite his frank assessment of his own performances at club level, Gray can expect to play a key role in Aidy Boothroyd’s plans for this summer’s tournament in Italy and San Marino.

As one of the squad’s senior players, it will be the former Birmingham man’s final chance to help the under-21s claim an elusive major trophy.

“I have more responsibility now, but I like that,” he said.

“I’ll be helping the young lads who are coming through. They know what is involved but this tournament is different. It is a proper tournament – similar to what you see with the seniors, and a completely different ball game to the qualifiers and friendlies.

“One mistake, or moment of sloppiness, and it’s over, the Euros is gone. It’s big.

“France is the first game and they are probably a team that is on our level. I see that game as a final, to be honest.

“We need to win that game. There is no time to ease your way into this tournament.”

One thing missing from his comments - the recognition that he needs to work hard.  Feels like he's expecting improvement to land in his lap and lets face it, work rate isn't exactly one of his biggest assets on the pitch

Edited by huggybear
  • Like 1

15 minutes ago, huggybear said:

One thing missing from his comments - the recognition that he needs to work hard.  Feels like he's expecting improvement to land in his lap and lets face it, work rate isn't exactly one of his biggest assets on the pitch

:frusty:

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, huggybear said:

Completely disagree. I think over the last 2 seasons his work rate has drastically improved. 

1 hour ago, mancunianfox said:

He is the worst  backup, his contract can't be that much and he has two years left.  it Does make sense to sell, we still need squad players too.

Sorted that for you :)

Edited by Bozman
typo
  • Haha 4

23 minutes ago, henrik_62 said:

How much did he cost initially?  Was it around £7-8m, if so I'd imagine you'd probably get that back and maybe a little bit more from a lower EPL/Championship club.  I'd definitely be selling if so.

It was about £4mil maximum. We did get him very cheap.

Times up for me as well personally. This summer's the one to sell.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, M0901 said:

Completely disagree. I think over the last 2 seasons his work rate has drastically improved. 

Don't think he means work rate on the pitch. That's a prerequisite. You don't get picked at this level if you're not putting a shift in.

There is no acknowledgement that to improve, he will need to knuckle down on the training field, identifying weaknesses and working on them until it benefits those elements of his game. 

Of course I don't know the guy, but I just don't imagine him to have the humility to listen to areas of improvement and put in the hard graft to put it right.

Say what you like about that being an assumption, but his decision making hasn't shown any sign of improving in over two seasons with us. Proof is in the pudding.

Edited by Nod.E
  • Like 1

45 minutes ago, henrik_62 said:

How much did he cost initially?  Was it around £7-8m, if so I'd imagine you'd probably get that back and maybe a little bit more from a lower EPL/Championship club.  I'd definitely be selling if so.

We paid around £5m. We had an offer of £25m from Bournemouth a couple of summers ago, which we turned down, unfortunately that ship has probably sailed now. His current value to us as purely a bench/backup player is probably still £10-15m minimum though.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Tuna said:

I don't get the desire to get rid of him, he's part of the squad. I'd rather have him on the bench than Ghezzal or Diabate.

But that's like saying you should stick with your 4/10 girlfriend because you've only ever shagged rotters.

Get yourself a nice hair cut, buy yourself some Paco Rabanne, get on the vodkas and see if you can do a bit better.

Christ, such a negative attitude to have.

• Like 1

If we sell him next season with only one season on his contract, that's quite frankly dumb. We're banking on huge improvement this coming season so he either stays here, or we can sell for an ok price. If he just does "ok" again, his value plummets with twin aspects of the waste of another year of development and the fact that he only had anther year on the contract.

• Like 1