Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
StanSP

Cricket 2019

4 minutes ago, Bobby Hundreds said:

Tom Banton looks a real star in red and white ball from what I've seen. He's young but so was Alistair Cook!

Banton and Sibley both need to be worked into the test side.

The likes of Curran, Crane and Archer have all been in at a similar age. If you're good enough, you're old enough. 

We need to stopcloggin up the order with too many players who you look at and say "he can hold a bat" and talking like it's a big positive that we've got players like Buttler in at 7.

The only man I trust to put together an innings right now is Stokes. the others all look like getting themselves out.

Genuine question, not being facetious, for all the comments about captaincy - how much can the captain really be held responsible for the batting being shit? He's not out at the crease with them. 

I read a couple of interesting tweets over the last two days. 

One pointed out that Ricky Ponting was with the Aussies through the world cup when Warner was smashing it, was absent for the start of this series and Warner was failing, came back for this test and Warner has improved. 

The second, earlier today, pointed out that Australia have Waugh, Ponting and Langer up on their balcony and England have Chris Silverwood. They went on to bemoan that all of England's great players are in the commentary box on Sky or BBC. 

How much is England genuinely lacking in quality coaching compared to top nations and is that more cultural (nobody wants to coach) or financial (not offering attractive wages to ex players.) 

Edited by Finnegan

2 minutes ago, AKCJ said:

Banton and Sibley both need to be worked into the test side.

The likes of Curran, Crane and Archer have all been in at a similar age. If you're good enough, you're old enough. 

We need to stopcloggin up the order with too many players who you look at and say "he can hold a bat" and talking like it's a big positive that we've got players like Buttler in at 7.

The only man I trust to put together an innings right now is Stokes. the others all look like getting themselves out.

I would argue that Curran (possibly) and Crane (certainly) aren’t good enough for test cricket though 

Just now, Finnegan said:

Genuine question, not being facetious, for all the comments about captaincy - how much can the captain really be held responsible for the batting being shit? He's not out at the crease with them. 

Australia have always targeted the captain. It's why we didn't have the urn for 18 years. Vaughan, Strauss and Cook all learned to stand up to it, it's sets the tone and can help massively in winning a match in the Ashes. Root hasn't been up to it and the rest of the team have followed.

3 minutes ago, Finnegan said:

One pointed out that Ricky Ponting was with the Aussies through the world cup when Warner was smashing it, was absent for the start of this series and failing, came back for this test and Warner has improved. 

The second, earlier today, pointed out that Australia have Waugh, Ponting and Langer up on their balcony and England have Chris Silverwood. They went on to bemoan that all of England's great players are in the commentary box on Sky or BBC. 

How much is England genuinely lacking in quality coaching compared to top nations and is that more cultural (nobody wants to coach) or financial (not offering attractive wages to ex players.) 

Regarding the captaincy you are right, it was mentioned on the KP story a number of teams that Cricket is a team game played by individuals. He can't physically stop someone playing a daft shot but maybe he needs to be harsher with them, rather than the usual "that's how he plays" stuff. I don't even know how much role the captain has in picking the side too, I'm sure I read Cook saying that he was involved in discussions but never really had final say on selection.

You make a good point about the coaches too, who is the last ex-player to go into coaching? I can't think of any at top of my head. Especially in terms of batting, I think Paul Collingwood is around the team now but he wasn't an opening batsmen. Would be great to Trescothick involved somewhere, but he won't go on tour, Strauss went straight to the executive jobs, can see Cook doing something similar.

been in a meeting all morning at work so not had a chance to catch up. Was a bad meeting so came out and thought I'd cheer myself up to see how we were doing....

FFS!

Was hoping to finish work early and get home, open a beer and watch the cricket... don't think I'll bother now!

10 minutes ago, surrifox said:

I would argue that Curran (possibly) and Crane (certainly) aren’t good enough for test cricket though 

Agreed with Crane, I think (Sam) Curran will get there though (just needs to work out his position in the side).

More to do with the fact they were given the opportunity.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Finnegan said:

Said this last week. I think it makes a huge difference.

On 17/08/2019 at 16:59, Izzy said:

Sick of this shit. The Aussies have the voodoo sign over us.

Man for man they're no better than us but Langer, Ponting & Waugh up on the balcony make the difference.

Mental toughness.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Finnegan said:

One pointed out that Ricky Ponting was with the Aussies through the world cup when Warner was smashing it, was absent for the start of this series and Warner was failing, came back for this test and Warner has improved. 

Not sure the Warner/Ponting thing is of any significance in terms of his innings yesterday. Warner was just fortunate enough not to nick any of the millions of balls he played and missed at in the first hour yesterday.