Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Lincs sam

Drinkwater Charged with Drink Driving

10 minutes ago, Col city fan said:

If he had confidence in his own ability to move to a ‘bigger club’, he severely misjudged that then!

:doh:

Yes he did, I'd rather test myself though than staying in my comfort zone and regretting not trying. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Babylon said:

Yes he did, I'd rather test myself though than staying in my comfort zone and regretting not trying. 

Although it could be said about the other way around.

For example, Steven Gerrard said he had turned down many attempts from other big European clubs to stay at Liverpool in order to try and make the club win another trophy or two during the latter stages of his playing career.

With that decision, he very nearly helped them win the PL, had he not unfortunately slipped that led to Chelsea's Demba Ba scoring in the process - and making Liverpool lose the game (a club managed by Rodgers) that led to them agonisingly losing out on the league title..

Edited by Wymeswold fox

9 minutes ago, Wymeswold fox said:

Although it could be said about the other way around.

For example, Steven Gerrard said he had turned down many attempts from other big European clubs to stay at Liverpool in order to try and make the club win another trophy or two during the latter stages of his playing career.

With that decision, he very nearly helped them win the PL, had he not unfortunately slipped that led to Chelsea's Demba Ba scoring in the process - and making Liverpool lose the game (a club managed by Rodgers) that led to them agonisingly losing out on the league title..

Steven Gerrard was winning Champions Leagues at Liverpool and numerous other cups. 

Funny how quick people are to turn on a bloke who did so much for us. People still holding the Chelsea move against him ffs, so what if he left to go to Chelsea? I’m sure the vast majority of our players now would do the same. Had a taste of champions league footy here and wanted more of it there. Not worked out for him and there’s no doubt he’ll have regrets but hindsight is brilliant ain’t it. Shame  the clairvoyants in this thread didn’t warn him before he left.

Drink driving is daft and he deserves punishment for it. Hope he sorts himself out and leaves Chelsea ASAP.

Edited by Goober
  • Like 2

Reality is Drinkwater was carried by Kante. He then had a decent 6 months spell in our CL season. That's all I remember from his 5 seasons here. He is lucky Matty James suffered a serious injury that kept him out for 2 years because he was behind him in the pecking order.

You can tell I was never a huge fan of his. Even peak Drinkwater wouldn't get into our current side.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, StriderHiryu said:

I think Chelsea will use this to terminate his contract if he's proven guilty, which he probably will be.

Might not be the worst thing for him though. It would free him up and he could join a newly promoted side or similar and start working hard again. He needs to get back to what made him a success at Leicester in the first place, which was buckling down and giving it his all every week. 

It's really frustrating when you see this happen to professional footballers. I am sure many of us would dream of being good enough to play in the Premier League, and here is another example of someone flitting their opportunities away. 

When they've got a murderer at wing-back I'd be suprised. Think they'd give Fred West game that lot...

16 minutes ago, Kalacs_Orthopedic_Shoe said:

When they've got a murderer at wing-back I'd be suprised. Think they'd give Fred West game that lot...

That was before he was at Chelsea I believe (Alonso). It's just obvious they will not be able to sell Drinkwater so I can see them using it as an excuse. And at the end of the day it's not their fault Drinkwater did this.

8 minutes ago, StriderHiryu said:

That was before he was at Chelsea I believe (Alonso). It's just obvious they will not be able to sell Drinkwater so I can see them using it as an excuse. And at the end of the day it's not their fault Drinkwater did this.

I know he wasn't with the club when it happend, I'm just saying with their reputatition it would be hilarious if they did terminate his contract.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, Koke said:

Reality is Drinkwater was carried by Kante. He then had a decent 6 months spell in our CL season. That's all I remember from his 5 seasons here. He is lucky Matty James suffered a serious injury that kept him out for 2 years because he was behind him in the pecking order.

You can tell I was never a huge fan of his. Even peak Drinkwater wouldn't get into our current side.

he wouldn't fit in the midfield we are playing now, he would be a good alternate to Jorginho there but hasn't had a look, shows what Sarri thinks of him

5 hours ago, fox_up_north said:

This isn't a million miles away from me. I note the BBC article says he lives in Alderley, Cheshire which is about as far as you can get from Chelsea.

Just shows how much he's valued if he lives up the other end of the country. Is he even turning up for training? 

Absolute waste to see that this is what it's come to. 

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-manchester-47864761

His registered address might be up North but on his instagram he seems to be living in London 

1 hour ago, Babylon said:

I dont think he ever liked us as a fanbase. The ear cupping went on for a good year. He never seemed to forgive us for calling out just how bad the attitudes of the players were that season where Nige had to sort us out.

Then as soon as he got the chance he left us. Vardys interview at the time was very open about it. He named all the midfielders they have ahead of him and how hard it will be for him. You don't usually openly say stuff like that about a successful departing team mate. Bet drinky was first in line to beg Vardy to stay when Arsenal came knocking.

Sounds as if he didn't leave the club on good terms either by forcing the "dream move". 

Cant say i have much sympathy with him.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, StriderHiryu said:

Nope I don't think so, but given Chelsea are about to hit a transfer ban and the player has not been in the plans of the last two coaches, this might be a unique situation. It depends on the contract the player has with the club:

As usual with these issues the answer is never quite as simple and an employer would like.  The simple bit is that if your errant member of staff has a job that requires them to drive and if the driving conviction means that they are banned from driving, then you have grounds to dismiss them if you wish because they are unable to do their job.  This would apply to the travelling sales person, or the delivery driver or similar job.  If you don’t want to dismiss them then you will have to make sure they can do the job some other way, or change their job specification to get them doing something else.

If their job doesn’t require them to drive and they can still get themselves to work then there may be no need to dismiss them.  

But if your employment contract states that committing a criminal offense is grounds for dismissal then you would still have a reason to dismiss them.

Even then it is also possible to dismiss someone for their conduct outside of work if it has a bearing on their job i.e. if it “affects the employment relationship”.  For example, in the case of drink driving if the person was training or managing people who were drivers for the company you could make a case that it was setting a bad example within the company and so was grounds for dismissal.

It won’t happen because they won’t want to set a  precedent, it’s ok terminating Drinkwater’s contract but if Hazard drink drives a week later you’ve created yourself a massive problem plus you’ve invested 25 million into him, best they can hope for is to ship him out on loan and he shows enough form that someone wants to buy him.

4 hours ago, That_Dude said:

The problem was that he never was going to cut it when you see the midfield they had. He already had some shit seasons with us and Chelsea never saw him more than a back-up player (english player quota must be filed).

Still feel sorry for him and hope he'll leave Chelsea for a club where he can thrive again.

I don't particularly disagree with that but as a player, you would believe you can force your way in especially when the buying club is happy to spend silly money to get you. He also probably thought it was a way to get into the England side regularly even playing the odd game here and there, which happened a lot more back then than it does now.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Babylon said:

I think this is actual bollox. I’m pretty sure he knew his limitations and went primarily for financial reasons. A la the bulk of footballers.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Koke said:

He was great in the Championship-winning team too.

I have sympathy for his situation around not playing but there is no excuse for drink-driving and glad no-one was seriously injured.

1 hour ago, foxestalkisfullofidiots said:

His registered address might be up North but on his instagram he seems to be living in London 

Think some people are struggling with the fact he has more than 1 address lol

He's from the Manchester area, he was building a big house there when he was our player which I'm sure he sees as his long term home. 

Obviously he has some digs near Chelsea also.

I never get the "he's backed himself to do well". He's never been a top 6 midfielder, the man is known for having alternative good/bad seasons. You need to be consistently class. Ricardo I'd fancy to move to a better team and cement a place, he consistently looks class.

He was earning plenty with us and didn't have to move. I'm glad he did as he's clearly been struggling with fitness and we received a stupid price for him. On his day he's a solid combative midfielder, but he was never worth what we sold him for.

1 hour ago, Col city fan said:

I think this is actual bollox. I’m pretty sure he knew his limitations and went primarily for financial reasons. A la the bulk of footballers.

Disagree strongly. I’m struggling to think of many footballers what leave solely on financial reasons. He was getting paid incredibly well by ourselves. To improve yourself as a sportsman you need a challenge and you need to rate yourself. Drinkwater tried that. He’s failed. But there’s no what ifs for the lad in his career. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Cardiff_Fox said:

Disagree strongly. I’m struggling to think of many footballers what leave solely on financial reasons. He was getting paid incredibly well by ourselves. To improve yourself as a sportsman you need a challenge and you need to rate yourself. Drinkwater tried that. He’s failed. But there’s no what ifs for the lad in his career. 

you also need to have a brain and pick the right opportunity, Chelsea was never that, everyone was saying it at the time, he'd have been better suited to an Arsenal or Spurs

1 hour ago, Babylon said:

I suppose VVD went to Liverpool for money and Mane. Or Maddison left Norwich and came to us for money, or Shaw went to United for money, or Mahrez to Man City. Or is that different just because it worked? Now that's actual bollox.

Man on Internet knows inside players head and uses that "knowledge" to slag them off. lol

Would ANY of the aforementioned players left their parent clubs if they’d have been offered less money to do so? I know it’s hypothetical but would they have gone in search of bigger things and taken a salary cut? I don’t think so?

You're naive if you don’t believe a footballer’s primary motive is what they can earn. Their are some footballers who openly state they don’t even like the game. To them, it’s just a job, pure and simple.

I don’t get it personally. If I was Drinkwater, let’s say earning 100k per week at City and playing I’d stay earning 100 k per week and stay rather than move to Chelsea for 150k per week and probably not play. 

But they all talk and get quietly (sometimes vociferously) peeved when they look over and see somebody earning a lot more than they do. I always wondered whether this was one of the reasons Cambiclasso wasn’t particularly popular amongst his team mates? When he was near ever present in a team who spent three quarters of a season rooted at the bottom of the division, I doubt what he was earning went down particularly well? Because I’d be surprised if he wasn’t earning more than James, Drinkwater et al.