Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Lincs sam

Drinkwater Charged with Drink Driving

25 minutes ago, Jimmy said:

you also need to have a brain and pick the right opportunity, Chelsea was never that, everyone was saying it at the time, he'd have been better suited to an Arsenal or Spurs

But they never came in for him.

Chelsea were shockingly short in centre midfield at the time as well. Kante, Fabregas, Bakayogo. 

9 hours ago, Babylon said:

Pearson always used to say he was a challenging player to manage, perhaps this is a peak into that. Lack of motivation, partying etc. Pearson perhaps had to be on him all the time to keep him on the ball. 

...I always felt he was a bit introverted and needed to come out of his shell. I have never met the guy, but from clips of the players in training, you just get that feeling.Perhaps Pearson felt the challenge was to make him believe in himself more and step up and show some leadership, as in the position he played, he needed to dictate more and pull players in line, if he had to. I still feel the Cambiaso season was Pearson giving him a front row seat in how to run a team as he saw Drinky as a long term fixture of which the team would be built.

I am a big Drinky fan, love to have him back as perhaps back up to Tielemans but without the injury problems he has experienced. Obviously not paying the same fee he is currently getting at Chelsea and should we get 7th and qualify for Europa then, this would be ideal for the Europa legs.

The fact that he is making poor choices like this suggest that his environment is perhaps not where he needs to be and I don't see Sarri as an arm around the shoulder kind of guy.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Goober said:

Funny how quick people are to turn on a bloke who did so much for us. People still holding the Chelsea move against him ffs, so what if he left to go to Chelsea? I’m sure the vast majority of our players now would do the same. Had a taste of champions league footy here and wanted more of it there. Not worked out for him and there’s no doubt he’ll have regrets but hindsight is brilliant ain’t it. Shame  the clairvoyants in this thread didn’t warn him before he left.

Drink driving is daft and he deserves punishment for it. Hope he sorts himself out and leaves Chelsea ASAP.

..to be honest, nearly every poster in the Danny Drinkwater going to Chelsea called it exactly!!

Sad to say,it was inevitable. I personally felt this was a chance he felt he could not let pass him by.

6 hours ago, Gamble92 said:

I dont think he ever liked us as a fanbase. The ear cupping went on for a good year. He never seemed to forgive us for calling out just how bad the attitudes of the players were that season where Nige had to sort us out.

Then as soon as he got the chance he left us. Vardys interview at the time was very open about it. He named all the midfielders they have ahead of him and how hard it will be for him. You don't usually openly say stuff like that about a successful departing team mate. Bet drinky was first in line to beg Vardy to stay when Arsenal came knocking.

Sounds as if he didn't leave the club on good terms either by forcing the "dream move". 

Cant say i have much sympathy with him.

Interesting. I'd love to read what he said, do you have a link for this interview?

9 hours ago, Anglodanglo said:

Interesting. I'd love to read what he said, do you have a link for this interview?

I've just had a look and cant find it. He basically listed all the central midfielders ahead of Drinkwater and said he will find it difficult to get ahead of them. He was kind of responding the grass isnt always greener to a question about whether he regrets not moving because Drinkwater has.

10 hours ago, Suzie the Fox said:

Happy af we got £35m for him at the time and what he has done since he has played/been there, does not bother me. I always like to read about ex players and their antics but thats as far as i care. 

I'm happy we got £35m for him, effectively what we will have to pay for Tielemans a few years later. Or the £34m profit we made on him wipes out the loss we will make of Slimani and Silva there or thereabouts. Great business lol

• Like 4

I don't blame him for leaving at all, he maybe should have realised he was never going to make it at Chelsea given their midfield options but how many players are going say to themselves that they are not good enough? I believe he had confidence that he would play some part, even if it wasn't starting every week. Badly advised by his agent too who just seen a big cut for himself.

I do have sympathy for him about the Chelsea move not working out but he should be more desperate to get out. It would be hard for someone to buy him but should be out on loan at least but a club would need to be willing to pay percentage of his wages. Anywhere would be better than what he is doing now, I actually hope he is just being a mercenary and taking his money while he as it until his contract runs down, rather than there being anything more sinister with his mental state. 

I have no anger towards him, part of a legend side and I hope he sorts his life/career out. 

• Like 2

I don't get all the judgemental angry comments. Most good players move on at some point. He gave us good service and I feel his contribution at times was critical in us being where we are today. Thanks Danny D.

It's just bloody sad and a waste on so many levels. On a professional and personal level.

Should have gone to Euro France instead of Crappy Whilshire. I blame Woy for everything!!

3 hours ago, Babylon said:

You're completely twisting the argument. You're the one basically saying he's greedy for going Chelsea, when there are dozens of other perfectly legitimate reasons for wanting to go to a team who has won the league and champions league and FA cup plenty of times. 

So every footballer is greedy then eh. 

He didn't know he wouldn't play, he was one of our best players and a title winner, being reunited with a player he dominated the league with and had got a club willing to spend big money on him. He's not going to be sat there thinking they are just buying him to put the cones out. 

Nobody but Drinkwater knows what his primary motivation is, not you, not me and probably not some of his closest friends. So just labelling ahim and any other player that moves to a bigger club and happens to earn more money as a consequence on moving on to bigger and better things is nonsensical. 

Have to agree with that tbf

Fookin clever clogs...

:)

• Like 4

17 hours ago, Cardiff_Fox said:

But they never came in for him.

Chelsea were shockingly short in centre midfield at the time as well. Kante, Fabregas, Bakayogo. 

And it was clear that he'd never start ahead of one of them at that time (Bakayoko came directly from Monaco where he had a terrific season before turning into shit). They bought him as a back-up and there's no way he didn't know that. He didn't get much of a sniff under Conté. Barkley pushed him further down the pecking order in January 2018 and the arrival of Kovacic and Jorginho was his death warrant. Sarri showed him the door as soon as he came.

The lad's got no future there. Best for his career is to part ways as soon as possible.

Edited by That_Dude

To put everything into playing again, he’ll surely have to accept a buyout, and rebuild his game in the lower half of the Championship.  He’d have to be really committed to that path not only to give up the cash, but to handle the pressure of media and fans picking him apart.  Because despite his high profile, he’s not going to immediately play well with a body compromised by injury and two years of rust.  Nor would he get the minutes he needs in a side competing for promotion.

If he wants to ride out his contract -- rational economic behavior -- he won’t sniff the pitch.  His task will be to come to terms with who he is: a well-off, retired footballer.  To use his means to help build an identity he can be happy with.  Somebody worth something to himself, his family, society.  The message he gets today from his employer, the media, and the envious everyman is just the opposite: that he is a detestable, wage-stealing kind of worthless.  An image he is now reinforcing with self-destructive actions.  Less than three years after mass adulation. 

I don’t feel sorry for DD.  He demanded the right to set himself on this road.  I just feel some empathy that any way forward for him will be difficult.  Whether or not he ever plays another PL match, I hope he gets off the sauce and takes responsibility for his future.