Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Happy Fox

The Race for 7th

Right, I dont reckon our players want Europa league. Imagine you are at work tomorrow - for those of you daft buggers still working! - and your boss calls a meeting. "Look" he says "if you lot work really hard, we can pull off this European contract. It'll mean you lot missing half your summer holidays, and you wont get a penny more for it, but it will reflect really good on us as a company"

Now convert that to our players. Instead of going on their holidays on 13th May until half way through July, they get a couple of weeks off, then start training again for some qualifying game in Lithuania. And as they are paid an amount per year, it doesnt matter to them if they are playing or not. What would you do? After all, to most of them its just a job.

Cant blame them for jacking the season in now, I bloody would.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, steveherbe said:

Right, I dont reckon our players want Europa league. Imagine you are at work tomorrow - for those of you daft buggers still working! - and your boss calls a meeting. "Look" he says "if you lot work really hard, we can pull off this European contract. It'll mean you lot missing half your summer holidays, and you wont get a penny more for it, but it will reflect really good on us as a company"

Now convert that to our players. Instead of going on their holidays on 13th May until half way through July, they get a couple of weeks off, then start training again for some qualifying game in Lithuania. And as they are paid an amount per year, it doesnt matter to them if they are playing or not. What would you do? After all, to most of them its just a job.

They are competitive athletes so having that attitude is difficult ..... however, that small percentage that makes the difference was lacking on Friday night. Unless something happens at West Ham on Saturday to fire them up then could be more of the same. Funnily enough, the last three games will see that extra effort return as games against the big six just do that. 

1 hour ago, steveherbe said:

cant really compare normal work to what footballers do can you? i'd imagine most of them have at least some ambition. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, steveherbe said:

This says more about you than anything. Look at our squad we have a mixture of experienced pros Kasper, Wes, Vardy etc who may not get another chance at playing in Europe and will want to end there careers with a few more big European nights under their belt.

Then we have the Madison, Chilwell type young players who play with a swagger and want to show the world what they can do on the big stage.

This isn’t like. Painting and decorating job,  where you get the job done go home and have a cuppa.

This is about showing off what you can do at the highest level and maybe for some younger lads getting a big move to Spain or Somewhere.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, steveherbe said:

The players didn’t get to be playing premier league football without working hard - they aren’t work shy. 

I think Wolves are going to fade away now after the cup disappointment, but I think Watford will beat us to 7th. 

Beating Arsenal was a highlight for me last season, so hope we can pull that one off. Still fancy us to get a point off Man City to help Liverpool to the title - seems a very Leicester thing to do. 

• Thanks 1

18 hours ago, Happy Fox said:

So we are down to the final furlong in the race for 7th and potential European football next season, how many points do you think we will accrue and the other teams in contention?

Leicester City (Points Total so far: 47)

West Ham (a) - win

Arsenal (h) - draw

Manchester City (a) - lose

Chelsea (h) - win

Points predictor - 7 points

Wolves (Points Total so far: 47)

Brighton (h) - win

Arsenal (h) -  lose

Watford (a) -  draw

Fulham (h) - draw

Liverpool (a) - lose

Points predictor - 5 points

Everton (Points Total so far: 46)

Manchester United (h) - lose

Palace (a) - draw

Burnley (h) - win

Tottenham (a) - lose

Points predictor - 4 points

Watford (Points Total so far: 46)

Arsenal (h) - lose

Huddersfield (a) - win

Southampton (h) - draw

Wolves (h) - draw

Chelsea (a) - lose

West Ham (h) - draw

Points predictor - 6 points

Maybe slightly biased our end and quite conceivably it could be a points tie come the end of the season where goal difference will come in our favour whether we finish 7th or not.

Why in the world would you predict Wolves would draw at home to Fulham?

10 hours ago, steveherbe said:

"Cant blame them for jacking the season in now, I bloody would."  And that's why they're professional footballers, doing a job we'd all dream about, and you're.......not.

• Thanks 2
  • Haha 1

I can't believe all the negative comments on here about us attaining 7th spot, which is highly unlikely given the remaining fixtures. However, if we do so what? Just get on, deal with it and see what happens.We have a stronger squad than Burnley who many point to which, undoubtedly, will be strengthened in the summer.

Guest Cujek
8 hours ago, rachhere said:

The players didn’t get to be playing premier league football without working hard - they aren’t work shy. 

I think Wolves are going to fade away now after the cup disappointment, but I think Watford will beat us to 7th. 

Beating Arsenal was a highlight for me last season, so hope we can pull that one off. Still fancy us to get a point off Man City to help Liverpool to the title - seems a very Leicester thing to do

Torn about this my self.

Whilst i never ant to see Leicester lose and I wont be sad if e draw or beat them of course.

I just do not want Liverpool to win the league, i hate them with an absolute passion.

I hate all the people that are Liverpool "fans" and when you ask them how often they get to Anfield the reply is well i have never been but I love them.

I hate going there and having to listen to that stupid bloody song they sing at the start, the one that all the goppers that are supposed "pundits" say things like "spine chilling" etc etc, its karaoke nothing more and after that song is done you dont hear them for the rest of the game.

I hate Gerrard, i hate Owen, I hate Carragher, Dalgaliesh, Souness, Alan Hansen etc etc, they are all deluded and only care about the top 6 (4).

its always a travesty when Liverpool have a crap season, but when they do well but somehow manage to not win the league, they are always the best team in the league but didnt win it because of XYZ blah blah blah.

I hated it at school, there was all these Manure and Liverpool "fans" and i got the piss took out of me for being Leicester, in a damn Leicestershire school, it never occured to me at the time how wrong all these fake fans where. This was in the early 90's so it was the end of Liverpool being dominant and the start of Manures dominance.

I dont have a great affinity for Man City, but at least they are just a yo-yo club like us, but with more money.

Sorry for the rant.

I think we realistically need 3 wins out of the 4 games to get 7th. Watford are in the driving seat, good team this season.

The only "advantage" we have is that Arsenal and Chelsea will also have Europa League games (assuming neither collapse in the 2nd leg) around our fixtures. Arsenal play the semi 1st leg 4 days after our PL game, and Chelsea play their semi 2nd leg just 3 days before our PL match.

This Saturday will guide our last 3 games. Win and we have something to play for, draw/lose and we can finally put the last nail in 7th place coffin. As I said above, I think Watford will have the momentum to carry them to 7th and they'll run Man City close in the final (I think they may even win it).

18 minutes ago, Cujek said:

Torn about this my self.

Whilst i never ant to see Leicester lose and I wont be sad if e draw or beat them of course.

I just do not want Liverpool to win the league, i hate them with an absolute passion.

I hate all the people that are Liverpool "fans" and when you ask them how often they get to Anfield the reply is well i have never been but I love them.

I hate going there and having to listen to that stupid bloody song they sing at the start, the one that all the goppers that are supposed "pundits" say things like "spine chilling" etc etc, its karaoke nothing more and after that song is done you dont hear them for the rest of the game.

I hate Gerrard, i hate Owen, I hate Carragher, Dalgaliesh, Souness, Alan Hansen etc etc, they are all deluded and only care about the top 6 (4).

its always a travesty when Liverpool have a crap season, but when they do well but somehow manage to not win the league, they are always the best team in the league but didnt win it because of XYZ blah blah blah.

I hated it at school, there was all these Manure and Liverpool "fans" and i got the piss took out of me for being Leicester, in a damn Leicestershire school, it never occured to me at the time how wrong all these fake fans where. This was in the early 90's so it was the end of Liverpool being dominant and the start of Manures dominance.

I dont have a great affinity for Man City, but at least they are just a yo-yo club like us, but with more money.

Sorry for the rant.

How can you hate Stevie :( - England legend for me. 

I apparently live quite a sheltered life because this is a consistent picture on here, but all the Liverpool fans I know or have met are great. 

• Thanks 1

Guest Cujek
6 minutes ago, rachhere said:

How can you hate Stevie :( - England legend for me. 

I apparently live quite a sheltered life because this is a consistent picture on here, but all the Liverpool fans I know or have met are great. 

i just have an irrational hatred of him, it still makes me laugh that Schlupp has one more premier league winners medal than him.

Edited by Cujek

33 minutes ago, Cujek said:

Torn about this my self.

Sorry for the rant.

Lol i know how you feel i use to love spurs ,they were my 2nd team and then as soon as kane and ali joined and played regular i instantly disliked them...i really cant stand that big nose c@@t i even have to switch over when hes doing an interveiw lol

11 hours ago, steveherbe said:

One flaw in your logic is that players get performance related pay goal bonuses etc and probably a clause for achieving European qualification. Didn’t they all get a big bonus for reaching CL quarter finals?

They thousands per week is their basic pay and it will often be a lot more.

Personally I’m not too upset if we don’t qualify for Europa League, I still want us to win every game, in some ways best case scenario would be finishing confortably 7th and Watford win the cup. Brendan does need a proper preseason to assess and sort out the squad. So much upheaval over the last few year we need a good clear out and a couple of solid signings to build on this season. I think first we need to keep our manager for a full season and then we will be ready for a European challenge and disrupted preseason. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, steveherbe said:

I don't think it's as easy as that. They are players in our squad who've never played in European competition. 

The other option in July will be hard running of pre-season. That would be reduced if we had the qualifiers of the Europa League. 

Guest Cujek
5 minutes ago, dorsetboy said:

Lol i know how you feel i use to love spurs ,they were my 2nd team and then as soon as kane and ali joined and played regular i instantly disliked them...i really cant stand that big nose c@@t i even have to switch over when hes doing an interveiw lol

Dont get me started on Spurs, or the shit 1940's ripoff RAF pilot Kane.

I genuinely think i have some kind of mental disorder.

I hate some teams because they are big and have fake supporters, i hate some teams because they are small and their fans think they are better than they are, i hate teams the same size as us because they are our rivals.

I hate teams far away because they seem foreign to me, i hate close teams cos they are close to us and there is a rivalry there.

er

When i talk about football only one club matters to me, i try to explain to my girlfriend why i am so hostile to other teams and i just cant get the words out, its like a tribal thing to me, the other team are trying to take away what i love and i will fight to the end to preserve our tribe.

Like i say, i think i have a mental disorder.

To be fair, at least if we've blown 7th by that point I'll have no problem cheering on Watford in the FA Cup Final. It's bad enough that I'm cheering on Man City in the title race, I feel downright dirty wanting them to clear up the domestic cups too based purely on a July trip to Qarabag. lol

2 hours ago, Cujek said:

Dont get me started on Spurs, or the shit 1940's ripoff RAF pilot Kane.

I genuinely think i have some kind of mental disorder.

I hate some teams because they are big and have fake supporters, i hate some teams because they are small and their fans think they are better than they are, i hate teams the same size as us because they are our rivals.

I hate teams far away because they seem foreign to me, i hate close teams cos they are close to us and there is a rivalry there.

er

When i talk about football only one club matters to me, i try to explain to my girlfriend why i am so hostile to other teams and i just cant get the words out, its like a tribal thing to me, the other team are trying to take away what i love and i will fight to the end to preserve our tribe.

Like i say, i think i have a mental disorder.

ha ha your not wrong ,,,is it bad i wanted england to lose at the euros,world cup just to feel happy at tears running down that huge conk of his and the joy i felt when he went of injured in the champions league game and knowing he would be out all season felt like my 6 lottery numbers had just come in :)