Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Happy Fox

The Race for 7th

7 hours ago, Crispin LA said:

Everton fans on their forum don't want to play in the Europa League, as it may be a hinderance for next season. All are our rivals lost on the weekend and Watford probably will lose against Arsenal. 

Hinderance for next season? They're shit every year. They could easily finish 15th with no European football. 

I see no valid reason why a 25 man squad cant deal with the extra games. I think we have just legitimised the excuses of managers and players for their failures over the years. 

• Like 2

I'm not looking at us getting 7th. Yes fixtures last weekend did go our way but we've stil got to play some tough fixtures and can't see us getting the points required. I don't see this as a lost opportunity in the last few fixtures, I say we lost 7th place with results earlier on. Drawing and losing games to teams that we really should be beating if we have aspirations of Europe.

There's been missed opportunities throughout and not just the Newcastle game. Over the course of the season we don't deserve it, we've just not been consistent enough to warrant it. May not even get Europe if Watford somehow win the FA cup. 

Don't get me wrong, if we do get 7th and Europe then I'll be delighted, but realistically I can't see it.

Edited by fox_favourite

25 minutes ago, fox_favourite said:

I'm not looking at us getting 7th. Yes fixtures last weekend did go our way but we've stil got to play some tough fixtures and can't see us getting the points required. I don't see this as a lost opportunity in the last few fixtures, I say we lost 7th place with results earlier on. Drawing and losing games to teams that we really should be beating if we have aspirations of Europe.

There's been missed opportunities throughout and not just the Newcastle game. Over the course of the season we don't deserve it, we've just not been consistent enough to warrant it. May not even get Europe if Watford somehow win the FA cup. 

Don't get me wrong, if we do get 7th and Europe then I'll be delighted, but realistically I can't see it.

Realistically though, who in the league outside Liverpool and Man City have been consistent.

Look at Wolves record vs Top 6 compared to their record over the bottom 6.

Over the course of a season you finish where you deserve.

With 4 games to go we are 7th, Wolves are level on points and Everton and Watford a further point behind.

Yes Watford and Wolves have a game in hand, but they also play each other.

We have 4 games left and in the reverse fixtures of these games we picked up 7 points. 

I see no reason we can’t match that now and that would mean Wolves would need 8 points from 5 games, Watford and Everton 9 points.

I don’t get why everyone is so down on our chances and some of the words used on this thread are embarrassing.

Also don’t get any fan that doesn’t want us to get Europe this season based on the fact it might make it harder for us to get Europe next season.

Lets go all out and do this! I look forward to seeing you all for Getafe away!

• Like 3

2 hours ago, TK95 said:

To be fair to Puel, he got his fair share of results against the bigger sides. Let's see how Rodgers takes charge of these situations 

Brave.. very brave. The anti-Puel trumpet brigade may pounce on you for saying that

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, leicesterseddon said:

I think we’ll (just) miss out this season, but we should be trying to finish as high as possible. 

The ‘we’ll be better next year’ argument can always be used but never proved. 

I think you just have to take these opportunities when they come...really there is no guarantee we’ll have a stronger squad in a year’s time. 

Absolutely. 

Do people really not want to qualify for Europe so that we can concentrate on qualifying for Europe next season? 

• Like 3

3 hours ago, leicesterseddon said:

I think we’ll (just) miss out this season, but we should be trying to finish as high as possible. 

The ‘we’ll be better next year’ argument can always be used but never proved. 

I think you just have to take these opportunities when they come...really there is no guarantee we’ll have a stronger squad in a year’s time. 

This is the best response to those wanting to 'postpone' qualification until next year.

The fact is we don't know what situation we or our rivals will find ourselves in next season. You can end up wanting to wait for an ideal position of strength that's never likely to come.

Edited by Harry - LCFC

23 hours ago, The whole world smiles said:

Just out of curiosity did you go to any of the away games last time we were in Europe? I was lucky enough to go to Copenhagen and I honestly don't know how any fan who's experienced seeing their club away in a city like Copenhagen wouldn't want a bit more of that.

I did go, Seville and Madrid. Just don't think we're ready for it. If we were in Europe next season, it wouldn't allow Brendan to get the players he wants in, with the squad neeeding an overhaul. I just worry that if we were in Europe next season it would ruin our league season. Much prefer us to build in the summer and really push on next season and get into Europe comfortably. Of course I want those away days again but I'm willing to be patient to be more successful in Europe and in the league.

19 hours ago, Aus Fox said:

Realistically though, who in the league outside Liverpool and Man City have been consistent.

Look at Wolves record vs Top 6 compared to their record over the bottom 6.

Over the course of a season you finish where you deserve.

With 4 games to go we are 7th, Wolves are level on points and Everton and Watford a further point behind.

Yes Watford and Wolves have a game in hand, but they also play each other.

We have 4 games left and in the reverse fixtures of these games we picked up 7 points. 

I see no reason we can’t match that now and that would mean Wolves would need 8 points from 5 games, Watford and Everton 9 points.

I don’t get why everyone is so down on our chances and some of the words used on this thread are embarrassing.

Also don’t get any fan that doesn’t want us to get Europe this season based on the fact it might make it harder for us to get Europe next season.

Lets go all out and do this! I look forward to seeing you all for Getafe away!

Exactly.

Its quite alarming just how poor you can actually be as a side and still finish 7th-10th. That 2nd season under Ranieri shown us that you can be the most monumental **** up of a side and still put a run together and nearly get top half.

Advantage Watford now:

Another poor result for Wolves, Watford got the points you’d expect them to get.

Both teams ply their game in hand mid week with Watford playing hosts to Southampton and Wolves at home to Arsenal.

We won’t be expected to pick up any more points this season with 3 of the top 6 to play.

It's still there to be played for, but now I feel we will have to win both home games and hope Wolves, Everton and Watford all head off on their holidays early.

52 minutes ago, splinterdream said:

Surely Europa is the only chance we have of Europe, we’re highly unlikely to see Champions league again

Yes but when we have better players to back up the first team. What happens if vardy or Maddison get injured playing qualifiers in places like turkey or Russia, we’re basically fvcked for the start of the season.

I think it’s best to avoid Europe because our team and squad isn’t ready yet. I don’t think we’d do well in the competition if we played in it next season. Watford deserve it and given their average age is the highest in the league they are better prepared for it.

It’s better to have a full preseason and focus on improving results and performances to a more consistent standard in the league first.  

• Like 1

1 minute ago, DANGEROUS TIGER said:

Brendan will by now have assessed  the strengths and weaknesses of C.P.'s side. Next season we shall see his choice of  players on the pitch, and will hopefully be stronger for it.

You can't say the Bbone,of this side was CPs....in fact any good additions still came from him...Maddison,Evans,Ricardo & Tielemans, Got Amartey starting to deliver...kept faith with Chilwell,...Even revitalised big Wes. Brought Barnes back....One questionable Ghezzal(IMO not so bad has some have made out). So CPs  players we are celebrating more successes than failures, leaving behind that is giving Rodgers something to work with....!!

• Like 3