Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Happy Fox

The Race for 7th

1 hour ago, Hollyfox said:

You've got to be kidding ?

If you're scared of those 3, you've no right to be in the top flight. 

At least 4 points more?

who mentioned anything about being scared? our last two games we have been very ordinary to be honest- tougher opposition to come.

1 hour ago, MPH said:

who mentioned anything about being scared? our last two games we have been very ordinary to be honest- tougher opposition to come.

Well you said that's probably our last point of the season. 

That to me is a defeatist attitude. 

We have a striker that has a brilliant record against the big sides and a side that, on its day, can give the big boys a proper game.

Our owners have given us a platform with a squad and manager that could really take us forward. 

Shitting your pants at the thought of playing a pretty rough arsenal and Chelsea, that have Europa Cup aspirations and a fantastic Man City that are still up for a wobble (hope not) is not what we should be about. 

Personally I absolutely hate that attitude. 

But it's all about opinions, I suppose 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, MPH said:

Im pretty sure we have been ordinary for the majority of the season yet have still beaten 2 out of the 3 teams we still have to play

2 hours ago, Hollyfox said:

Well you said that's probably our last point of the season. 

That to me is a defeatist attitude

We have a striker that has a brilliant record against the big sides and a side that, on its day, can give the big boys a proper game.

Our owners have given us a platform with a squad and manager that could really take us forward. 

Shitting your pants at the thought of playing a pretty rough arsenal and Chelsea, that have Europa Cup aspirations and a fantastic Man City that are still up for a wobble (hope not) is not what we should be about. 

Personally I absolutely hate that attitude. 

But it's all about opinions, I suppose 

bizare post.

don’t know how you can compare being scared and thinking we might lose to chelsea arsenal and man city. - two different things.

theres a reason they are all in the european places and we struggled to ( luckily) draw against a very average West Ham side. 

They have  all been better than us this season, that’s all. No shame in admitting that.

No one is quaking in their boots about it. 

Rodgers' record against big clubs doesn't inspire much confidence, but no matter who the manager was getting enough points from these three matches was going to be a near-impossibility.  Any chance of 7th ended when we only got 1 point from Newcastle/West Ham - needed 4 at a minimum.

I continue to be mystified at the "I don't want Europe" mentality.  If you wait till you think you're ready for it, the opportunity may never come.  Who would have said we were ready for the CL the season after we won the title?  Yet we managed the quarter-finals and could, with some luck and one less yellow for Huth, have beaten Atletico.  With an offseason to prepare the squad, we could have done quite well in Europa, and the experience would have been invaluable for our youngsters (apart from Tielemans, of course, who was playing in the CL at 16).

1 hour ago, Deeg67 said:

Rodgers' record against big clubs doesn't inspire much confidence, but no matter who the manager was getting enough points from these three matches was going to be a near-impossibility.  Any chance of 7th ended when we only got 1 point from Newcastle/West Ham - needed 4 at a minimum.

I continue to be mystified at the "I don't want Europe" mentality.  If you wait till you think you're ready for it, the opportunity may never come.  Who would have said we were ready for the CL the season after we won the title?  Yet we managed the quarter-finals and could, with some luck and one less yellow for Huth, have beaten Atletico.  With an offseason to prepare the squad, we could have done quite well in Europa, and the experience would have been invaluable for our youngsters (apart from Tielemans, of course, who was playing in the CL at 16).

I think this is the best response to those wanting to 'postpone' qualification for Europe. The fact is it's unlikely we'll reach the ideal position of strength that some posters want before competing in Europe. We also don't even know for certain we'll be stronger next year either!

Edited by Harry - LCFC

The perceived curse is bonkers. 

Just because every couple of seasons, someone over performs, gets a European place then turns out to be a flash in the pan the following season, skirting relegation, doesn’t mean we should avoid trying to get 7th.

The club will want the revenue stream. 

The squad is big enough now. If anything, the squad go do with a weedwacker, to clear out some of the junk. 

1 hour ago, Sly said:

The perceived curse is bonkers. 

Just because every couple of seasons, someone over performs, gets a European place then turns out to be a flash in the pan the following season, skirting relegation, doesn’t mean we should avoid trying to get 7th.

The club will want the revenue stream. 

The squad is big enough now. If anything, the squad go do with a weedwacker, to clear out some of the junk. 

Totally agree. Usually the team that qualifies for the last spot are one season wonders who just wanted to reach there for the experience.

Our aim should be to buck that trend and become the extension of the top 6. Be in a situation where we are eventually aiming for the Champions League, but consistently qualifying for the Europa league at least.

Edited by TK95
  • Like 1

Pearson mentioned when interviewed that the players want to get back into Europe ....... so the idea that they won’t be trying is unlikely to be correct. However, given the last three fixtures and the pressure on the sides involved to win, we won’t make 7th. We need at least six points and probably 7. 

I think we'd all be more suited to it than Burnley were - bigger squads etc

Also what didn't help them was the fact think 2/3 ties went to Extra time and we know how much Dyche demands from his Burnley side in terms of energy and physical play.

They did draw Aberdeen in the first round so that was hardly a long trip....

If our general Pre-season form is anything to go by we'd probably lose in the first game anyway to some Latvian/Lithuanian side!

3 minutes ago, Super_horns said:

I think we'd all be more suited to it than Burnley were - bigger squads etc

Also what didn't help them was the fact think 2/3 ties went to Extra time and we know how much Dyche demands from his Burnley side in terms of energy and physical play.

They did draw Aberdeen in the first round so that was hardly a long trip....

If our general Pre-season form is anything to go by we'd probably lose in the first game anyway to some Latvian/Lithuanian side!

I’m pretty sure I read somewhere, if you win the FA Cup, it’s the 6th place side that has to go through qualifiers, most likely Manchester United and you’d go straight into the group stage.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Super_horns said:

Yes - that would be handy!

Sadly probably won't happen but never know I guess.

We play Wolves next week - got that nagging feeling they'll beat us.

Sort of thing that happens when you play a team twice in quick succession.

Wolves look shot and you guys look sharp. What a job Gracia has done

• Like 2

12 hours ago, MPH said:

bizare post.

don’t know how you can compare being scared and thinking we might lose to chelsea arsenal and man city. - two different things.

theres a reason they are all in the european places and we struggled to ( luckily) draw against a very average West Ham side. 

They have  all been better than us this season, that’s all. No shame in admitting that.

No one is quaking in their boots about it. 

Not bizarre at all. 

We've beaten Chelsea away and City at home. 

Arsenal away we were the better side 1st half, but they moved up the gears 2nd half and showed their class. 

To say yesterday's point was our last of the season is far more bizarre ?