Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Happy Fox

The Race for 7th

Realistically, I think it's Watford's to bottle at this point. Extra game in hand and they arguably have the "easiest" top 6 fixtures remaining in Arsenal and Chelsea - granted, so do we, but we also have Man City to contend with.

Only real question is whether they're more interested in conserving their squad and coasting to gear up for the FA Cup final. In their position, I imagine we'd do the same, but they've been putting lesser teams to bed in recent weeks and their seemingly patchy form is slightly disproportionate with both Manchester clubs and Liverpool having been their only conquerors in recent times.

In fact you have to go back to the 30th of January for the last time Watford lost against a lower-tier opponent... :ph34r:

Wolves have gone off the boil and thrown away supposed bankers against weaker opposition, but always seem to step up to the "occasion" - they're like us on steroids in that respect. :rolleyes: For that reason it's hard to write off them getting a win at home to Arsenal, but they could just as easily blow it against Brighton and Fulham.

Everton are only still in the race because they beat the same Top 6 teams, in Chelsea and Arsenal, that everyone else seems to have yet to play again, but should absolutely be looking to beat if they're serious about finishing 7th. If I was to tip one team to really drop off and finish in the bottom half, it would be them at this point.

As for us... it all depends on what we come away with at the London Stadium. Win that, and we go into three big fixtures against Top 6 opposition where it's not unrealistic that we could pick up at least one more win.

All that considered, I see it finishing as such:

Leicester City (Points Total so far: 47)

West Ham (a) - win

Arsenal (h) - draw

Manchester City (a) - lose

Chelsea (h) - draw

Points predictor - 5 points

Wolves (Points Total so far: 47)

Brighton (h) - win

Arsenal (h) -  win

Watford (a) -  lose

Fulham (h) - draw

Liverpool (a) - lose

Points predictor - 7 points

Everton (Points Total so far: 46)

Manchester United (h) - lose

Palace (a) - draw

Burnley (h) - draw

Tottenham (a) - lose

Points predictor - 2 points

Watford (Points Total so far: 46)

Arsenal (h) - lose

Huddersfield (a) - win

Southampton (h) - draw

Wolves (h) - win

Chelsea (a) - lose

West Ham (h) - win

Points predictor - 10 points

Final Standings

7 - Watford - 56

8 - Wolves - 54

9 - Leicester - 52

10 - Everton - 48

That said, I could genuinely see Everton failing to register a single point between now and the end of the season, in which case West Ham could sneak above them with 5 points from their last 4. That's unlikely though, and their naff GD means 4 points would still put Everton ahead of them failing them dropping a 10 goal advantage in those games.

... christ work is boring today. Can you tell? 

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, OntarioFox said:

Realistically, I think it's Watford's to bottle at this point. Extra game in hand and they arguably have the "easiest" top 6 fixtures remaining in Arsenal and Chelsea - granted, so do we, but we also have Man City to contend with.

Only real question is whether they're more interested in conserving their squad and coasting to gear up for the FA Cup final. In their position, I imagine we'd do the same, but they've been putting lesser teams to bed in recent weeks and their seemingly patchy form is slightly disproportionate with both Manchester clubs and Liverpool having been their only conquerors in recent times.

In fact you have to go back to the 30th of January for the last time Watford lost against a lower-tier opponent... :ph34r:

Wolves have gone off the boil and thrown away supposed bankers against weaker opposition, but always seem to step up to the "occasion" - they're like us on steroids in that respect. :rolleyes: For that reason it's hard to write off them getting a win at home to Arsenal, but they could just as easily blow it against Brighton and Fulham.

Everton are only still in the race because they beat the same Top 6 teams, in Chelsea and Arsenal, that everyone else seems to have yet to play again, but should absolutely be looking to beat if they're serious about finishing 7th. If I was to tip one team to really drop off and finish in the bottom half, it would be them at this point.

As for us... it all depends on what we come away with at the London Stadium. Win that, and we go into three big fixtures against Top 6 opposition where it's not unrealistic that we could pick up at least one more win.

All that considered, I see it finishing as such:

Leicester City (Points Total so far: 47)

West Ham (a) - win

Arsenal (h) - draw

Manchester City (a) - lose

Chelsea (h) - draw

Points predictor - 5 points

Wolves (Points Total so far: 47)

Brighton (h) - win

Arsenal (h) -  win

Watford (a) -  lose

Fulham (h) - draw

Liverpool (a) - lose

Points predictor - 7 points

Everton (Points Total so far: 46)

Manchester United (h) - lose

Palace (a) - draw

Burnley (h) - draw

Tottenham (a) - lose

Points predictor - 2 points

Watford (Points Total so far: 46)

Arsenal (h) - lose

Huddersfield (a) - win

Southampton (h) - draw

Wolves (h) - win

Chelsea (a) - lose

West Ham (h) - win

Points predictor - 10 points

Final Standings

7 - Watford - 56

8 - Wolves - 54

9 - Leicester - 52

10 - Everton - 48

That said, I could genuinely see Everton failing to register a single point between now and the end of the season, in which case West Ham could sneak above them with 5 points from their last 4. That's unlikely though, and their naff GD means 4 points would still put Everton ahead of them failing them dropping a 10 goal advantage in those games.

... christ work is boring today. Can you tell? 

The most surprising thing about that post is you work.

• Haha 1

After this weekend’s crazy results I actually think many scenarios could play out. The one of course I would love is where we win most of our remaining games INC man city which will send the footy world into shock lol. Something about Brendan Rogers having his revenge and winning it for Liverpool atlast in a roundabout way. We will of course be forever hated by city fans and loved by The scousers.

whatever happens it’s entertaining atleast.

Oh finally we get 7th spot. If we do I hope we are bloody well prepared for next season!

36 minutes ago, Crispin LA said:

Everton fans on their forum don't want to play in the Europa League, as it may be a hinderance for next season. All are our rivals lost on the weekend and Watford probably will lose against Arsenal. 

hardly a guarantee arsenal win beat watford. they have a shocking away record.

Two more wins for our joint 3rd best Premier League points tally.  I'd settle for that.  Whether or not that's good enough for 7th I'm not sure, but I'm more interested in making progress and having some stability to the club for the next few years.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Cujek said:

i just have an irrational hatred of him, it still makes me laugh that Schlupp has one more premier league winners medal than him.

As a football fan you have to feel sympathy for what happened with the  slip. 

A whole seasons work defined by that one incident.

At least Liverpool are a proper Club unlike Man City who are no more than a Cash Cow and flaunting the rules at every opportunity. They should be kicked out of football for a season, then they might behave properly.

I hope we do the double over them and Liverpool win the league.

So, we’re supporting Arsenal tonight?

I’m confused. Do we want this or not?

I’m supporting Arsenal anyway, but only cos the manager looks like the butler from Mr.Deeds and because their red kit so obviously clashed with yellow, so they’re wearing a white one that was washed with a keepers top

• Haha 2

It would be typical for us to get 7th and then Watford win the FA cup. I'm still undecided whether i want Europe. Always nice to be in Europe but not sure our squad is ready for it yet. We'd still do a better job than that Burnley muck though. 

Watford should get it with a game in hand, decent home matches and a trip to Huddersfield. Us, Wolves and Everton all play at least two top six teams (although it hasn't stopped the others before) while Watford only have Chelsea away. Wolves' other home games are very winnable.

I'd say Watford are favourites, then Wolves, us and Everton similar chances.

33 minutes ago, Corky said:

Watford should get it with a game in hand, decent home matches and a trip to Huddersfield. Us, Wolves and Everton all play at least two top six teams (although it hasn't stopped the others before) while Watford only have Chelsea away. Wolves' other home games are very winnable.

I'd say Watford are favourites, then Wolves, us and Everton similar chances.

I don’t think you can predict it, I wonder what the odds would have been for all four sides to lose this weekend?

2 minutes ago, Stadt said:

I don’t think you can predict it, I wonder what the odds would have been for all four sides to lose this weekend?

I put in a lot of effort in scouring BBC Sport Premier League fixtures!

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Dan LCFC said:

And sure enough Watford implode in the first 15 minutes as well.

The whole thing's almost farcical in a way. I'm not convinced teams even want it.

It's not ideal but can't we just use it as pre season. If you want to be a top player you're going to have to play 50+ games a season, if Chilwell or Maguire end up at Man Utd/Man City, this will be expected. If we don't want to play in Europa League, what are we actually aiming for next season? If it's not 7th, well we won't finish top 4 again anytime soon, we won't win the FA Cup unless we show full dedication to it and we haven't even when we're not in Europe. Are we just wanting to survive in the league?

13 hours ago, Cujek said:

Dont get me started on Spurs, or the shit 1940's ripoff RAF pilot Kane.

I genuinely think i have some kind of mental disorder.

I hate some teams because they are big and have fake supporters, i hate some teams because they are small and their fans think they are better than they are, i hate teams the same size as us because they are our rivals.

I hate teams far away because they seem foreign to me, i hate close teams cos they are close to us and there is a rivalry there.

er

When i talk about football only one club matters to me, i try to explain to my girlfriend why i am so hostile to other teams and i just cant get the words out, its like a tribal thing to me, the other team are trying to take away what i love and i will fight to the end to preserve our tribe.

Like i say, i think i have a mental disorder.

Sounds perfectly rational to me. As it does to hate Kane and Ali, both of their faces make my hackles rise.