Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
treer

Gray, wonder what Brendan thinks?

Rodgers picking Gray yesterday is the only indicator of what he thinks. 

He'd had enough shockers to be dropped, but he was there in the starting 11 yesterday. 

I think he should stay, but bring in a winger who can make that position productive again.

The debate has always been, should Gray move centrally, he seemed to do this yesterday, but still didn't make it work. 

There definitely is a point of view that playing him more centrally would give his limited thought space more time to focus on less i.e Demarai, put ball in net. 

I can't believe that one chance yesterday where he was through on goal and did not shoot, then made a balls up of his pass.

He's already being overtaken by Barnes who's only had half a season. If he doesn't up his game in these last three, one signing in the summer is all it will take to bench him.

I really think that he could still come good, but I'd rather sell him off to the likes of Eddie Howe and see him try their luck with him than waste another season. To really develop his creativity and finishing, I'd say he basically has one more season. After that, his value will go down, because the whole "buying potential" thing will no longer be valid. There will be no potential to be bought, improvements will very likely be marginal.

That's why I'd rather sell him now for 15 millionish, fund the purchase of another, hotter property. It's less risky for the club. Whilst it sucks for Gray that the club hasn't treated him properly under Ranieri and Shakespeare, it doesn't mean we owe him anything other than giving him the chance to perform elsewhere. Keeping him as a squad player would be the worst option for all parties - Gray is robbed of his last chance to really step up and we lose tremendous value on him. Unfortunately it hasn't worked out, but we have to cut our losses at some point and I think this is the best time to do so. He gets another chance, we get money.

35 minutes ago, Dickov22 said:

Just don’t get the hate for Gray amongst our fan base. 

He hasn’t kicked on as much as I thought he would do but he’s still so young and can be really good at times. Glad Rodgers seems to like him and I’m sure he’ll improve him. 

Whatever happened to trying to improve young players rather than just getting rid of them? 

I don't hate the player but can see why some might, for me I don't think he will develop any further, he's had lots of game time and hasn't improved at all imo, I don't think he makes enough runs off the ball, will often make a pass and then stand and admire it, he runs with his head down, is to predictable, I think we could do so much better. I see more hate for Nacho who I think if had a fraction of game time Gray has had would be a far better player, I wouldn't object to a season long loan but I'm convinced he's a championship/low level prem player.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, splinterdream said:

I don't hate the player but can see why some might, for me I don't think he will develop any further, he's had lots of game time and hasn't improved at all imo, I don't think he makes enough runs off the ball, will often make a pass and then stand and admire it, he runs with his head down, is to predictable, I think we could do so much better. I see more hate for Nacho who I think if had a fraction of game time Gray has had would be a far better player, I wouldn't object to a season long loan but I'm convinced he's a championship/low level prem player.

Go on......

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, foxfanazer said:

Go on......

He is perceived as thinking he is better than he is, I'm not sure whether that's the case or not, for example he can be subbed and does that clapping to the fans thing looking for applause back when he's been dreadfully ineffective, you often see some say he's arrogant, again I'm not sure if this is the case or not, I just think if I were managing him I'd be telling him to stick to the basics, running the channels and beating the man and getting in crosses, I'd want to see more distance covered from him as if I remember his distance covered stats are on the low side.

I always thought Gray's problem was just his understanding of the game but actually he is just not a premier league level footballer. His first touch is atrocious and he cannot play with his back to goal. He cannot cross. 

All he has is running at people directly, too one dimensional a player and he does not understand the game well enough. Sell.

• Like 3

59 minutes ago, splinterdream said:

You made some good points until the Iheanacho comment. Here is a player where I can see exactly why people would dislike him, because he simply doesn’t try hard enough. Without turning this Gray thread into an Iheanacho thread, Id give Gray a game every week ahead of Iheanacho. You just can’t compare the two. Gray might have poor games, but it’s never for a lack of trying. Iheanacho on the other hand...

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Gerard said:

Harvey Barnes is 18 months younger and nowhere near as far down the experience route that Gray was at the same age. Barnes tore up the Championship as has looked a threat here in his first taste of PL football.

Players develop at different rates and Harvey Barnes is an exceptional talent, I really think he's going to be one of the best. However, you can't use that as a stick to beat Demarai with. Jamie Vardy was a non-league player when he was 22 and has turned in to a half decent player. Riyad Mahrez was playing in the French third division at 22.

I agree that Gray is a frustrating player but I also think he's got potential and shouldn't be binned off at just 22. That said, people were calling for us to get rid of Chilwell last season so it's not a surprise that people have no patience whatsoever (not you necessarily). 

For what it's worth, he wouldn't be in my starting 11 currently but I definitely wouldn't sell him, he is a good young player and deserves a place in the squad. Don't get all the hate for a guy who is only 22.

11 minutes ago, Paddy. said:

Players develop at different rates and Harvey Barnes is an exceptional talent, I really think he's going to be one of the best. However, you can't use that as a stick to beat Demarai with. Jamie Vardy was a non-league player when he was 22 and has turned in to a half decent player. Riyad Mahrez was playing in the French third division at 22.

I agree that Gray is a frustrating player but I also think he's got potential and shouldn't be binned off at just 22. That said, people were calling for us to get rid of Chilwell last season so it's not a surprise that people have no patience whatsoever (not you necessarily). 

For what it's worth, he wouldn't be in my starting 11 currently but I definitely wouldn't sell him, he is a good young player and deserves a place in the squad. Don't get all the hate for a guy who is only 22.

Neither Vardy or Mahrez had 100 PL games or 50 starts at 22 though. I’d be surprised if there’s more than a handful of players who have become top class later in their careers after having such a relatively unproductive first 100 games in the top flight.

Age is obviously part of things like poor decision making but it does go hand-in-hand with experience. Gray is unusual in that he’s young but also quite experienced now. I can’t say I’ve seen anything in the last 2 years which suggests to me that he has improved his decision making or composure since he joined in the title winning season.

Also it’s all well and good pointing at players who’ve peaked later on but for every one of those there’s another to whom the exact opposite has happened and they’ve fallen away after a promising start.

As I said in another thread, he’s routinely one of our less high-performing players whether we play well or poorly. 100 games in this just shouldn’t be the case any more, he’s had more than enough chances now. Ghezzal gets pelters from our fans but he is a much more productive player than Gray.

If we can get over £20 million in the summer we should sell. Maybe somebody else can release the potential other people seem to think he has, because it’s not working for him here.

12 hours ago, Paddy. said:

He's 22 for ****s sake. There's not too many players who fulfil their potential at 22 yards old.

Not sure why people are so desperate to get rid. Also, this 'attitude problem' thing, never heard a manager or a team mate complain about him. Is it because he doesn't smile enough for some people?

Do you really think we should stick him on the wings until he finally becomes good ,which may be a long time given the rate of his improvement

Or stick him on the bench until he becomes good,which judging by his desire to play,Wont work out too well

I don't see a particularly great player in him. Quick but poor decision making, reportedly questionable attitude, poor technique (his finishing is atrocious) and lack of end product. There are several wingers like him in the Championship, many of whom are also physically quicker and stronger. I can't see him being more than an impact sub in the longterm and even for that he needs to improve his stats.