Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
treer

Gray, wonder what Brendan thinks?

I think Rodgers will keep him because he hasn't had the time to work with him in preseason yet. He started him today in front of Harvey Barnes, despite most fans holding Barnes in higher esteem than Gray. He also starts him ahead of Ghezzal who IMO is the better player though very inconsistent.

Personally I think Gray has had more than enough chances. This was his big season, the club sold Mahrez and did not recruit a big name player to replace him with, giving Gray a consistent run of games to play in for the first time in his Leicester career. He should thank Puel for that who clearly signed Ghezzal as a squad player instead of being the answer. But Gray has not kicked on and though I have seen improvements in his game, it's on the defensive side not the offensive side. He just doesn't assist or score enough, and he doesn't look like he will do either.

But to answer the question properly, I think Rodgers sees something in him and will persevere. If he didn't he would bench him. Players around the first team squad that are more likely to leave / be loaned out are Ghezzal and Choudhury I think, the latter most likely getting a Barnes-esque loan move.

• Like 2

Top wingers these days are contributing 30-40 goals a season. Whilst we'd never expect that here, Gray can't contribute 3-4. He makes no impact on games at all, ever. Before the rest of football realises we really need to move him on. 

Edited by sdb
  • Like 1

41 minutes ago, NewquayFox said:

Had enough chances, trade him in for James or Bowen, never going to be a consistent Premier League winger...

I'd keep but he'll have to be backup, we can trade Ghezzal for James or Bowen.

• Like 1

I've been of his biggest supporters on here as he was young with lots of ability and a good athlete.

He's 23 this summer and you can only beat the "potential drum" for so long. He hasn't improved much since he arrived here if truth be told. I still think there is a player in there but the older he gets and the longer he's here then the chances of him fulfilling his potential gets less by the day.

Would I sell him in the summer? Well as with most things that's price dependent but if we were offered the £20m+ mark that has been talked about in the past you couldn't blame anyone at the club if they took the money and rolled the dice on another player. 

Edited by Gerard
  • Like 3

16 minutes ago, sdb said:

Top wingers these days are contributing 30-40 goals a season. Whilst we'd never expect that here, Gray can't contribute 3-4. He makes no impact on games at all, ever. Before the rest of football realises we really need to move him on. 

He's not going to be a top wingers to be honest. But he has contributed four goals. He's our third highest goal scorer. Next season you'd expect Barnes and hopefully Tielemans will overtake him. If Gray can improve to contribute about six or seven I'd be more than happy to have him on squad rotation.

29 minutes ago, TrentFox said:

Feck me! What’s the hate all

about? He’s almost exactly the same age as Barnes. Probably Somali impact. Maybe slightly ahead. Everyone jizzing themselves about what BR can

do with Barnes - but want to sell Gray! FFS   Imagine where he can be next season? Devil you know, for me.  

Show me some encouraging stats for gray. I mean stats of improvement and il be happy with gray but hes getting worse not better.

• Like 2

...he is like a number 50 bus. You wait and wait for it to turn up, afraid to give up and start to walk, incase it turns up, and your caught between stops, when it passes you by. We sit there saying he will come good, but afraid to off load, incase someone benefits, and he becomes the player we thought he would be. 

Gray's failure is as much the clubs' as himself. We have indulged his style of play, his poor decision making, selfishness, and his lack of awareness, of team ethics or self and exudes an air of arrogance, which his game does not lend itself for us to comprehend.

Rodgers will want to work with Gray, this will more likely be to Grays' detriment as it will be his last chance and I really doubt he will take it as every opportunity that has fallen his way has not been taken and it needs to come from him, without the expectation, that game time will resolve his problem and nothing is his fault. After three years we should  have got on his case and brought him in line.We have been too lenient, we have allowed him to get there himself, but he does not appear to have the self discipline to get to where he should be. 

The possibility and likelyhood is, he will be gone next season!!!!!!!.

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, Paddy. said:

Not sure why people are so desperate to get rid. Also, this 'attitude problem' thing, never heard a manager or a team mate complain about him. Is it because he doesn't smile enough for some people?

I always see it too. I think a lot of our fans just don't relate to him or it goes back to when he was impatient (and maybe rightfully so) when Ranieri barely started him and we were playing shit. 

If he had an attitude problem he wouldn't be starting games for us. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, David Hankey said:

I'd give him one more season. No doubt he has come a long way since joining us, has reached a level but has not progressed into a match winning player.

He could be great ... but i think he still has the same decision making problens as wgen he arrived. ..his defensive game has improved. ..but for some reason either him or the club have not put 8n the hard yards to improve.  So i dont think he has improved as much as you say.   If he is kept it has to be subject to demonstrating progress by xmas

If we got a decent offer I'd sell. My patience has run out. I'd use the money we would get for him to reinvest in someone who can harness their potential.  I know he is still young but I have seen scant improvement from him bar his defensive work

His discision making is woeful and he is just not clinical.  Great feet and pace but we need more.

His risible numbers demonstrate a player that flatters to deceive.  Maybe BR thinks he can improve him. I'd get rid but he may get a reprieve if Brendan thinks he can work his magic on him. 

Edited by Tanya
  • Like 1