Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
treer

Gray, wonder what Brendan thinks?

He reminds me of Max Gradel in so much as he can turn a game, he clearly has it in him, but he’s just so inconsistent. there’s no point believing in yourself if you can’t bring it out of yourself.

id sell and get both of the young guys we have been linked with recently as it’s probable we are already going to get one of them.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Dickov22 said:

You made some good points until the Iheanacho comment. Here is a player where I can see exactly why people would dislike him, because he simply doesn’t try hard enough. Without turning this Gray thread into an Iheanacho thread, Id give Gray a game every week ahead of Iheanacho. You just can’t compare the two. Gray might have poor games, but it’s never for a lack of trying. Iheanacho on the other hand...

The guy scored how many pre-season? Then he finds himself on the bench, the manager also not the best when it comes to motivating a player who's moral maybe low, maybe we as a club just weren't getting the best out of nacho with the time he was allowed whereas Gray has had plenty of time.

12 hours ago, Gerard said:

Harvey Barnes is 18 months younger and nowhere near as far down the experience route that Gray was at the same age. Barnes tore up the Championship as has looked a threat here in his first taste of PL football.

But..!!!  So what!! That is Barnes,every individual is different!!

Gray is not so bad has some make out,he's just not one of those that jump out of their tracks...His games are mixed,.makes great moves,teammates don't pick him out.Makes a great run,gets picked out,then move fizzles out.....or ditto & creates opening,but a teammate loses it....These are the moves and frustrations of individuals,and in football,When  Barnes does it...that's ok!!  Vardy..Hazard have failed moves,that's ok.!!  When Gray creates an opening,but not the final pass,posters easily forget..

In the 2nd half yesterday,Gray moved out to hugging the LW-touchline ,screaming for the ball like Barnes in the last few games,Chilwell nor Ndidi,when it was

the obvious ball,with space 4-5 times,didn't move it to him,they went down a  blind alley and the forward movement was lost.....

I actually believe,since Ranieri,we as a unit/team don't know how to use Gray,or we totally ignore his strengths..

That all said..it is up to  him,it is he that has to force the issue,become a strong character...and demand the ball on the pitch,and also  shout out behind closed doors!!!

I don't understand some posters on here,players like Gray,Vardy,Nacho,Albrighton,Barnes ,all in different ways, should be greedy 95% of the time..they can beat their man,they should be encouraged to do so,and not lambasted for it!!!  Spotting a teammate,for me that comes regularly enough,but just looks bad and yes we become frustrated when the chance goes a begging..

He is still only 23 (born June 1996), He hasn't turned out to be a footballing wonder-kid,but IMO he still delivers a decent game..and the next 2 seasons,

with Albrighton touching 30,can still claim an England squad spot if its the slow &easy career Gray builds his potential on....

We have seen at this club,so many delayed developing careers ,and yet many posters still don't get it,or understand the way it often works.

Again..Ffs Gray is " 23 "!!!   Think how many WBs/Wingers,Technical quick men,have frustrated us over the years,but still fill us with fond memories,and many were

25-28yrs of age!!! Before we slowly took to them...By the way, ditto with many a club!!!

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, nwl fox said:

But If he didn't clap the fans when he was coming off they'd all be saying he was sulking, he can't win either way with some, it's ridiculous. 

I've no idea what his attitude is like, I'm just saying why I think he gets the bad attention he does, I just think he'll get no better and if were serious about going for Europe we could do better.

55 minutes ago, Paddy. said:

Players develop at different rates and Harvey Barnes is an exceptional talent, I really think he's going to be one of the best. However, you can't use that as a stick to beat Demarai with. Jamie Vardy was a non-league player when he was 22 and has turned in to a half decent player. Riyad Mahrez was playing in the French third division at 22.

I agree that Gray is a frustrating player but I also think he's got potential and shouldn't be binned off at just 22. That said, people were calling for us to get rid of Chilwell last season so it's not a surprise that people have no patience whatsoever (not you necessarily). 

For what it's worth, he wouldn't be in my starting 11 currently but I definitely wouldn't sell him, he is a good young player and deserves a place in the squad. Don't get all the hate for a guy who is only 22.

I've been a big fan of Gray and defended him on here more than most in the past. I also got mocked on here a couple of years a go when I said Chilwell could become the player he wants to be if he keeps working hard at his game and could be good enough for Real Madrid one day when a lot on here wanted him loaned out to a Championship team and for Fuchs to get his place back.

My point with Gray is that although still young there is no significant progression in his game. He's vastly experienced for his age with 200 professional appearance under his belt and has been playing since the 2013/14 season.

He's 23 in a couple of months and is getting to the age when you can't keep living off potential. He's got the ability and athleticism to become a good player but after five seasons and 200 games and fast approaching his mid 20's I'd be looking to sell at this point if there was a serious buyer. 

• Like 1

I think it will come down to how much Brendan has to spend and whether he has to sell to generate cash, he obviously is being given plenty of time to impress in the first team, he has skill and has shown he can work hard, maybe the manager and his staff think they can instil their ideas into his play and finally turn him into the player all the pundits:ph34r: think and the fans hope he is.

Just have to wait for the summer to roll round and see what transpires.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, ithuriel said:

I think it will come down to how much Brendan has to spend and whether he has to sell to generate cash, he obviously is being given plenty of time to impress in the first team, he has skill and has shown he can work hard, maybe the manager and his staff think they can instil their ideas into his play and finally turn him into the player all the pundits:ph34r: think and the fans hope he is.

Just have to wait for the summer to roll round and see what transpires.

If we get a £20m offer we probably ‘should’ sell. But if Gray doesn’t want to go, we won’t sell, as Brendan knows better than to upset the dressing room so soon into his tenure. As a squad player he’s fine.

56 minutes ago, Slab Edd said:

Do you really think we should stick him on the wings until he finally becomes good ,which may be a long time given the rate of his improvement

Or stick him on the bench until he becomes good,which judging by his desire to play,Wont work out too well

I'm saying I don't agree at all that we should get rid. I think we should keep him in the first team squad as I genuinely think it'll click for him at some point. I think it's worth sticking with him. I fundamentally disagree with writing off such a young player. 

I also don't buy all this nonsense about his attitude. I think people are judging by his demeanour which isn't particularly fair. If he had this attitude problem which many fans are convinced he does then why do successive managers keep picking him? 

• Like 1

I think he'll see and If I was betting man, I'd could see ending up somewhere like Bournemouth in fact offer him part of the deal for Wilson. It's a shame cause he came in with huge potential and looked like he was going to be something special and he could still very well be, for us though I'm not sure. He's been here three years and in that time we've seen little glimpses here and there of what he's capable of but just not enough. Harvey Barnes whose just came in has probably more that what Gray has done in his three years.    

12 minutes ago, Dr Marco said:

get rid of Ghezzal and give Gray one more chance!

hope we do sign a strong winger though

The Ghezzal signing was a ridiculous one as was the Danny Ward one.

£25m spent on two players in their mid 20's who came here and it was likely before they even signed that neither would be good enough for the first XI or be able to hold their value. Much likre us selling Musa it's great when you can get top Dollar for players in their mid 20's who aren't good enough for you. 

Liverpool are doing well getting rid of players not good enough for them. In the last three season they've received £107m seliing Benteke, Allen, ibe, Sakho, Solanke and Danny Ward. Someone is doing a good job. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, splinterdream said:

The guy scored how many pre-season? Then he finds himself on the bench, the manager also not the best when it comes to motivating a player who's moral maybe low, maybe we as a club just weren't getting the best out of nacho with the time he was allowed whereas Gray has had plenty of time.

He was crap every time he played last season as well. Pre season is meaningless. Fitness only. The lad isn’t good enough, not here and not at any other Premier League club. It’s absolutely obvious. 

Get rid. Had more chances than I can remember. The fact of the matter is, he's a great athlete with a few neat tricks in the locker but isn't an effective player in the slightest. Goals, vision, defense splitting passes, crosses and intelligence (football or otherwise) are just not in his Arsenal. I used to be a fan but now think he's a championship player I'm afraid.

Bin.

5 hours ago, Dickov22 said:

He was crap every time he played last season as well. Pre season is meaningless. Fitness only. The lad isn’t good enough, not here and not at any other Premier League club. It’s absolutely obvious. 

I absolutely disagree it’s obvious, he scored goals at Man City, the type of goals he scores he clearly has an eye for goal, as for last season, even Vardy struggled being adapting to Puel system, would have been even more difficult for Nacho given the game time he had with little to no service

Here's a question: What sort of numbers should we expect our wingers to be pulling up over the course of a season? I reckon a respectable return in the league would be 5 goals and 7 assists. That's working on the basis that you're considered a decent striker at this level if you're in double figures for goals over a season. Gray this season has achieved 4 goals and 1 assist. 

27 minutes ago, BenTheFox said:

Here's a question: What sort of numbers should we expect our wingers to be pulling up over the course of a season? I reckon a respectable return in the league would be 5 goals and 7 assists. That's working on the basis that you're considered a decent striker at this level if you're in double figures for goals over a season. Gray this season has achieved 4 goals and 1 assist. 

I think if we are playing with a lone striker we need much more than 5 goals and 7 assists.

We need wingers that are pushing double figures in both goals and assists.

This is difficult but that's what we need to be aiming for if the goals are not there we need the assists to be a lot higher.

I'd be happy with gray if he never scored I'd be happy if he produced 15 assists a season.

But gray will never achieve this as he is to greedy and not a team player 

Comparison of Gray's stats with other midtable wingers..

Demarai Gray

Minute per goal: 496

Minute per assist: 1983

Goal every 5.5 games, assist every 22 games

Diogo Jota

Minute per goal: 289

Minute per assist: 505

Goal every 3 games, assist every 5 games

Ryan Fraser

Minute per goal: 405

Minute per assist: 257

Goal every 4.5 games, assist every 3 games