Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Aus Fox

Premier League Thread 2019/20

I’m never sure on young managers being given top jobs until they’ve properly cut their teeth at a lower level.

That said, I think Lampard would probably do very well at Chelsea. It’s not only about passion with Lampard, he’s also bright as they come.

Bad news for Direby though if this happens

Frank to Chelsea makes sense in a 'free hit' year without hazard and no signings. Can spend a year getting the likes of Abraham, mount, James, ampadu PL minutes and then buy players he believes are best for the team the summer after. Also gives pulisic a year to settle and CHO a run of consistent games. Also not like proper Chelsea fans would ever give him grief like they will sarri when Kante has another season as a number 8. 

• Like 1

I guess it depends on Sarri to Juventus, as I can't see Chelsea sacking him. Could be a managerial merry-go-round across Europe's top clubs with Juve and potentially Bayern and Barcelona too. Roma also likely to be after a new manager and Tuchel isn't exactly safe at PSG either.   

14 minutes ago, David Guiza said:

I guess it depends on Sarri to Juventus, as I can't see Chelsea sacking him. Could be a managerial merry-go-round across Europe's top clubs with Juve and potentially Bayern and Barcelona too. Roma also likely to be after a new manager and Tuchel isn't exactly safe at PSG either.   

If United had any sense (they don’t) they’d sack OGS now and get Allegri in.

• Like 4

What's the special deal about Graham Potter then? How's he grabbed a Premier League opportunity? 

Not saying it's a bad thing as it makes a change from the old recycling of the likes of Hughes, Pardew, Allardyce etc being given jobs but will Potter keep Brighton up? 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Col city fan said:

I’m never sure on young managers being given top jobs until they’ve properly cut their teeth at a lower level.

That said, I think Lampard would probably do very well at Chelsea. It’s not only about passion with Lampard, he’s also bright as they come.

Bad news for Direby though if this happens

I'm similar but then I think Lampard played all his career in the Prem. Therefore you would think he would be well suited to take a job in the prem.

I do think its a little early to get him into such a big job. If he gets Derby into the prem then its a perfect platform for him to manage in the prem and gain that experience before taking the Chelsea job.

Id be amazed if Chelsea not only get rid of Sarri but then get Lampard in as manager.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, StanSP said:

What's the special deal about Graham Potter then? How's he grabbed a Premier League opportunity? 

Not saying it's a bad thing as it makes a change from the old recycling of the likes of Hughes, Pardew, Allardyce etc being given jobs but will Potter keep Brighton up? 

Was thinking exactly the same. Next to no experience in England let alone the premier league. Finishing 10th with Swansea was hardly an achievement.

4 year deal too. This could easily end in tears.

2 hours ago, Stadt said:

United cock up so many times it's hilarious :appl: pure panic mode

Edited by bfox

2 minutes ago, Stadt said:

Took Ostersunds from the Swedish 4th tier to the top flight, won the Swedish cup and then beat Arsenal in the Europa League.

Swansea were in a right mess, they’ve been asset stripped and barely replaced players. Finishing 10th playing tidy football under the circumstances is a steady achievement.

That's fine and I'm not downplaying anything he's achieved so far, especially the Championship challenge with Swansea given their financial circumstances. 

The Ostersunds thing can't be overstated though - is Swedish football that good? 

Brighton in the Premier League, especially given how they barely made it to the end of the season, is a whole new level though. Will he be given the time to recover IF they get relegated? Or are they immediately expecting comfortable mid-table finishes? Harsh on him if it is the latter and then survives but hasn't met those expectations. 

2 hours ago, Stadt said:

Given how much they had to pay off Mourinho, I can't see them letting go of Solsjkaer just yet as it'd mean another multi-million pound payout again with it being so early in his contract. 

I think if Utd get rid of the deadwood accumulated over the last few years and start bringing through some of their own (Chong and Gomes for example) with a few more wise acquisitions and not expensive lumps like Lukaku and Sanchez, I can't see them doing that badly or him getting sacked. All ifs and buts though. Signing a 30yo Perisic doesn't seem the greatest of business to start off with... 

1 minute ago, StanSP said:

That's fine and I'm not downplaying anything he's achieved so far, especially the Championship challenge with Swansea given their financial circumstances. 

The Ostersunds thing can't be overstated though - is Swedish football that good? 

Brighton in the Premier League, especially given how they barely made it to the end of the season, is a whole new level though. Will he be given the time to recover IF they get relegated? Or are they immediately expecting comfortable mid-table finishes? Harsh on him if it is the latter and then survives but hasn't met those expectations. 

The problem at Brighton was that Hughton had a reasonably talented squad but played so defensively with it. I’m sure Brighton would rather go down with Potter than Hughton because he’s a much more progressive manager, Hughton reaches his ceiling as a manager in a lower mid table spot whereas Potter has greater potential.

It’s a risk appointing him but sticking with a manager that had won 3 in 23 (or whatever it was) is surely riskier. Fair play to Brighton for not settling for awful football and bad results just because Hughton’s a nice bloke. 

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, StanSP said:

Given how much they had to pay off Mourinho, I can't see them letting go of Solsjkaer just yet as it'd mean another multi-million pound payout again with it being so early in his contract. 

I think if Utd get rid of the deadwood accumulated over the last few years and start bringing through some of their own (Chong and Gomes for example) with a few more wise acquisitions and not expensive lumps like Lukaku and Sanchez, I can't see them doing that badly or him getting sacked. All ifs and buts though. Signing a 30yo Perisic doesn't seem the greatest of business to start off with... 

Yeah they won’t sack him but letting Solskjaer/Woodward spend a load on players will cost more than sacking him and getting a competent manager in.

The problems at United run deeper than just the manager but Allegri as an example is going to get more out that squad even without additions than what OGS will.

13 minutes ago, StanSP said:

Personally  I think Potter is a better appointment than Lampard at Chelsea.

Potter is a very good coach.

2 hours ago, FIF said:

Personally  I think Potter is a better appointment than Lampard at Chelsea.

Potter is a very good coach.

I agree. Derby to Chelsea is a much higher jump than Swansea to Brighton. 

Potter's got something a bit different about him. Not going to say he'll be a huge success but it isn't impossible that he is - Hughton on the other hand I think would've taken Brighton down next year, either that or sacked mid-season.

As others have stated fair play to Brighton for striving for better.

• Like 2

Yeah Potter clearly has some real quality about him. Ask any Swansea fan, they’ve no idea how they didn’t finish bottom let alone almost make a run for the play offs! 

As upset as they are there’s not been a bad word said about him as in their eyes he’s stopped them from doing a Sunderland! 

Brighton have also been tracking his progress for four seasons so he clearly fits whatever they’ve been looking for.

I’ve even seen press speculating about him being the next England manager already... I wouldn’t be surprised, Ashworth himself said he’d been monitoring him for a while (possibly with U21’s in mind) so with his connection to England, that sort of appointment after a good spell at Brighton wouldn’t surprise me at all! 

I love his name mind.... sounds proper conference north manager lol 

If Ashworth gets recruitment right this summer they could have a proper dream team on their hands there at Brighton... it’s also no surprise fans of Dans past club WBA wish he was still their sporting director! 

Edited by AjcW
  • Like 2

I've got a weird feeling they'll be a surprise package this season Brighton. That's some turnaround from a week ago where I thought they were basically nailed on for the drop. I do wonder if they haven't actually recruited that badly and that it's more that Hughton's too limited to get the best from some of these players.

Could be being very harsh but I'll be intrigued to see how they do. Potter's intrigued me for a while. He was someone I hoped we'd have looked at (I would sooner Rodgers though).

• Like 4

Last season's thread is locked so putting this in here.

From the Merc

Premier League injury record 2018-19

Manchester United: 61 injuries 1,1392 days lost

Tottenham Hotspur: 42-1,140

Liverpool: 37-801

Huddersfield Town: 36-1,039

Newcastle United: 36-1,061

Arsenal: 35-1,316.

Cardiff City: 35-1,075

Manchester City: 35-1,134.

Bournemouth: 33-1,108

Watford: 33-853

Crystal Palace: 30-777

Chelsea: 29-466

Southampton: 28-873

Everton: 27-557

West Ham United: 27-1,287

Burnley: 25-809

Brighton and Hove Albion: 22-770

Fulham: 19-714

Leicester City: 13-461

Wolves: 5-88

• Like 1

1 minute ago, davieG said:

Last season's thread is locked so putting this in here.

From the Merc

Premier League injury record 2018-19

Manchester United: 61 injuries 1,1392 days lost

Tottenham Hotspur: 42-1,140

Liverpool: 37-801

Huddersfield Town: 36-1,039

Newcastle United: 36-1,061

Arsenal: 35-1,316.

Cardiff City: 35-1,075

Manchester City: 35-1,134.

Bournemouth: 33-1,108

Watford: 33-853

Crystal Palace: 30-777

Chelsea: 29-466

Southampton: 28-873

Everton: 27-557

West Ham United: 27-1,287

Burnley: 25-809

Brighton and Hove Albion: 22-770

Fulham: 19-714

Leicester City: 13-461

Wolves: 5-88

Would be interesting to see the breakdown of that. Amartey's big injury is about half of that, so presumably James isn't included in the list. Evans had a few spells out, Maguire and Soyuncu both missed a few gameweeks. Can't think of any other major injuries...

1 minute ago, Xen said:

Would be interesting to see the breakdown of that. Amartey's big injury is about half of that, so presumably James isn't included in the list. Evans had a few spells out, Maguire and Soyuncu both missed a few gameweeks. Can't think of any other major injuries...

Here's a link to the article

https://www.leicestermercury.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/leicester-city-sit-premier-league-2893059

Can’t quite work out Manchester U’s transfer tactics this summer. 

Grumble about a fee on a Swansea winger never played in the PL. 

Interested in Longstaff who plays occasionally for Newcastle. 

Now tabling a £7million from a kid from Stoke playing centre back. 

They’ve gone from one scale of the transfer market to the next !