Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Aus Fox

Premier League Thread 2019/20

With the players we have been linked too (Ibe, Llorente etc...) and the unlikeliness of signing Tielemans, we aren't going to end up anywhere near top 7
imagine a front 3 off Gray Llorente and Ibe  

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, H.a.r.r.y said:

With the players we have been linked too (Ibe, Llorente etc...) and the unlikeliness of signing Tielemans, we aren't going to end up anywhere near top 7
imagine a front 3 off Gray Llorente and Ibe  

Bit of a pessimistic post this pal, do you think we're actually headed towards a poor window?

The links thus far have been a bit shit but I don't believe any of them have any real legs. I'm sure we'll have our targets and i'll be glad if the club have kept them under wraps

• Like 1

Interesting news about Newcastle. Money doesn’t automatically = success though, with Rafa there they’d have a great chance of breaking top 6 with smart investment but it’s not a given when you think about their boardroom/football operators. 

Having a stronger Newcastle isn’t the best news for us but the league will only get stronger and more competitive, which is also a good thing. The more clubs that can challenge and take points off the top 6 the better really - both for us and for the league in general 

Are you ready for Abu Dhabi 2 - The Sequel?  The original has been quite the hit.  Irresistible eye candy, though many find it morally corrosive.

Limitless source of funds.  No need to concern themselves with profit or financial norms.

Best of the rest" could be eighth place within a few years.

nufc-bz.JPG.659652e01504f0ecff63261bd9a66399.JPG

p.s. not to forget this ...  

Qatar in talks to buy stake in Leeds United

Deal would allow gas-rich Gulf state to enter English football for the first time

A person familiar with the talks said Qatar was seeking a controlling stake in Leeds United. “Qatar Sports Investments will be entering English Football, and Leeds is the club of their choice,” the person said. “Qatar has been looking into the prospects of entering English Football for the past two years.”

Qatar is the world’s richest nation in per capita terms and, like other Gulf states, has been increasingly using sport to project its soft power. The small nation controversially won the bid to host the 2022 football World Cup and has invested tens of billions of dollars in sport.

https://www.ft.com/content/6e42c740-7f1e-11e9-b592-5fe435b57a3b

:revenge:

Edited by KingsX
  • Sad 1

Back in the early 00’s we had rumours of a breakaway, elite European Super League. The idea being that all the big clubs like Manchester United, Ajax, Bayern, Barca, Madrid, Rangers etc would leave the respective national league and play each other every week instead.

If you look at this now, this league is the Premier League. The best young players in the world are starting to gravitate towards England. 

If true, investment in Newcastle only makes the league stronger!  

8 hours ago, Goober said:

Bit of a pessimistic post this pal, do you think we're actually headed towards a poor window?

The links thus far have been a bit shit but I don't believe any of them have any real legs. I'm sure we'll have our targets and i'll be glad if the club have kept them under wraps

I hope you are correct as Ibe and Lorente would be truly frightening additions.  Chuck in Slimani and Silva coming back and you have a real 'wrist slashing window'.

With Newcastle about to become the next club with mega wealthy owners, it’s essential that we hold onto our best players until the new training ground arrives. Hopefully we can also obtain European football to encourage our targets to come here. 

Will be interesting  to see how the geordies get around FFP - does anyone have their three year running profit numbers ?  It’s feasible that a new owner could pump in 100/150m + in nett transfer spend this summer with no issues at all. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Stadt said:

Everton and West Ham have loads of money and they’ve still been shit for the last 5 years 

Everton and West Ham: ₤100M each in owner financing over a decade.

Man City: almost ₤1300M.

West Ham and Man City generated equal funds from operations, but Man City spent almost six times as much.

2118762945_PLsource2.thumb.JPG.230149f6d0420aaa430ffef1a0c55c98.JPG

There is absolutely no comparison.  If this is for real, it's the Man City ownership coming back for a second bite.

Some on the toon forum already looking forward to a brave new world:

GIVE ME THAT SWEET, SWEET BLOOD MONEY

barney-duff-veins.gif.78b317ab13069264b6267fa2bf098174.gif

Looks like Newcastle United will BEHEADING to the top of the Premier League.

Ive said it before, I don’t want Arab owners. I’d be more than happy if we owned & operated along  the lines that Leicester are. Just a club moving forward who we could be proud of.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

59 minutes ago, KingsX said:

Everton and West Ham: ₤100M each in owner financing over a decade.

Man City: almost ₤1300M.

West Ham and Man City generated equal funds from operations, but Man City spent almost six times as much.

2118762945_PLsource2.thumb.JPG.230149f6d0420aaa430ffef1a0c55c98.JPG

There is absolutely no comparison.  If this is for real, it's the Man City ownership coming back for a second bite.

Some on the toon forum already looking forward to a brave new world:

GIVE ME THAT SWEET, SWEET BLOOD MONEY

barney-duff-veins.gif.78b317ab13069264b6267fa2bf098174.gif

Looks like Newcastle United will BEHEADING to the top of the Premier League.

Ive said it before, I don’t want Arab owners. I’d be more than happy if we owned & operated along  the lines that Leicester are. Just a club moving forward who we could be proud of.

What's the difference between rich Arab owners and rich Asian owners? 

I think some fans, not you, are rather jealous of man city and teams "buying" success but don't see our situation as being very similar.

If we want to compete at the top of the Prem our owners need to make sure we have the resources to do that.

15 hours ago, Goober said:

Nothing screams improvement thus far

10 minutes ago, KingsX said:

There are quite significant differences.

(1) Asian billionaires are business people of immense (yet limited) means.  Most run their clubs as businesses, which means investment is constrained by the need to generate both cash, and some combination of profit and/or escalating franchise value.

Petro-states are not businesses, they are regimes.  They control the entire resources of wealthy countries.  They have entered the football biz for PR reasons.  Maintaining profitability is at most a matter of hiring good enough wallpaper-hangers to cover up the actual construction of the building.

(With some Chinese owners, the truth might be in between the two.  Division of business ownership between the Communist Party -- the state -- and individuals is often very murky.)

(2) We know that some Asian billionaires are human beings with values and beating hearts, who maintain an atmosphere at a football club that both fans and staff can feel good about. 

It’s enough to say that petro-regimes have questionable human rights records, without getting into the details.  (We all enjoy affordable oil whether it funds our club or not.)  But not even MUFC fans are kidding themselves that they aren’t part of a bit of a devils’ bargain.  If the Qataris were to buy Leeds, many of their supporters would happily hold their noses.  But there would be some cognitive dissonance, and rightly so.

No one is kidding themselves that LCFC would be more than a yo-yo club had it not lucked into the “right” Asian billionaries.  But those are big, big differences to me.

Sorry you lost me at "There". I'm just a football fan. 

3 minutes ago, FIF said:

Said the man of 17,000 posts (and a "few" arguments) ;)   Not having any of that, FIF  lol

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, Fox92 said:

Can't be doing with Newcastle being rich. They're already hyped up enough by the media and that's with them being shit. At least their fans are sounder than Man City's though.

Man City's fans used to be great when they were a mediocre side - packing out their home stadium despite being in League One, always had a great atmosphere back then too. But these days their fans are so far up their own arses their nobs are brown and the atmosphere is by and large awful. It will take a while, but I can see exactly the same thing happening to Newcastle if they are brought by super money. To be honest to some degree it's happened to us too. Success attracts the plastics and thus the fanbase and atmosphere goes to pot.

But I don't really have a solution for it. As @Sly mentions the Premier League is almost the "Super League" now anyway, with all 4 finalists in the European Cups being from England. I can sadly also see a breakaway league happening too which I think will ruin football for the traditionalist, but the money the state owned clubs have is too crazy and they will want to sew up a monopoly with such a league to stop others getting in and protecting their position. You can only hope that all of the domestic associations block this from happening, but money talks.

1 hour ago, FIF said:

Man City (and now Newcastle's owners?) are the Nahyan brothers - implicated in torture, corruption money-laundering and war crimes in Yemen.

Our owner runs a duty-free shop.

Arsenal

Aston Villa

Bournemouth

Brighton

Burnley

Chelsea

Crystal Palace

Everton

Leicester City

Liverpool

Manchester City

Manchester United

Newcastle

Norwich

Sheffield United
Southampton

Tottenham

Watford

West Ham 

Wolves 

Wolves

9th place again! Something of a 90s feel to it, minus Bournemouth, Burnley and Brighton. 

Edited by David Guiza

5 minutes ago, David Guiza said:

Arsenal

Aston Villa

Bournemouth

Brighton

Burnley

Chelsea

Crystal Palace

Everton

Leicester City

Liverpool

Manchester City

Manchester United

Newcastle

Norwich

Sheffield United
Southampton

Tottenham

Watford

West Ham 

Wolves 

Wolves

9th place again! Something of a 90s feel to it, minus Bournemouth, Burnley and Brighton. 

We’ll be playing some 12 pointers against Wolves in the battle for a European spot next season then 

• Haha 3

10 minutes ago, David Guiza said:

Arsenal

Aston Villa

Bournemouth

Brighton

Burnley

Chelsea

Crystal Palace

Everton

Leicester City

Liverpool

Manchester City

Manchester United

Newcastle

Norwich

Sheffield United
Southampton

Tottenham

Watford

West Ham 

Wolves 

Wolves

Wolves, eh?

So annoying, they named them twice!

• Sad 1
  • Haha 2