Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Aus Fox

Premier League Thread 2019/20

40 minutes ago, Nicolo Barella said:

Not going to lie, I'm puzzled by everyone's dismissal of Mourinho at Spurs. He did amazingly at Man Utd with a much worse squad, and the last season things fell apart because he lost the backing of the board and then basically conspired to get sacked lol. I don't think it will be a long lasting project (it's Mourinho after all) but there's definitely strong potential for it to go well for Spurs. They definitely scare me a lot more than Arsenal and Man Utd now.

Great manager. But the squad needs rebuilding and Levy is a tight bastard. They need a RB, CB, and a CM or 2. That will cost hundreds of millions. He will give them a respectable finish this season but when the summer comes he will throw his dummy out because Levy isn't willing to spend £80m on a player Jose wants.

13 minutes ago, Koke said:

Great manager. But the squad needs rebuilding and Levy is a tight bastard. They need a RB, CB, and a CM or 2. That will cost hundreds of millions. He will give them a respectable finish this season but when the summer comes he will throw his dummy out because Levy isn't willing to spend £80m on a player Jose wants.

Levy spent £100 million last summer, and with the restriction to their cashflow that the construction of the stadium provided gone, I don't see why they won't be able to spend. Plus, Mourinho spoke at length whilst unemployed about how at his next job, he would clear the air with the club's management before joining to make sure they were on the same page. I highly doubt he joins Spurs, with the infamous Levy, without ensuring that both parties will be satisfied with each other in that regard. Also, do you really think Levy, the shrewdest man in football, makes a move like Mourinho without covering all his bases?

In addition, it's possible he convinces one of Vertonghen or Alderweireld to re-sign to the club, which lessens their need for transfers. 

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, ealingfox said:

Obviously he's not making it to 2023, but they will almost certainly win something in the process before his customary third season meltdown. It's just a question of what they win rather than whether.

Personally I'm past caring and these days I pretty much hope they do win something if only so I can laugh at the braindead dullards on this forum who obsessively make the same 3 or 4 comments about them over and over again because they wanted to win the league 4 years ago.

Bottlers mate :ph34r:

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Nicolo Barella said:

Levy spent £100 million last summer, and with the restriction to their cashflow that the construction of the stadium provided gone, I don't see why they won't be able to spend. Plus, Mourinho spoke at length whilst unemployed about how at his next job, he would clear the air with the club's management before joining to make sure they were on the same page. I highly doubt he joins Spurs, with the infamous Levy, without ensuring that both parties will be satisfied with each other in that regard. Also, do you really think Levy, the shrewdest man in football, makes a move like Mourinho without covering all his bases?

In addition, it's possible he convinces one of Vertonghen or Alderweireld to re-sign to the club, which lessens their need for transfers. 

Is he the 'shrewdest man in football' still though? He is no doubt shrewd, probably more so difficult but he isnt the only person who gets value these days and that difficulty to work with is probably what's put spurs in this position. 

10 minutes ago, ARTY_FOX said:

Is he the 'shrewdest man in football' still though? He is no doubt shrewd, probably more so difficult but he isnt the only person who gets value these days and that difficulty to work with is probably what's put spurs in this position. 

I can't think of anyone else shrewder. He probably isn't, but he's very high profile. He's certainly up there.

I think what put Spurs in this position was the stadium and bad luck, and had little to do with Levy. It's what prevented them from getting any signings the summer before last (remember de Jong saying he almost joined Spurs instead of staying with Ajax for a season?). Pochettino also refused any signings that weren't first choice which made transfers harder. 

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, ealingfox said:

Obviously he's not making it to 2023, but they will almost certainly win something in the process before his customary third season meltdown. It's just a question of what they win rather than whether.

Personally I'm past caring and these days I pretty much hope they do win something if only so I can laugh at the braindead dullards on this forum who obsessively make the same 3 or 4 comments about them over and over again because they wanted to win the league 4 years ago.

Yeah I'm over Spurs and kind of tired of them. Pre-2016 I was completely indifferent to them. Disliked them for a bit after 2016 but that has long died down for me. 

1 hour ago, Nicolo Barella said:

I can't think of anyone else shrewder. He probably isn't, but he's very high profile. He's certainly up there.

I think what put Spurs in this position was the stadium and bad luck, and had little to do with Levy. It's what prevented them from getting any signings the summer before last (remember de Jong saying he almost joined Spurs instead of staying with Ajax for a season?). Pochettino also refused any signings that weren't first choice which made transfers harder. 

I would say he started off shrewd but as he got more and more praise for it he's drifted off into difficult to deal with. That's worked against spurs, players now doing whatever it takes to leave, have no desire to play,  a team moving backwards in desperate need of some fresh investment. But the persona comes first. Unless he's willing to start paying proper wages top players will continue to want clubs that pay them. 

He's known for being difficult, hes dropped a huge one with erikson and co, because he wouldn't budge or negotiate. Personally I think he's believed his hype too much and its catching up. 

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, ARTY_FOX said:

I would say he started off shrewd but as he got more and more praise for it he's drifted off into difficult to deal with. That's worked against spurs, players now doing whatever it takes to leave, have no desire to play,  a team moving backwards in desperate need of some fresh investment. But the persona comes first. Unless he's willing to start paying proper wages top players will continue to want clubs that pay them. 

He's known for being difficult, hes dropped a huge one with erikson and co, because he wouldn't budge or negotiate. Personally I think he's believed his hype too much and its catching up. 

Fair enough, I do think he dropped the ball a little on Eriksen, Vertonghen and Alderweireld. I think we'll have to see. I certainly think he still has enough to him to have worked it out with Mourinho prior to appointing him.

16 minutes ago, Nicolo Barella said:

Fair enough, I do think he dropped the ball a little on Eriksen, Vertonghen and Alderweireld. I think we'll have to see. I certainly think he still has enough to him to have worked it out with Mourinho prior to appointing him.

I think mourinho would have asked for certain guarantees ofcourse, but I'd be amazed if levy changes his approach entirely. I think Mourinho will do well at spurs aswell unfortunately. But then along we stay amazing I dont care lol

2 hours ago, ARTY_FOX said:

"Shrewdest Man in Football"?......... Sorry that award has to go to Brendan Rodgers.

Without doubt coming to Leicester City Football Club in this time and place was an absolute masterstroke. Rodgers blind sided me that's for sure!

4 hours ago, Nicolo Barella said:

According to today's Guardian he's been told he will have to work with the existing squad as there is no money for an overhaul in January.

They have a debt of £630 so the restriction to cashflow has hardly disappeared jst because the stadium is complted.

Edited by hackneyfox

Been told by an ITK (worked there in a senior role and usually very reliable) that LCFC stopped Levy talking to Brendan but if they had he would have loved to have gone there and was very keen ...   can one of our ITK's please tell me this is defo bolox as its made my bottom lip come out and it won't go back in ...    :(

Edit  :   Hold on ..  just seen another relevant thread which I will now read ...

Edited by Countryfox

5 hours ago, Nicolo Barella said:

I still think Levy is the shrewdest at creating long-term value for his/ENIC’s purse, turning pennies into pounds.  Revenues have reached the “top six” (finally equal to Arsenal’s) and they own a new, massively valuable stadium.  All credit to him, it beats the Glazer model of using your club as an ATM, no skin in the game required.

But in creating success on the pitch, no.  His business model has crashed when it comes to maintaining and replenishing a balanced, committed playing staff.  If he was truly shrewd about football and human psychology, he’d have seen that coming and acted in time.

While Poch was obviously the perfect appointment, maybe that was partly just luck?  And for Jose to work as more than a short-term tonic that eventually kills the patient, will certainly require luck.

1 hour ago, hackneyfox said:

According to today's Guardian he's been told he will have to work with the existing squad as there is no money for an overhaul in January.

They have a debt of £630 so the restriction to cashflow has hardly disappeared jst because the stadium is complted.

I imagine he's agreed to work with the existing squad through January, mainly because it's not an awful one, especially compared to Man Utd when he was there.

Yes, their debt is large, but that doesn't affect cashflow as you might think. They have to pay interest, not debt, so the effect on their cashflow is lessened. Their matchday income has surged compared to WHL at the new stadium, and they no longer pay £30 million a year in rent for Wembley. In addition once they sell off naming rights that will add another huge annual boost.

TIFO football has a decent video on this although it's a bit out of date.