Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Aus Fox

Premier League Thread 2019/20

1 minute ago, UniFox21 said:

Why was that a retake? 

Did the Norwich player intervene and clear the ball? If not, then why was it retaken?

Norwich player got to the ball and cleared it after encroaching.

4 minutes ago, Facecloth said:

Norwich player got to the ball and cleared it after encroaching.

I assume that’s the important factor - arsenal player also encroached but didn’t get involved in clearing the rebound - the Norwich player who cleared had gained an unfair advantage by encroaching 

and there were still two Norwich players encroaching on the retake ..... footballer stereotypes !!!!

Edited by st albans fox

8 minutes ago, UniFox21 said:

Why was that a retake? 

Did the Norwich player intervene and clear the ball? If not, then why was it retaken?

If a defending player encroaches and the penalty isn't scored, it's a retake. VAR was able to intervene because the player who cleared the ball was encroaching

Edited by Guest

2 minutes ago, st albans fox said:

I assume that’s the important factor - arsenal player also encroached but didn’t get involved in clearing the rebound - the Norwich player who cleared had gained an unfair advantage by encroaching 

and there wes still two Norwich players encroaching on the retake ..... footballer stereotypes !!!!

We got to the ball first against Brighton, but they encroached too so we got a retake. But unfair really. Defending team get punished even if the attacking team benefits

I know Leicester benefited from pretty much the same exact scenario last weekend, but I can't help but feel disappointed with VAR due to how petty it is. When they brought it to PL, I was not thinking that it'd be used to disallow goals due to an unintentional hand ball in the build up play 30 seconds before the actual goal was scored. Or, retaking a penalty due to a defender stepping into the area a fraction of a second too early. It's almost as if they are looking for reasons to take away big moments from the game.

edit: actually, the Vardy penalty situation was different but Maddison gets the goal after Brighton encroachment. For FPL reasons, I liked the retake lol, but Maddison getting the rebound and the goal would just overrule encroachment in my opinion.

Edited by cstrafe

1 minute ago, foxes_rule1978 said:

Maddison scores on the rebound though, so it was better for them? 

But we got another chance. Whatever happens the attacking team get another chance. Surely if the attacking team encroach and gain from it they lose the penalty.

Just now, Facecloth said:

But we got another chance. Whatever happens the attacking team get another chance. Surely if the attacking team encroach and gain from it they lose the penalty.

Ah I get your thinking, the penalty gets retaken who ever causes the encroachment, if we are going to start being so harsh then yes that should be looked at I agree.